SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are Swedish hotels for non-smoking rooms? My experience with Europe has been that it's very hit or miss (largely miss).

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
How are Swedish hotels for non-smoking rooms? My experience with Europe has been that it's very hit or miss (largely miss).
You can ask for the non-smoking room in any larger hotel throughout the Europe...small family owned ones could be hit and miss, but not the major chains...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You should not have any issue with this in Sweden. Similarly there is no smoking in restaurants, bars or other indoor public spaces in Sweden.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
You should not have any issue with this in Sweden. Similarly there is no smoking in restaurants, bars or other indoor public spaces in Sweden.
Nice to hear about the changes for bars and restaurants...my wife and I, both non-smokers, were literally suffocating in many bars in Stockholm, when we were there back in 2008. When did the new rules take place?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Nice to hear about the changes for bars and restaurants...my wife and I, both non-smokers, were literally suffocating in many bars in Stockholm, when we were there back in 2008. When did the new rules take place?
They took place in 2005 IIRC...I'm surprised there was smoking in any place that served food in Stockholm in '08. Denmark was a little bit behind Sweden and they still allowed smoking until 2007 if memory serves me well.

Germany is still region by region on their smoking rules and then some places become "private clubs" that you join when you walk in which allows them have smoking and usually that's awful if you don't smoke because people go there TO smoke...I remember being in Nuremberg in 2009 for a week and ending up in one of these bars and I nearly choked when I walked in.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Ahh, I remember when they had flying section on most airlines.
There is probably some Russian airline out there that still allows it. I don't smoke, but there is still something about allowing the freedom to smoke.
Well, I live in WA State, so in a week pot will be legal for anyone over 21!
I suspect a lot of folks might start doing a "Seattle Delivery" for their next Volvo.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Ahh, I remember when they had flying section on most airlines.
There is probably some Russian airline out there that still allows it. I don't smoke, but there is still something about allowing the freedom to smoke.
Well, I live in WA State, so in a week pot will be legal for anyone over 21!
I suspect a lot of folks might start doing a "Seattle Delivery" for their next Volvo.
And I always thought John Denver was singing about mountains.............. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been in UK, Italy, Spain, Holland, Switzerland in the past few years. Madrid a few years back was hard core smoking and hard to find a place to eat. Zurich had smoking in the office I was working in. UK was hard core smoking (people smoking next to "no smoking" signs and glaring around). Italy was pretty far along in the smoking ban. Barcelona this year was non-smoking in restaurants, but I didn't stay in a hotel.

Anyway, good to hear about Sweden, I won't worry too much about booking non-smoking rooms.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I've been in UK, Italy, Spain, Holland, Switzerland in the past few years. Madrid a few years back was hard core smoking and hard to find a place to eat. Zurich had smoking in the office I was working in. UK was hard core smoking (people smoking next to "no smoking" signs and glaring around). Italy was pretty far along in the smoking ban. Barcelona this year was non-smoking in restaurants, but I didn't stay in a hotel.

Anyway, good to hear about Sweden, I won't worry too much about booking non-smoking rooms.
We were in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, and France on our April 2012 OSD trip. we did not notice smoking in hotels or restaurants (with the exception of one hotel -- Calais or outside Paris, I forget which, where the room had a slight smoke linger -- but not enough to prevent sleep). We made our hotel reservations day-by-day as we traveled.

If you are booking in advance you should have no problem. Check out hotels.com or the brand-specific website for where you want to stay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts