SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may have been one of the only people that didn't like the Thors Hammer headlights enough to spend $1,900. So at the risk of being shunned, I thought I'd share in case anyone else is curious what the standard headlights look like. Here's a pic:

http://i57.tinypic.com/24pberc.png

Exterior is crystal white metallic.

I don't think this is posted elsewhere. Mods, please feel free to move this if it is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Charlie, we are, at least, two. My choice was due to a misunderstanding and to a limitation in budget ( it is a company benefit).

Pay attention to your day lights, they should be LED type on Momentum. In my XC90, it is a momentum too, they are not. I think that, by mistake, they have installed the lights for Kinetik trim. I am discussing this issue with Volvo.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We don't judge. You're spending a lot of money on a car, so you get what you like and you're the one driving it ! :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nice pics Charlieblackwood - and congrats on a great looking car. I've not seen one with the standard headlights ... and the vehicle is still a headturner.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I may have been one of the only people that didn't like the Thors Hammer headlights enough to spend $1,900. .....
And that's why Volvo can produce more than an annual volume of XC90's without making the same variant :cool:

Could you please make visible how DRL and the turnindicators are working, because that's normally in Thors Hammer? Secondly, I'm wondering were you life, because I understood all XC90's for the US would be equipped with the LED-lights.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Looks little weird without the cool Thor lights :D It's same as BMW's without the led halo rings :p

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
And that's why Volvo can produce more than an annual volume of XC90's without making the same variant :cool:

Could you please make visible how DRL and the turnindicators are working, because that's normally in Thors Hammer? Secondly, I'm wondering were you life, because I understood all XC90's for the US would be equipped with the LED-lights.
US Momentum does not have Thor light. It is in Momentum+ package, $1900.

Nothing to worry about. Driver rarely see the lamp of the car he is driving.

·
Registered
550 Posts
..... It's same as BMW's without the led halo rings :p
Good comparison :thumbup:
Of course a car manufacturer has to make a base version to make higher trim levels desirable. But why making your new design identify/philosophy optional? For the XC90, imho, only a few non-Thor will be sold. But in case of the S90/V90, and lower, the volume will increase definitely.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That is correct. In the U.S., Thor's Hammer is only available if you choose Momentum +, Inscription, or R-Design. Not available on base Momentum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another Non-Thor owner

I also ordered the car, OSD, without the Thor's hammer headlights. I ordered it last December and didn't realize that I wouldn't be getting the Thor's hammer lights until a week before pickup. With the OSD you can add the LED headlights as an individual item for $1,400. I may have spent the money had I known that you had the get the LED headlights to have the Thor's hammer configuration. When I ordered there wasn't a lot of information about features and I never did see a photo of one without the Thor's hammer.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thanks for posting. I'm disappointed at the XC90 overall price increase. I know, I know, it's much better of a vehicle, yada, yada..... The Thor's Hammer headlights represent Volvo's uncompromising turn to a full luxury competitor. I like safe, reliable, comfortable Volvo, that represents quality and value with flash and bling as an optional side dish. I don't mean to rant and I may end up with an XC90 with the blingy headlights. I think you made a great choice and I wish you the best of luck with her. Thanks again for the pic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also ordered the car, OSD, without the Thor's hammer headlights. I ordered it last December and didn't realize that I wouldn't be getting the Thor's hammer lights until a week before pickup. With the OSD you can add the LED headlights as an individual item for $1,400. I may have spent the money had I known that you had the get the LED headlights to have the Thor's hammer configuration. When I ordered there wasn't a lot of information about features and I never did see a photo of one without the Thor's hammer.
The same happened to me, I ordered in November 2014.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here in Australia they all come with the Thor LED headlights, as well as the 12.3" dash LCD dashboard. There's not too much to differentiate the Momentum and the Inscription other than bigger rims, Nappa leather, some cosmetic things and some safety things. Momentum is very well spec'd yet very hard to find. I wanted one but ended up with an Inscription

·
Registered
108 Posts
I almost made the same mistake, even placed the order...then started reading and found out about this...seriously though, how can you have an option that changes the visible characteristics of the car but NEVER ever show a vehicle without it?

The bump to add them is $1900 here. At which point I said, another 2k to get the R-Design package which includes that? Yes please.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The momentum plus comes with other stuff that made me made my decision to have them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I get that some people won't like the ice-pick headlights. But Volvo didn't do this because it wanted to offer another look. It's cost cutting.

What I don't get is that with so much marketing material showing Volvo's new headlight theme, every car sold is basically an advertisement for Volvo and now Volvo has XC90s out there with the cheaper headlights and on cars in this price range I think it's more harm than good.

IMO, Volvo should have found some other non external visible way to cut costs. This isn't going to please everybody, but I think it would be better for Volvo to have every XC90 front end looking the same.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I get that some people won't like the ice-pick headlights. But Volvo didn't do this because it wanted to offer another look. It's cost cutting.

What I don't get is that with so much marketing material showing Volvo's new headlight theme, every car sold is basically an advertisement for Volvo and now Volvo has XC90s out there with the cheaper headlights and on cars in this price range I think it's more harm than good.

IMO, Volvo should have found some other non external visible way to cut costs. This isn't going to please everybody, but I think it would be better for Volvo to have every XC90 front end looking the same.
Most the euro car companies do this though. Every once in a while I'll see an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes with halogens and no signature lighting.

What I think Volvo should have done to save costs would have been to keep the Thors hammer daytime lights but add regular halogen projector beam headlights, that would have been a good compromise.

I'm cautious about the longevity and cost of replacements for these new headlights. The new Corolla has LEDs standard and I've already seen one with a headlight out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wen I ordered my car (Nov 2014) my understand ing Washington that Thor was always there and you ha e to select between LED and xenon. When realized the real situation, on this forum, it was too late to change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts