SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As has been detailed on here (and Volvospeed) ad nauseum, I bought a C70 and absolutely loathed it. I finally gave it away before headed on an extended trip overseas - yes, just handed the keys and the title to a stranger, more or less - someone with the gumption to ask nicely without being insulting and actually show up on my doorstep. I will need a new car when I return, and I am considering many options. Nothing "newish" comes the way with my requirements (stick shift, RWD, two doors) and my desires (crank windows, no A/C, minimum electronic nanny-gear).

I ask here for a totally neutral opinion (no "fan boys") on two of my choices, or if something else makes sense - I'd appreciate the opinion:

1) 2011 and up V6 Mustang w/ the Perf. Package and nothing else
2) 2009 and up BMW 128i w/ the M-Sport package and nothing else

Overseas Military Sales here in the middle east can get me a "deal" on either car new, but I still find myself looking at used examples from individuals. Opinions?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Between the 2 I would take the mustang. But I am a mustang guy. The BMW is just to little looking for me.

How about an infiniti g37 coupe? They are rear wheel drive. I have the sedan and love it.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Both choices are fine
Why no V8 Mustang?
The 6 is a very good engine but I'm curious.
G37 IS also nice

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. The G37 still reminds me of how far we have gone (in the wrong direction) away from the original 240Z (one of the best cars out of Japan ever). It's HEAVY (3600 lbs - 200 more than the pudgy Stang) and weighed down with a ton of extra stuff that is just going to break on me - like I said, I'd pay extra for a car that didn't have power windows or airbags. I can't even get the G37 in a six speed without automatically getting the sunroof. I have never owned a car with a sunroof that didn't leak on me eventually (and I'm old).

As for the 3.7 305 HP vs the 5.0? Why do I need it? I've owned and/or driven plenty of cars over the past 25 years that felt "fast enough" that couldn't touch the stock V6 ponycar's stats (5.1 0-60, 13.7 in the quarter, 0.96 g lateral acceleration according to MotorTrend).

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
BMW gets my vote but if you're keeping it past the warranty period, go for the Mustang.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I also vote for Stang. The v6 gets downright decent mileage for a 300+hp setup, and there will be a plethora of mods/aftermarket support for it compared to the BMW. Not that the Bimmer is bad by any stretch, and possibly a little more fun in the twisties...

What about the new Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ? Not as fast but more "track" oriented being lightweight with low CoG from the boxer engine...

·
Registered
605 Posts
the car you are looking for was retired in the 70s

Excuse me cuz I'm really a GM performance guy at heart, but you can order a Camaro COPO , the way you want it. Delete everything!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The COPO can't be titled or driven in the US, but you already knew that - and considering it's mission, I'm not surprised that none of the 69 that they are offering for sale come with the V6 and standard six speed transmission. I don't fit in the FR-S / BR-Z twins, unfortunately.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oh god he's back!!!!!
I'm surprised anyone wanted the c70 after all the crap you did to it.

As for your choices, Mustang for sure. The new ones are really nice.

And as much as you complained about the Volvo, we'd never hear the end of it if you got one of those newfangled German cars!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The COPO can't be titled or driven in the US, but you already knew that - and considering it's mission, I'm not surprised that none of the 69 that they are offering for sale come with the V6 and standard six speed transmission. I don't fit in the FR-S / BR-Z twins, unfortunately.
Definitely go with the mustang then. I think it would be a lot more fun than the 128, certainly more raw and entertaining anyways :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh god he's back!!!!!
I'm surprised anyone wanted the c70 after all the crap you did to it.
(/QUOTE]

I gave it away - for free (well, the back of the title said that I sold it for a penny to be fair). She will get more car than she paid for - and I can feel good from a karma standpoint versus just selling a lemon along to the next sucker.

And as much as you complained about the Volvo, we'd never hear the end of it if you got one of those newfangled German cars!
1addicts.com would bear the brunt of my complaining, but just based on their general attitude - I don't think I would get banned for asking if I could install crank down windows in a 128i.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I ask here for a totally neutral opinion (no "fan boys") on two of my choices, or if something else makes sense - I'd appreciate the opinion:

1) 2011 and up V6 Mustang w/ the Perf. Package and nothing else
2) 2009 and up BMW 128i w/ the M-Sport package and nothing else

Overseas Military Sales here in the middle east can get me a "deal" on either car new, but I still find myself looking at used examples from individuals. Opinions?
My brother owns an '05 Mustang V6 coupe. It is loud, the ride is harsh and I personally find the seats to be very uncomfortable. But it has been quite reliable and the performance is pretty good.

