SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently considering Todd's of race s60R and the Phuzzy DP.Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
None of them are legal, technically, because they don't carry a CARB number. The CARB process is difficult at best. However, that said, most of the DP's pass no problem because they have a catalytic converter and don't "appear" to be aftermarket parts.

It also depends on what smog shop you go to. Some are more modification friendly than others. Although its getting harder to find a good shop thanks to CA making the process to stay smog-certified more difficult and expensive for the technicians.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
With heat shields back in place, the down pipe isn't real visible and usually not an issue. The less the smog tech knows about Volvo's the better.

·
Registered
528 Posts
None of them are legal, technically, because they don't carry a CARB number. The CARB process is difficult at best. However, that said, most of the DP's pass no problem because they have a catalytic converter and don't "appear" to be aftermarket parts.
AFAIK, Phuz chose his cat specifically to be 50-state legal. His website says that it is CARB-certified. That is one of the reasons that I originally went with his DP over the rest. I have passed smog successfully in SF with my Phuz DP installed.

It also depends on what smog shop you go to. Some are more modification friendly than others. Although its getting harder to find a good shop thanks to CA making the process to stay smog-certified more difficult and expensive for the technicians
Agreed. I'm now running an EST DP with a known-to-be-49-state-legal-guess-which-one-it-probably-isn't-legal-in cat. I expect to still pass smog since the shop I go to does not go digging to look at the cat to see the CARB number, they just do a quick visual "does it look modified?" (answer = no when heat shield is in place) and a sniff test. Worst case, the EST DP is clamped so I can pick up a CARB-certified cat, get some V-band clamps welded on it and swap it out.

Phuz just posted a teaser for a new DP + cutout that he is working on, might want to check that out too... Mmmmmm...

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^ Hey, that's a pic of my R!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I failed with an OBX. Had to modify a stock downpipe with an angled flange. That passed.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Nice workaround.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts

It also depends on what smog shop you go to. Some are more modification friendly than others. Although its getting harder to find a good shop thanks to CA making the process to stay smog-certified more difficult and expensive for the technicians.
Has your dad's passed?

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Here's some good info about our 2500rpm troubleness:

Volvo has an answer!
TJ 26732.
Check for codes and readiness, If OK, vehicle should be sent to a CA referee for retesting. The customer must present the invoice from a Volvo retailer stating that the
vehicle was evaluated and no faults were found.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts