SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
scorpions are off-road capable suv tires...they put it on the xc because it's actually one of the quieter and better on-road performance off-road tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just purchased a New 2002 S60, on my first trip I noticed an annoying low frequency hum coming from the left from tire. It was to the point I was getting headaches from this noise. I originally felt that it was possibly due to a seperated tire, as soon as I got back into town I returned the car to the dealership to get the problem fixed.

The next day I went to pick up my car and I was told that there was nothing they could do, that when they tested other S60's on the lot they all made the same noise. After spending $40+K on a car I was pissed (and still had my headache). I knew that the loaner S60 cars that I had taken for Volvo's 24 hour test drive didn't make the noise so why the H%#^ did mine. It turns out that it is due to the tread pattern on the Michelin 195 15R tires (base rim and tires that come with S60). Even a 2001 S60 with the same tires had the same hum.

The test and loaner cars all had the Optional 16 inch rims with 205 16R tires, and these tire were quite. Consequently I got soaked for another $500.00 bucks to upgrade my tires.

If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know, I want to pursue this with Volvo / Ford. I don't feel that owners should have to fork over an additinal $500.00 just to make their cars bearable to drive. Also looking for email of Dan Werbin (CEO Volvo Canada)

Thanks for letting me vent!!
Sincerely

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just get a louder stereo!
No, seriously, you need a header exhaust system with a Flowmaster muffler, and that will surely drown out the sound of the tires!
No, seriously speaking now, it ain't a Cadillac, it ain't a Lexus, it ain't an Infiniti -- it's a Volvo, and they have always made noises, whether it be ill-fitting interior trim pieces (240 series), exhaust hanger rattling (240 and 740 series), etc.... Volvos just have more character that way.

-he who stacks pork

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: (thevolvoguy)

quote:

My 850 is silent, always has been.
I am with you, I think the 850/70 was the quiest model untill the S80.

My girlfriend has an S60 and my mom has a V40, and both are louder than my 855 http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: (Kaizai)

My 850 isn't that quiet... if you have driven any cars over $30000 CND (so about $22000 USD, cuz cars cost more in the US!) you'll probably find that they are generally quieter than my 850.

I recently put in sound absorbing material inside the doors, under the carpet, and inside the tailgate, and the car is quite a bit quieter now. Still no Lexus but I don't really need to turn up the volumn on my stereo anymore going 65 mph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.