SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit, my V70 NA is awesome. I spend most of my days at work talking about turbo this, supercharged that and then walk to the parking lot at the end of the day and start my car up, always listening carefully for hope that it magically turned into a 2.5T or T5...it hasn’t happened.

Then I take it on a out of the blue road trip to Assateague Island, 340-360 mile road trip both ways with A/C blasting and cruise set at 60-70mph. On this trip I set a PR. Drum roll please....

I hope someone drummed because I got 540 miles on 16.4 gallons, with the rest being mostly highway miles to and from work.

Yes I stretched it, yes I drove on "empty" for 50 miles, but wouldn’t you? I blame on the sun poisoning..

What dooes the average 2.5T/T5 get on a tank? I always use 89/91 with 5w40 in the summer, 5w30 synthetics in the winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too drive a naturally aspirated V70... and really like it.

The 2.4 has the same power to weight ratio as my last wagon, a Ford Focus ZXW (which, interstingly, had slightly more cargo room than a V70!), so I was pretty-much prepared for the... er... sufficiency of acceleration. The Focus' engine also was actually less course than the Volvo's, providing a better aural experience.

I bought my 04 V70 with 20k miles three weeks ago -- and got between 33 & 34 mpg on the return trip across county from Phoenix to Virginia Beach. The farthest I ever went on a tank was 530 miles. I commute every day 22 highway miles each way... it looks like my average tanks are going to be about 29-30 mpg.

This is what I was looking for. The car is comfortable with beautiful detailing and materials -- with the right level of profligacy.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts

The 2.4 has the same power to weight ratio as my last wagon, a Ford Focus ZXW (which, interstingly, had slightly more cargo room than a V70!), so I was pretty-much prepared for the... er... sufficiency of acceleration. The Focus' engine also was actually less course than the Volvo's, providing a better aural experience.

I bought my 04 V70 with 20k miles three weeks ago -- and got between 33 & 34 mpg on the return trip across county from Phoenix to Virginia Beach. The farthest I ever went on a tank was 530 miles. I commute every day 22 highway miles each way... it looks like my average tanks are going to be about 29-30 mpg.

This is what I was looking for. The car is comfortable with beautiful detailing and materials -- with the right level of profligacy.

As you know, I live right down the road from you and my first Volvo was a V70 NA. Your description of its "sufficiency" is dead on. I got a little less highway mpg than you got coming back from Phoenix, but I drove mine between 75 and 80 mph on the highway. I get less in the 2.5T because I have a hard time keeping my right foot out of it. :p

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
I have to admit, my V70 NA is awesome. I spend most of my days at work talking about turbo this, supercharged that and then walk to the parking lot at the end of the day and start my car up, always listening carefully for hope that it magically turned into a 2.5T or T5...it hasn’t happened.

Then I take it on a out of the blue road trip to Assateague Island, 340-360 mile road trip both ways with A/C blasting and cruise set at 60-70mph. On this trip I set a PR. Drum roll please....

I hope someone drummed because I got 540 miles on 16.4 gallons, with the rest being mostly highway miles to and from work.

Yes I stretched it, yes I drove on "empty" for 50 miles, but wouldn’t you? I blame on the sun poisoning..

What dooes the average 2.5T/T5 get on a tank? I always use 89/91 with 5w40 in the summer, 5w30 synthetics in the winter.
I typically get around 425 to 450 miles per tank on the highway out of my 2.5T. But for some reason I cannot get the tank full; I could get 19 gallons in my 2000 V70 NA when it was "running on fumes." I have YET to get more than 16 gallons in my 2007 2.5T. As mentioned, I also have a fairly heavy foot; I drive between 5 to 10 over the speed limit but I like acceleration. I tend to jack rabbit start the 2.5T.

I use 93 octane in my 2.5T and the grades of synthetic oil that you mention.

Believe it or not, I think the 2000 NA had more personality than my current car.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
In what way Brad?

Better steering and more "tossable," even with the larger tires on the 2007. Better balance between power and handling, IMHO. MUCH more fun taking a tight turn on an on ramp on the 2000. Again, its the BALANCE between handling and power.

Having said that, the NA wouldn't have cut it power wise with the NC Mountain trip I just took. A combination of 5,000ft elevation, 8 percent grade and about 900 pounds of people and stuff...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Welcome akcapswede, to NA..A..

I enjoy the whirling hum of the Volvo's non turbo engines; they always get the conversation going with some of my friends who are absolutely perplexed by the fact that it has 5 cylinders. I used to own a 2006 Ford Focus SVT 5door whose engine wise was rather course and rough, but I guess that was the purpose. Great car, fantastic chassis.

The gearing is also key with the NA, I noticed that 80% of the time my engine speed is well below 3,000 rpm.

My only complaint with the NA's, NO REAR SWAY! But that will soon change...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! My iA is the same color as yours. I'll get some photos up soon.

This is actually my third Volvo wagon -- my first real car in life was a 1966 122S wagon that I bought in college and drove everywhere -- including across country. My second was a 1984 240 -- which I drove everywhere and eventually my wife drove. Needless to say, neither of those was turbo-charged either!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts