SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has these all-weather tires on their XC90
I read good things about them. I am just wondering how they perform in the summer and sunny days. Are they noisy, smooth, etc...?

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
The set on our P2 XC90 is just running out of tread. Will get replaced before winter. Went ~40k miles. I'm not the daily driver, so I can't speak to their comfort level, but they performed very well in the winter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The set on our P2 XC90 is just running out of tread. Will get replaced before winter. Went ~40k miles. I'm not the daily driver, so I can't speak to their comfort level, but they performed very well in the winter.

Thanks.
How was it in the summer, sunny days , highways, etc... I know they are very good in winter, it is the other season I am worried about.

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
I ran a set year round on a fwd p80 and they were amazing in rain. Actually putting them back on tomorrow since there’s a forecast for snow up north.

Passenger car and SUV tread and tech is the same hence my commentary here.

Light noice increase when accelerating as the sipes open under load for grip. Handle well at speed. You’d be hard pressed to find anything even remotely comparable that’s well mannered at 90 degrees in August and tackled a November slush blizzard with laughable ease.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I ran a set year round on a fwd p80 and they were amazing in rain. Actually putting them back on tomorrow since there’s a forecast for snow up north.

Light noice increase when accelerating as the sipes open under load for grip. Handle well at speed. You’d be hard pressed to find anything even remotely comparable that’s well mannered at 90 degrees in August and tackled a November slush blizzard with laughable ease.
So, would they be a good year-round tire? Where I live in Florida we occasionally have ice and snow. Much more rain. And I drive in places with dirt, mud and sand.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
So, would they be a good year-round tire? Where I live in Florida we occasionally have ice and snow. Much more rain. And I drive in places with dirt, mud and sand.

Nora in Florida
Yes. Very good in heavy rain. I’ve done plenty of dirt with them but no heavy mud.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am thinking of downgrading my 21" to 19" and put the all weather Nokian wr g4 suv. did you have 19" on yours? you mentioned something about the noise, where they on the noisier side than the OEM perillis?

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts

Nora in Florida
Honestly, as much as I love the tires, I think they would be overkill for Florida. Any tire that can handle the cold and snow like these had to be giving up some hot weather traction. In your case, I would focus on a performance summer tire with good rain ratings. My $0.02.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Honestly, as much as I love the tires, I think they would be overkill for Florida. Any tire that can handle the cold and snow like these had to be giving up some hot weather traction. In your case, I would focus on a performance summer tire with good rain ratings. My $0.02.
Thanks. Last summer I got new tires, and the dealership recommended Michelin Defenders. I have been happy with them. But want to continue to research to see if they or something else would be better in the future.

Nora in Florida

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Thanks. Last summer I got new tires, and the dealership recommended Michelin Defenders. I have been happy with them. But want to continue to research to see if they or something else would be better in the future.

Nora in Florida
Check out Tire Rack's tire ratings. I really like that they compare like for like tires so you can make an educated choice.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Check out Tire Rack's tire ratings. I really like that they compare like for like tires so you can make an educated choice.
Thank you for the suggestion. Will do. I really appreciate it.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,028 Posts

Nora in Florida
I completely agree with this statement! Nokian all-weathers might be overkill for Florida, Nora.

IMO, you're better off looking at tires which are a little less suited for the snow and little more for the rain/summer, than the Nokian WRG4s! Of course, now if you're talking about driving to north/north-eastern states throughout the year, the Nokians start making more sense, but purely for Florida, not much.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I completely agree with this statement! Nokian all-weathers might be overkill for Florida, Nora.

IMO, you're better off looking at tires which are a little less suited for the snow and little more for the rain/summer, than the Nokian WRG4s! Of course, now if you're talking about driving to north/north-eastern states throughout the year, the Nokians start making more sense, but purely for Florida, not much.
I may start spending more time in Massachusetts, or even moving there. At that point it might be worthwhile actually getting a second set of wheels and tires for the New England winters. I had a second set of wheels and tires when I lived in New York and Maryland. I didn’t when I lived in Washington state, but whatever tire I had got through everything. I sure wish I remembered what it was.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
16 Posts
False.

Winter tires are higher traction in all seasons. The potential downsides are increased Wear, noise, vibration.

Winter tires have softer rubber at lower temperatures, and even softer at higher temps.

An old cheap racing tire trick is snow tires...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have run the Nokian wr g4 (and older g3 verision) suv tires on a number of my volvo's over the years. including 2 sets on a 2010 xc60, and 2 sets on our 2009 xc90R. They are fantastic all season tires that handle my minnesota winters like a dream. We put alot of miles on our cars each year. The tread life has far surpassed the pirelli, Michelin, and continental's that i have had on those cars in the past. They are a little nosier than a regular all season, but not bad especially considering the aggressiveness of the tread. Will take that anyday considering the treadlife, snow performance and actually better gas mileage.

When i have to put a new set of tires on my 2019 xc90R, I definitely will be installing the nokians.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Since I don’t have an XC 90 yet, how would they work on a truck or an 850?

Nora in Florida

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
False.

Winter tires are higher traction in all seasons. The potential downsides are increased Wear, noise, vibration.

Winter tires have softer rubber at lower temperatures, and even softer at higher temps.

Ah, you're right, it's not traction it gives up, it's wear. It will get used up more quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
False.

Ah, you're right, it's not traction it gives up, it's wear. It will get used up more quickly.
True.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have run the Nokian wr g4 (and older g3 verision) suv tires on a number of my volvo's over the years. including 2 sets on a 2010 xc60, and 2 sets on our 2009 xc90R. They are fantastic all season tires that handle my minnesota winters like a dream. We put alot of miles on our cars each year. The tread life has far surpassed the pirelli, Michelin, and continental's that i have had on those cars in the past. They are a little nosier than a regular all season, but not bad especially considering the aggressiveness of the tread. Will take that anyday considering the treadlife, snow performance and actually better gas mileage.

When i have to put a new set of tires on my 2019 xc90R, I definitely will be installing the nokians.

Great to hear.. So this will be your all around season tire or just for winter? Again, I know they are great in the winter, I wanted to see how they perform in the hot summer as well. Here in Michigan, we have extremes, 0F-100F
You said they are a little noisier. To what are you comparing them to? How is the comfort factor? Are they too bumpy?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts