SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on Nokian following Russian invasion of Ukraine. Very disheartened this morning to realize my 'Scandinavian' Nokian WR SUV G4 tires from Finland were actually manufactured in Russia (code 160), wk41 (Oct) 2019:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

I had blissfully assumed they were made in Finland or perhaps relatively new USA factory, which opened in Oct 2019 (same month as tires produced). But sadly, no.

I've been an advocate for Nokian on these boards, but next purchase I'll be paying much more attention. Hopefully the Nokian executive that made that decision has joined Volvo's SPA sunroof engineer in the unemployment line.

Tiremaker Nokian Renkaat (TYRES) Plummets Most in 24 Years on Russia Sanctions - Bloomberg

Nokian Tyres’ update on the crisis in Ukraine / Nokian Tyres

Attachments

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
Wow, good to know!

Reactions: V70 Brad

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Same here. I noticed last week when looking at tire tread, the Nokian Hakka R3s said Made in Russia.

Look, I disagree with Putin. But I'm not going to compromise on my safety in protest. Nokians are good tires.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Same here. I noticed last week when looking at tire tread, the Nokian Hakka R3s said Made in Russia.

Look, I disagree with Putin. But I'm not going to compromise on my safety in protest. Nokians are good tires.
I hope that lineup is made elsewhere when It’s time for next set. Otherwise will look elsewhere, starting with Michelin and Vredestein.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
I hope that lineup is made elsewhere when It’s time for next set. Otherwise will look elsewhere, starting with Michelin.
Boycotting Russian made products won't really do much in grand scheme of things. Global sanctions such as removing Russia From Swift, Companies Pulling Out of Russia, and Cutting Ties to Russian oil are what will have the biggest impact. Shying away from Russian Product purchases is more reactionary and a feel good move.

Nokian is a very safe tire and there are few that compare. Even if they stay in Russia, I wouldn't compromise my safety in winter on moral grounds. But that's a personal perspective.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s one quick alternative, 3PMSF. Best I can tell, made either in Netherlands or Hungary. Both NATO.

Ah, growing a tad bit of spine feels good. I might just replace my current set of Russian Nokians way early.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
When we ordered Z-Lines for the C70, they sent us a unmatched set with one tire being 3 years older and made in Russia. Whether the years or origin it was a very obviously different product.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
I have a feeling that Putin's recent changes allowing seizure of foreign company's assets is going to make a lot of companies think twice about investing in Russian manufacturing.
Russia's richest oligarch has already warned Putin against seizing foreign assets, for fear that all companies will leave permanently and not return.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Boycotting Russian made products won't really do much in grand scheme of things. Global sanctions such as removing Russia From Swift, Companies Pulling Out of Russia, and Cutting Ties to Russian oil are what will have the biggest impact. Shying away from Russian Product purchases is more reactionary and a feel good move.

Nokian is a very safe tire and there are few that compare. Even if they stay in Russia, I wouldn't compromise my safety in winter on moral grounds. But that's a personal perspective.
You need to grow a spine. There are other alternatives. I know people in Ukraine, one has lost her home already. If enough weak kneed people such as you think this way, terrorists such as Putin will win every time.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
You need to grow a spine. There are other alternatives. I know people in Ukraine, one has lost her home already. If enough weak kneed people such as you think this way, terrorists such as Putin will win every time.
Oh wait I have family that's from Ukraine surprise surprise. It's where my blood aunts and uncles came from when I was a kid. And I still have family alive that's from there.

People not buying their products will have little to no effect on Russia whatsoever. It's been proven that personal boycotts are not what's going to make Russia stop. Most companies with Russian names are actually made in other countries these days, too

It has absolutely nothing to do with growing a spine, has everything to do with sanctions that make a difference. And those sanctions will be from taking Russia out of Swift, Europe cutting off Russia's oil supply, and companies leaving the country.

You have a far better chance of swaying companies that are sticking around in Russia by doing a boycott than you do of actually not buying Russian products. Which are shown to be far fewer and in between in the US because most Russian Named products are now are made in other countries.

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well said. Applause.

Reactions: mike0vlv

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...Please do not buy Russian made anything at this point in time.
Agreed, well said. Russian firm, Finnish, or otherwise, it rolls up to some degree of impact.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here’s one quick alternative, 3PMSF. Best I can tell, made either in Netherlands or Hungary. Both NATO.

Ah, growing a tad bit of spine feels good. I might just replace my current set of Russian Nokians way early.

View attachment 149124
Here’s a Michelin 3PMSF, made in Hungary which is NATO member.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

I‘ve been as advocate here for Nokian, and had G2, G3, and now G4. But now I’m leaning more.

I always replace tires halfway between oil changes, to balance miles and wear over future rotations with oil changes. I may replace my Russian Nokians in a couple months, way early. Or at least pay much more attention when the time comes.

Reactions: Thommykent

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah applause...but the fact is Putin does not care about his people...weather they're oligarch or common... he's a criminal...and it's all about him...just like the criminal Trump.
...but I digress from buying Volvo tires...so I'll stop now.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Well said. Applause.
Hilarious, because what you forgot is that the United States lacks the backbone to delist the entire country of Russia from Swift and not just cherry-picking who stays and goes. And Europe lacks the backbones completely cut off Russian oil from their supplies

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah applause...but the fact is Putin does not care about his people...weather they're oligarch or common... he's a criminal...and it's all about him...just like the criminal Trump.
...but I digress from buying Volvo tires...so I'll stop now.
I‘m OK with a bit of geopolitics in the midst of a new war in Europe.

And returning to a favorite refrain, if Volvo had done conventional hybrid they’d have a lot more vehicles saving a lot more fuel vs MH garbage. We’re planning PHEV next year.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts