SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
21,310 Posts
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (thipschman)

Quote, originally posted by thipschman »
I got new 17inch PEGs and P-Zero M&S for the winter. After about 7000 miles, they started whining like big truck tires. Very disappointing. I did a visual inspection of the tires, and noticed the marking that says "inner" was the outside. Could this be the cause of the whining. It's really loud and high pitched.
I bought the tires from Tire Rack, and had them installed by one of their recommened installers.

Do I have any recourse? If this was the cause, any thoughts on how to proceed?

The tires are asymmetric, which is why they have inside and outside markings. The tread blocks are designed as such, and you have been putting max load on what was supposed to be the inside tread blocks. Not only are the tread blocks and compounds specific, but I'd be willing to bet that the tire carcass is designed to be run that way too.

I'm sure that since you've been driving them backwards that they are most likely ruined.

I would take pictures of the install and since you used a tire rack recommended installer, I'd call tire rack first. As them how to proceed. More than likely, you're going to get a more sympathetic response if they are the ones calling the installer, since the Tire Rack carries more weight....they don't want to be booted off the recommended installer list!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

· Registered
21,310 Posts
Re: Noisy Tires - Installers Fault? (KVB-R)

Quote, originally posted by KVB-R »

You're right, I didn't think of that. In most tyre examples the inside and outside are the same. I guess the Pzeros aren't.

Kevin

You're confused between asymmetric tires, in which the inside to outside relationship matters with directional tires, in which the front edge of rotation is what matters. Directional tires can be "turned around" by swapping sides. Asymmetrics must be re-mounted.

As was said above, glad you're safe. That's the first thing that I was thinking....it's a good thing that the tires didn't grenade on you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.