SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Nokia CARK-91 Advanced HF Car Kit is connected straight to the cars own speakers so the sound quality is very good. And when a call comes, radio is automatically muted.

Tomi

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
That is a pretty nice setup! Where do they put the microphone? Also, did you have a cupholder there before or was it the empty slot? Does the callers voice come in through all of the cars speakers or just the drivers door speaker?

-Drew

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The microphone is right next to the light push-buttons on the roof. Callers voice comes in through all of the cars speakers. I could have get a handset too, but there was no suiteble place for it so forgot it. I didn't have a cupholder there because I knew that there would be a great place for the phone. And hey, I'm from Europe, we don't have that kind of obsession with cupholders like you guys in America!

Tomi

PS. Okey, I confess!!! I do have a cupholder in the rear center armrest!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you have to get the dealer to install this? - So the computer would recognize the phone? Do you know if NOKIA makes a similar kit for the 8260 phone?

I use the space to hold my phone and garage door remote now; but need to get a hands-free phone installed.

dvk92

bty - my cupholders are in the center armrest

·
Registered
69 Posts
What's this obsession with cupholders? You guys live in countries with the coldest climates on earth. I would expect this from an Australian or African.

PS Doesn't the water freeze over in winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tomi, did you install this or did the dealer? I am assuming that the handsfree kit is the standard Nokia kit for your cellular phone and that it's output has been connected to the stereo system. I also assume that the microphone you mention is the one that came with the handsfree kit and not that you have somehow managed to use the one that is built into the rearview mirror housing. Please advise as I am interested in doing this with my Nokia phone as well and have no use for the cup holder that is there.

Thanks,

Scotty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scotty,

It was installed by local Nokia dealer. And your assumptions were right, actually I didn't even know that there is somekind of microphone in the rearview mirror housing. Please tell me more about it, is it standard in every S60 or is it a factory option? But in my opinion the microphone that came with the kit is very nice, almost imperceptible. Although there was no upgrade done to the car's computer, I haven't notice any problems neither in the car nor in the handsfree kit.

Tomi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tomi, if you get the integrated GSM phone from Volvo, the microphone is in the rearview mirror. This may only be true if you have the electrochromic mirror (the mirror that automatically dims at night so headlights from behind don't blind you). On the top of the mirror is an area that houses the microphone on the left, fasten seatbelt light in the middle and the sensor for the automatic dimming feature on the right. If you have the manual style mirror then this probably doesn't apply. I don't know if both are available in your country.

I inquired about your setup for two reasons. One, the Swedish Volvo site lists such a hands free kit for most Nokia and some other brand of phone and I was curious about the kit. I imagine this is the kit your Nokia dealer installed. Second,I was curious as to how the microphone worked and you answered that question for me. The only other question I have is whether your microphone is wireless or not as I don't see any wires in your photo but perhaps they are well hidden.

Regards,

Scotty

[This message has been edited by Scotty (edited 04-02-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scotty,

Actually there is plenty of wires, but they are very well hidden indeed. The wires from the phone go inside the dashboard from back of the holder. The wires of the microphone and antenna go under the glove compartment and then I think inside the gasket of the front door and finally under the roof upholstery all the way to the rearview mirror. I was there when they installed the kit, and it was surprisingly easy how they did it, although they had to open quite a lot of the car's interior. I'm very satisfied with the result, appearance is nice and the sound quality is very well too.
The cost of the kit and installation was about 400 dollars here in Finland.

Tomi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.