I used to own an '06 BMW 325i. All modern BMWs are so computer dependent that it's not even funny. ("Want to install the factory SIRIUS tuner? No problem. We have to hook your car up to a special computer and communicate with the computer in New Jersey to reprogram your car.") My BMW's final straw came when I had to make a 350 mile drive home for a friend's funeral. At the time the car was 3 years old with 35k miles on it. I made it less than a quarter mile on the interstate before the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. I limped it home, got in my '01 Volvo V70 with 170k miles on it and completed the trip without any further problems.

Personally, I'd expand the options beyond those two.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Morgan 3 Wheeler! RWD? Yup and its not even weighed down by a 2nd rear wheel. That second wheel will only break anyway. Power windows? How about no windows, less weight again. Plus those switches and motors will go bad. AC? NO WINDOWS! You get all the fresh air you can breath. The only requirement it doesn't meet is 2 doors but, hey those hinges and handles will only break on you and they add weight.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Morgan 3 Wheeler! RWD? Yup and its not even weighed down by a 2nd rear wheel. That second wheel will only break anyway. Power windows? How about no windows, less weight again. Plus those switches and motors will go bad. AC? NO WINDOWS! You get all the fresh air you can breath. The only requirement it doesn't meet is 2 doors but, hey those hinges and handles will only break on you and they add weight.
Go with a Ariel Atom. Yeah, I know it has 4 wheels, but more=better, right?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I used to own an '06 BMW 325i. All modern BMWs are so computer dependent that it's not even funny.

Personally, I'd expand the options beyond those two.
This is great information, thank you. The "Computer Dependency" is a great reason NOT to buy a BMW -- I truly appreciate it. You know there is a 95 HP difference (totally different engine) between the '06 (210 HP 4.0) and the '11 and up V6 (305 HP 3.7 vvti) Mustang, right?

What "other options" would you suggest for a RWD, stick shift coupe? The Ariel is an awesome, awesome car. It does rain however - so it has as much practicality as the numerous motorcycles currently parked in my garage.

·
Registered
613 Posts
One thing I agree 100% with you on is that stick shift is the ONLY way to drive. With that said, get a Corvette!

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is great information, thank you. The "Computer Dependency" is a great reason NOT to buy a BMW -- I truly appreciate it. You know there is a 95 HP difference (totally different engine) between the '06 (210 HP 4.0) and the '11 and up V6 (305 HP 3.7 vvti) Mustang, right?

What "other options" would you suggest for a RWD, stick shift coupe?
Yes, I do know the engine differences between an '05 and an '11 Mustang. The engine difference isn't going to affect the areas I mentioned, with the exception of improved engine performance. However it's still going to loud, harsh and uncomfortable for me. After reading your commentary on the C70 and if those are your two options, I would recommend you choose the Mustang. Bear in mind it's still going to be equipped with power windows, cruise control and much of the other equipment you don't want.

I really can't help you with other options for a RWD, manual transmission coupe. I haven't been paying a lot of attention to that particular market segment. Nissan makes some nice coupes, but they are like rolling computer games. There's a really nice Cadillac coupe, but it's also going to be loaded down with electronics and I don't know if it is available with a manual transmission. I would assume the Camaro and Challenger have models equipped similarly to the Mustang. I've read that Hyundai makes a pretty nice RWD coupe, but I have no experience with that car.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I know the G37 was mentioned, but how about a 370Z? I test drove one a while back and it was great fun.
Or maybe a Hyundai Genesis coupe? I've heard nothing but good things about those.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I know the G37 was mentioned, but how about a 370Z? I test drove one a while back and it was great fun.
Or maybe a Hyundai Genesis coupe? I've heard nothing but good things about those.
True. I forgot about the Genesis coupe! The revamped 2.0T setup is really nice and a nice balance of power and efficiency, and the new styling is much better than the first gen, imo. Plus it will come with that awesome warranty from Hyundai...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No more turbos either, if I can help it. I will go drive a 3.8 "R-Spec" (the bottom end) six speed Genesis Coupe this weekend to compare to the Mustang. My hope is that it feels lighter and simpler.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts