SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - sorry for the noob questions. I have done a lot of searching though.... :)

I am about to purchase an S60 and, although I am older with teenage kids, would like a slightly more aggressive look for the standard T-5 car. I'm not willing to spend the $$ for an r-design and don't want the T6.

For me, I would like it if the wheels filled the wheel wells slightly more and don't want anything larger than 18" to keep the ride quality high (daily driver).

What would make more sense money-wise? Swap out the regular shocks/springs for those from the dynamic package, r-design, or aftermarket springs/shocks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you were going the dynamic package route, you should try to find a 2012 T5 that's still around that has the package already. It already comes with the 18" wheels and the different suspension... As far as I know, though, it's not lower than the stock T5 suspension, so you will still have a gap in the wheel well. It won't look as bad with the bigger wheels since there will be less tire to make the gap more noticeable. The R-design suspension is lower by about 14mm I think (not sure if I remember it right or not). I have an RD and I can definitely tell its lower than the T5s and non-RD T6s that I've driven. There is still a little too much gap in the wheel well IMO, but I wont drop it anymore because it's comfortable the way it is (not too rough for having the sportiest suspensions offered on the current S60) and the height seems to be good enough to keep me from scraping on speed bumps and curbs. If you go the RD route, though, I can't imagine that it would be cheap...they changed quite a few parts on the suspension and parts and labor are sure to add up. At that point you're better off doing something aftermarket (which I have no experience with) or just go with the T6. The T6 is fantastic...smooth power delivery...and there's quite a bit for it to deliver ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you are focused on the suspension and the weels are going to be 18s regardless, I would suggest looking into an aftermarket package that includes either Bilstein or Koni shocks and struts and the Eibach or H&R springs. A good match might be a set of Koni FSD shocks/strus with the Eibach springs. You migth also want to look into the IPD rear swaybar and endlinks.

The dynamic package does not lower the car at all and only has a relatively mild improvement in overall handling. The r-design springs are designed for the heavier T6 engine and thus may not be the best fit for the T5. I believe that Volvo did offer a T5 R-design in Europe, but you may have some difficulty finding the parts for that package if you are in the states.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts