SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Noisy Tires - Installers Fault?

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  thipschman 
#1 ·
I got new 17inch PEGs and P-Zero M&S for the winter. After about 7000 miles, they started whining like big truck tires. Very disappointing. I did a visual inspection of the tires, and noticed the marking that says "inner" was the outside. Could this be the cause of the whining. It's really loud and high pitched.
I bought the tires from Tire Rack, and had them installed by one of their recommened installers.

Do I have any recourse? If this was the cause, any thoughts on how to proceed?

#2 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (thipschman)

Quote, originally posted by thipschman »
I got new 17inch PEGs and P-Zero M&S for the winter. After about 7000 miles, they started whining like big truck tires. Very disappointing. I did a visual inspection of the tires, and noticed the marking that says "inner" was the outside. Could this be the cause of the whining. It's really loud and high pitched.
I bought the tires from Tire Rack, and had them installed by one of their recommened installers.

Do I have any recourse? If this was the cause, any thoughts on how to proceed?

The tires are asymmetric, which is why they have inside and outside markings. The tread blocks are designed as such, and you have been putting max load on what was supposed to be the inside tread blocks. Not only are the tread blocks and compounds specific, but I'd be willing to bet that the tire carcass is designed to be run that way too.

I'm sure that since you've been driving them backwards that they are most likely ruined.

I would take pictures of the install and since you used a tire rack recommended installer, I'd call tire rack first. As them how to proceed. More than likely, you're going to get a more sympathetic response if they are the ones calling the installer, since the Tire Rack carries more weight....they don't want to be booted off the recommended installer list!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

#3 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (needsdecaf)

All these tires will start making noise at around 7K miles but in your case I would have to agree, they're shot because of the INCORRECT mounting.
Demand new tires.
How many are reversed?

#5 ·

Quote, originally posted by thipschman »
All 4. At least they were consistent...

Seriously, you have a real good case for a new set on them
I would call an expert like Tire rack first and confirm that this screw up would indeed thrash the tire or not, you then will have some ammunition to go in with

#7 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (JRL)

Also, the company that installed these tires is very lucky that you or any of your passangers did not get hurt becuase of the install. The outside of the tire is much stiffer than the inside (for cornering and handling properties) Because they had the soft side on the outside, the chances of a blow out and a tire(s) putting you out of control are much higher than if they were installed correctly. I would put it to them (Tirerack) like this, I am calling to let you folks know that WE are very lucky I did not have an accident or hurt someone else as a result of ALL the tires that your recommended tire shop installed BACKWARDS. Good thing I (you) figured this out before I (you) put any more miles on them. Could you please take care of replacing these tires for me? (you) And make sure you talk to a manager at Tirerack. Good luck and I am glad you, or anyone else did not get hurt. Rick

#8 ·

Not to throw water on your fire, but that you drove 7,000 miles on them before discovering a visible mistake is not going to help you.

But they were mis-installed, so you have an argument to make. And you should. LOUDLY.

#10 ·

It is hard to believe that a professional tire shop would make this type of error.

From what you describe, the tires would have to have been mounted on the rims incorrectly for ALL FOUR tires.

I do not know if the person that did the remove and install from the vehicle, is the same one that did the mounting of the tires on the rims, but if it was a different person, that means that TWO professionals did not catch the error.

I would strongly suggest that all four tires be replaced, on their nickel of course. As suggested, you may want to contact Tire Rack and Pirelli first since the installer will attempt to claim, no harm, and just remount the tires.

I do not agree that you share in any blame for not noticing the error right away, since you bought quality tires, installed by a recommended professional.

#11 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (KVB-R)

"You can turn all four around and they will face the correct direction. Swap them from side to side."

uh, no. They would face the right direction, but there is an inside and outside to the tire. In his situation, the inside of the tire is mounted on the outside of the rim.

#12 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (sgmlaw)

Quote, originally posted by sgmlaw »
Not to throw water on your fire, but that you drove 7,000 miles on them before discovering a visible mistake is not going to help you.

But they were mis-installed, so you have an argument to make. And you should. LOUDLY.

I disagree...It technically shouldn't be his responsibility (although its a good idea) to check the tires after mounting for markings such as inner/outer. He only started looking for something wrong after he heard an increased noise level, which is common.

