SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I should make a hello post.

:wave:

Just picked up my first Volvo (first Euro car for that matter). 2006 V50 T5 AWD with 77k miles on it.

Here is the only pic I have of it so far, at the dealer lot right after I signed the papers.

So far I have only replaced the low beam and fog lights with silver star ultras, ordered weathertech floor liners, and ordered full LED bulb replacements (should be fun when they get here). Also ordered a remote/key which I'll have to get programmed. Computer says 3 are programmed but I only got 1.

Things that need to be done, in no particular order:
1. Tires. I have 3 Faulkens and 1 Conti which down to the wear bars. Going to go with Conti DWSs.
2. Tranny fluid swap. I'm sure its never been done.
3. Paint brake calipers.
4. Replace sway bar bushings.
5. Install usb/aux/bluetooth box.
6. Tint windows.
7. Exhaust. Stock is way too quite. I dont want loud but want some sound.
8. Find cover for mirror/sensor. Noticed mine is missing for some reason.

So much to do, so little time and money.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Welcome Gizmo and congrats on your new acquisition! Looks great and I'v always been found of the red so you'll have a blast make this little one something special.
Checkout what crossie did with his. A Lot of inspiration there...

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
GiZMo : Clicky Clak - from the Front are - Sway Bar Links , as You most likely know from visiting sites around the Net - the Tire should be pretty equal in Dia. for AWD and
same Brand - Belt Bias etc. for Safety . ( Saying - Just Incase ) Hoping everyone has all the Tools ( Information ) They need to have a Great Volvo .

Another Wagon - Cool - You'll like the DSW's in the CO Winters , and those are Dam good in the Cold Wet also .

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Looks like he's done several of the things I want to do (no plans for spoiler or lowering though). One project I forgot to add is to figure out how to make the accessory plugs 12v full time. I have stuff that needs to stay powered up when the ignition is off. It was easy on my Rodeo, just remove the relay and install a jumper. Dont have diagrams yet to figure out where things are on the volvo.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question time for anyone that can answer. Which version of VIDA do I need to run on 64 bit win7? I tried 2012B but couldnt get the file hack to work so I could log in. Just got 2010D so I could use the automated file but apparently it only works on 32bit and wont even install. Can PM me if you dont want to post in the thread.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Ben a little Busy : also just got done redoing - My Raid Card and New SD 540 MB/s - Back Up System .

Windows & will load 16 Bit and Dos base , what File Type are You dealing with on that other Version .

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what the instructions file says to do

1. Run the CD-ROM, choose the languages:[EN-GB...], install it to list, till all installations finished, then restart the computer.

2. After restarted, once the service icon (The bottom of the right corner) is available (VIDA Status: Running) but we have a bad news: Volvo changed the security settings so the traditional patch is not working.....

Patching steps:
1. copy "license" file to the C:\ (root folder)
2. download and install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8961
OR
"MS SQL Studio" folder
3. After installation run SQL Server Management Studio Express console. Login parameters:
Servername: localhost\VIDA
Authentication: Windows Authentication
4. Try to open Databases -> AccessServer. If you receive error message you need to delegate access to these databases (Google is your friend, or ask an SQL admin)
5. open "filldb.sql"
6. run query
7. copy VIDA2012A_patch\VIDA content to you VIDA folder (default install path: C:\VIDA and overwrite all files)

I hope we can provide automatic tool to patch the system :(

User Name: "admin" or "1"
I did all that and everything seemed to go as it should but when I run VIDA I cant type anything into the user name box. The cursor is flashing but nothing will type in. I uninstalled and tried again just now and same issue.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I had an Older Version and Found - There was No on line Data Base , or a Huge amount Files ( Data ) on My V40 - This was when Volvo/Ford were bring the On-Line Support
to a Halt . I haven't tried it since - If I have Not tried it lately or I'd be of more Help , You will have to load up a Crack Key for that . Hope some of the other - will Jump In .

I Feel for Ya, that's like trying to Update system Bio's - Manually ! lol

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Looks good. welcome!
another 'o6 AWD wagon - w00t!
m66?
for #4 i would recommend upgrading to Elevate RSB.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately no, its geartronic. In all the time I was searching I never saw 1 AWD volvo with a manual. Living in the state with the lowest obesity rate you would think there wouldnt be so many lazy people.

Also, after many hours of frustrtion and downloading I finally got VIDA 2012A to work on Win7 Pro 64bit.

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Unfortunately no, its geartronic. In all the time I was searching I never saw 1 AWD volvo with a manual.
Finding GOOD used manual Volvos in hard... Unless you don't care about any other options.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Yes! Another red pre-facelift V50! Woot! Welcome to the club. Looks exactly like mine the day I picked it up from the dealer! :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes! At least people here are glad I bought a red wagon LOL. Been getting grief from my friends and co-workers over it but I dont care, I like my little red Vulva.

My list of things to do is changing slightly. After seeing whats involved with changing front sway bar bushings and the fact they are vulcanized to the bar (wtf?) looks like that wont be getting done any time soon. Normally the first thing I do on a vehicle is replace them with polly bushings. Looks like I"m going to do an engine flush soon. Just checked the oil (assumed dealer changed it before selling) and its pretty dark, also looking in the fill hole its not nasty but not as clean in there as I would like. I'm also missing the plastic "skid plate" so will have to get a metal one and install it.

Dont even have the title yet and its costing me a fortune. But once all the initial maintenance and repair stuff is over I shouldnt have to spend too much to keep it in shape.

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
The engine skid plate was an option from the factory. So you're not "missing" it so to speak, you just don't have one.

Some have gone with the factory one, you can also get an aluminum one from iPd, or wait and get one from MillerMotoring once Joseph finishes the test fitting.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Really! no I'm pretty sure all cars came with an undercarriage plastic cover. It's not that big an expense and really important for them to keep the car free of problems during the warranty period so I'd be surprise if they made it optional.
Maybe there's an optional metal one from Volvo... I don't know

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The metal one from Volvo is optional (which may be the one I get) but from what I've read so far the plastic one was on all of them.

Now I'm kind of nervous though. After what I saw with the oil y'day I decided to stop at grease monkey down the street and get the oil changed (conventional 5w30) so I could start an Auto Rx cleaning. OMG! From the looks of the oil filter I dont think the previous owner ever changed oil. My phone died so I couldnt get a pic but the filter was all sludge. Looks like I'll be doing the aggressive Auto Rx cleaning (2 bottles for 1k miles, change with conventional oil, run another 1k miles then change again) and see where I stand. Hopefully the internals arent too bad. Why do people have to be such dumb asses? Hopefully the oil was changed at least occasionally and just the filter wasnt changed. Still not good but better then the alternative.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts