SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1346 Posts

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Hey, I’m game for an adventure! And I really like stupid ideas…
I guess you'd have to be okay with buying a car sight unseen - would be too much hassle for me and probably to most sellers dealing with the paperwork. Then you'd have to find one that hasn't been too affected by salt.

To me I'd think you'd be better off finding something in the States. Whether an 850/V70 is the right car is another question altogether, lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I absolutely ******* hate that ****

And people who are deliberately vague in their ads should be locked in a portable toilet.
Also those who only include a photo of the back seats for interior pics. Yeah, of course they look great, you doofus.

·
Registered
15,449 Posts
Wow! That's pretty wild. I'm looking at a lamp right now that I made in HS. The wood shop guy thought I was crazy - saying it wouldn't work, and I glued maple, maybe oak?, walnut together. My great uncle was a woodworker and had given me a scrap piece of walnut that was too small for anything else. I put it on a lathe and made a lamp and he was so impressed I got an A+.
you almost got to. the lumber yard I go to dumps a lot of good hardwood. on a first come first served basis, if you ask if the 'hopper' is full they'll bring out this small dumpster filled with cut offs. unfortunately some of the stuff seems too good to burn and my hoarding instincts kick in. a good friend of mine is in competition for this material though he makes really cool cutting boards out of the stuff which he sells at local art shows. I guess you'd call that 'up-cycling'.

·
Registered
15,449 Posts

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
I don't even remember the last time I saw one of those, and they were all over DC back in the day.
Yeah, we were Peugeot drivers before Volvo - I think in our extended family we had four of them at one point - a 405, two 505 sedans, and a 505 wagon. They were pretty underpowered but were very comfortable.

Suffice to say we kept the local dealer's service department in business, lol.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Also those who only include a photo of the back seats for interior pics. Yeah, of course they look great, you doofus.
lol yup - or the angled photo that shows the drivers seat only in shadow across the console. That's a famous R tactic when selling. They could save everyone the trouble of asking and then making awful comments if the drivers seat was just photographed before hand.

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,129
Yeah, we were Peugeot drivers before Volvo - I think in our extended family we had four of them at one point - a 405, two 505 sedans, and a 505 wagon. They were pretty underpowered but were very comfortable.

Suffice to say we kept the local dealer's service department in business, lol.
I've seen a couple 505s in the wild around Boston in the last few years. Never seen a 504 in the wild.

·
Registered
16,828 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

·
Registered
16,828 Posts

·
Registered
16,828 Posts
Yes and yes but find one with ABLs and tech pack.
R design worth it or no ? Seems meh stuff. Not a fan of ABLs. Over priced turning headlights .

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
R design worth it or no ? Seems meh stuff. Not a fan of ABLs. Over priced turning headlights .
R-Design has P* standard so yes. ABLs have improved on P3s and they’re pretty good.

·
Registered
16,828 Posts
R-Design has P* standard so yes. ABLs have improved on P3s and they’re pretty good.
Ehhh not bad then. I am not seeing much for sale, nothing on ebay.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
So, I’ve been lurking (and very entertained) on this thread for a few months, trying to decide if I want an 855/V70 as a fun driver/2nd car to tinker on with my sons. I think I’m about there, so I’m getting more serious about my search.

That saffron V70R caught my eye. Is importing a car from Canada (I’m in Pittsburgh) worth considering, especially in this age of Covid? Or are there barriers that are not worth dealing with. I’m not interested in paying any crazy taxes or premiums.

Appreciate any thoughts, and thanks for the entertainment! I hope to join in.

Dustin
Are you insane?!? Or are both kids adopted? Importing from Canada minimally requires a $1k compliance letter from Volvo and at least a 2.5% duty payable to Uncle Sam.

Don’t listen to Jared on this. This is the current reality of importing a Volvo previously sold in US:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums...d.php?505762-Importing-an-R-from-Canada&amp=1

(Ofc you can see I’ve commented in that thread as well... I’ve been wanting to import a Canuck AMG wagon for years.)

Nonetheless, glad to see new blood in the thread of wanting-to-buy-volvo’ers

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,138
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Give me ECE Halogens every time so I can drop some modern LEDs in and have actually good lighting. My T-5R with ECE Depos is putting out a very similar amount of light to the ECE ABL (built in ECE housings to get a real high beam) I retrofitted with D2S 5.0 in my S60.......I'll let you guess which one of those upgrades had a better ROI.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
1979 Peugeot 504 $5,000 St. Paul, Mn.
aw, what the heck, why not, but please, no hate.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/636483980368845
That’s hot. But not at $5k. I want to say my pops learned stick shift on a 504 cause I remember the prez of his company had one. (We’re clearly immigrants.) I finally got to drive a Peugeot in southern France 2 years ago — humble gloat? — and it was hugely underwhelming, much like the first time I drove a Chevy (Cavalier.)

1121 - 1140 of 1346 Posts