I would definitely take pictures of the improper mounting and you should have NO problem with tirerack covering this.

#13 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »

I would definitely take pictures of the improper mounting and you should have NO problem with tirerack covering this.
He only bought them from Tire Rack, they were not INSTALLED by Tire rack

"I bought the tires from Tire Rack, and had them installed by one of their recommened installers."

#14 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (steamboatsig)

Quote, originally posted by steamboatsig »
"You can turn all four around and they will face the correct direction. Swap them from side to side."

uh, no. They would face the right direction, but there is an inside and outside to the tire. In his situation, the inside of the tire is mounted on the outside of the rim.

You're right, I didn't think of that. In most tyre examples the inside and outside are the same. I guess the Pzeros aren't.

Kevin

#16 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (KVB-R)

Quote, originally posted by KVB-R »

You're right, I didn't think of that. In most tyre examples the inside and outside are the same. I guess the Pzeros aren't.

Kevin

You're confused between asymmetric tires, in which the inside to outside relationship matters with directional tires, in which the front edge of rotation is what matters. Directional tires can be "turned around" by swapping sides. Asymmetrics must be re-mounted.

As was said above, glad you're safe. That's the first thing that I was thinking....it's a good thing that the tires didn't grenade on you.

#17 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »

You're confused between asymmetric tires, in which the inside to outside relationship matters with directional tires, in which the front edge of rotation is what matters. Directional tires can be "turned around" by swapping sides. Asymmetrics must be re-mounted.

As was said above, glad you're safe. That's the first thing that I was thinking....it's a good thing that the tires didn't grenade on you.

I'm not confused....,but merely didn't know. Yes, other considerations come into play with "asymmetric" tires, but I never installed a tire that needed to be right-side-out.

Kevin

#20 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (thipschman) - Update

I talked with Tire Rack. After the customer service rep contacted a technician, their response was to immediately reverse the tires, but of course they said that there would be no effect on the tire once corrected.

I also talked with Pirelli. Interestly, they said that being installed essentially backwards for 7000 miles could be the source of the tire noise, and were mostly likely damaged due to the different compounds on the inside and the outside of the tire wearing differently.

So, I called Tire Rack back, and suggested their technician talk to Pirelli, to get a better understanding about these tires. A few hours later, Tire Rack got back to me, and said that although not definitive, the tire noise could be related to the incorrect installation. They said they would contact the installer, to have them reversed at no charge to me, and asked me to drive with them for while to see if the noise would go away. At any rate, they offered me a new set of tires at a 50% discount. I have to say so far, I have been impressed with Tire Rack's responsiveness and willingness to discount the tires even though they were not at fault.

Contacted the Tire Shop today. They were very interested in seeing the tires, and will look at them either Friday or Saturday when I can get the car down to them. I also have routine service scheduled this Friday (45K). I have an suspension clunk going over bumps. I will have the dealer inspect the bevel gear and see what their opinion of the tires is. I was thinking of taking a measurement of the inside tread versus the outside tread to see if they was any wear difference.

An update to follow.

#21 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (thipschman) - Update (thipschman)

I am not sure TireRack has a dog in this fight. They sold the goods, not the service. Their only "liability" would be that they recommended this particular service agency to you. I too think their offer is a generous one, but not warranted. Perhaps they could make that offer to their recommended installer to replace your damaged tires?

The installer on the other hand just needs to do the right thing, get new tires, and install them correctly and apologize profusely for THEIR error and the amount of your time they have wasted. Clearly they also need to have some more training about what the words INSIDE and OUTSIDE mean when they are printed on a tire sidewall.

It is not an issue of noise, but an issue of the potential damage to the tires that has been done, noise or no noise.

I am sure they will step up to the plate, and do the right thing.

#22 ·
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (rogersampson)

Well, the noise is gone. Went to the dealer for 45K service and had them check things out. The whine was due to a bad right rear hub. They also replaced a bad sway link that was clunking, as well as the steering stops.

Got the tires reversed. Installer says no damage, of course, nor really offered any thing. They are quiet again. Have not put many miles on them, but I will certainly keep my eye on them. BTW, for those of you that thought this should be easy to notice. The marking that signs "inner" is miniscule compared to the one that says "outer".

Thanks for your help.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.