SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 317 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I just added 20-some cars to the December post yesterday, so be sure to check those out before moving onto the 2016 posts.

Good start tolian.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
EDIT: Thanks!

·
Registered
17,314 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Guess I'll chip in even though I'm mildly interested in this one and kinda sorta dont want to share :D

https://wyoming.craigslist.org/cto/5375854232.html

I emailed the guy asking about the manual swap, heres what I got:

"The 6 speed swap was done in my garage. I got the tech information on the swap through the forums on Volvospeed.com. I have done countless automotive repair jobs ranging from routine to complex for my own projects as well as for friends and family on many different makes although I specialize in Volvos, Toyotas, and Jeeps. I have a degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Minnesota so I'm only limited by my tools!

The transmission is a M66c from a 2005 S40 all-wheel drive. I don't recall there being much of a difference between the M66c and M66 other than the shift linkages are reversed. From my experience with the install of the M66c and reading about the M66, the M66c is more of a direct bolt in with regard to the shift linkage connection to the shift cables and no modification was necessary. The shifter, shift cables, and slave cylinder are from an 04 S60 manual. I used a pedal assembly and master cylinder from a 2000 V70 manual and an 850R single-mass flywheel and clutch kit to get the power to the ground. I am in the process of putting a build sheet together for the new owner that will include all the part numbers of the drivetrain.

There were no check engine lights or error codes associated with the swap due to the wiring modifications and ECU reprogramming that was done. When Volvo published the engine and transmission wiring diagrams associated with the ME7 engine management system, they indicated what wiring revisions were apparent with manual transmission cars. Since the stock transmission control unit (TCU) would not be needed for a manual transmission car, 2 pairs of wires were jumpered to bypass the TCU. Along with that, wiring revisions were needed for the cruise control and back-up lights. Revisions to the ECU software were done by ARD tuning to eliminate check engine lights or any compatibility issues now that the car is fitted with a manual transmission. For example, in an automatic car, the stock ECU will reduce engine RPMs during upshifts to reduce the load on the automatic transmission. The software changes done to the stock ECU allows the car to rev freely between manual gearshifts.

As I said before, ARD tuning did the reflash to the stock ECU including the software changes to allow it to work with a manual transmission car. Before they did the reflash, I filled out a build sheet so they can take into account the modifications that have been done to the vehicle. The only modifications this car has are IPD heavy duty ignition coil packs and an IPD short ram intake system. On their website, ARD claims horsepower and torque increase of 110 bhp and 125 lb-ft. I can't say that is the exact increase with my car because I have never dyno'd it. The car does feel very strong though.
Here's the link to my ECU tune: http://www.ardideas.com/ARD-ECU-Software-Upgrade-SV70-1999-2000-C70-1999-2004-_p_255.html

If a potential buyer would like to have a PPI done to it, they would be responsible for the associated costs.

I have the carfax report from when I bought the car and all the parts receipts associated with it since the beginning of my ownership. Its a pretty thick stack of papers that will go along with the car.

I hope I answered your questions clearly. Let me know if you have any more!

Regards,
Tyler"

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Nice concept and execution with a few things that would need to be fixed for better reliability, performance and longevity as we have discussed before when this car continually comes up for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ hmm that does sound nice but doesnt that seem a little bit expensive?

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
It's an optimistic price for sure

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
^ hmm that does sound nice but doesnt that seem a little bit expensive?
If you factor in what it costs to perform such a project I would say it's fair,keep in mind the owner is an engineer making that type of personality very logical and thorough.
I was interested in that car and have more pictures of it,but decided against it for other reasons

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice concept and execution with a few things that would need to be fixed for better reliability, performance and longevity as we have discussed before when this car continually comes up for sale

[SUP]Ahh didnt know this particular car had been posted before. I dont get on SS very frequently. So this car has been for sale for a while then?[/SUP]

·
Registered
320 Posts
ups

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
17,314 Posts

·
Registered