SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone have new news about a tech order or recall in regards to the noisy A/C compressor? (T5) It's almost time for my first oil change and I want to make sure I have all my facts together to get this fixed.

James

·
Registered
301 Posts
mmmm not sure,but i'd like to know also. i just found out i have the seat wiring harness recall too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hi,
Does anyone have new news about a tech order or recall in regards to the noisy A/C compressor? (T5) It's almost time for my first oil change and I want to make sure I have all my facts together to get this fixed.

James
Had you heard there was a TSB or recall or are you just asking if we've heard of anything?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

James

Were you able to get yours fixed? I recently went in my first service, and they "had not had any complaints" on this issue. When I came back to pick up my car, they said they "could not duplicate the problem". I think they did not try very hard, because it is pretty obvious. I did not take it to my preferred dealer though, so maybe my second attempt will be more successful...just not sure when that will be.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Going in tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed because it doesn't happen every day.
if its the same problem i had, it hates high revs. redline it a few times on the way and it'll be growling like mad.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It didn't make the noise until I got in the car to leave. I ran back in and got a tech to come out to listen. He acknowledged that he heard a louder cycle of the compressor on startup but told me because it still worked, he couldn't replace it. We talked a few minutes and he told me there was a standing tech order to fix the compressors on T6 engines as they come in for service or before they are sold but nothing on the T5. He thought the stress of the summer season might trigger a few to actually fail and might get Volvo to issue a tech order on T5s. I really didn't argue with him because the A/C still works even while making the noise, the noise really isn't that loud, goes away quickly and doesn't happen every day. Overall the first service went without a hitch.

I'm going to call Volvo's general customer service number and lodge an official complaint. Maybe if enough of us do they'll issue a tech order. This problem is a small hiccup in an otherwise excellent car. I'm only 7K miles into my ownership so far but I'd buy another one in a minute. I've had Audis, Saabs, Hondas and Landrovers and this is the best of all of them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
related or not?

my blower fan is noisy on manual mode, say 2-3 bars of speed.... howls sometimes

·
Registered
712 Posts
It didn't make the noise until I got in the car to leave. I ran back in and got a tech to come out to listen. He acknowledged that he heard a louder cycle of the compressor on startup but told me because it still worked, he couldn't replace it. We talked a few minutes and he told me there was a standing tech order to fix the compressors on T6 engines as they come in for service or before they are sold but nothing on the T5. He thought the stress of the summer season might trigger a few to actually fail and might get Volvo to issue a tech order on T5s. I really didn't argue with him because the A/C still works even while making the noise, the noise really isn't that loud, goes away quickly and doesn't happen every day. Overall the first service went without a hitch.

I'm going to call Volvo's general customer service number and lodge an official complaint. Maybe if enough of us do they'll issue a tech order. This problem is a small hiccup in an otherwise excellent car. I'm only 7K miles into my ownership so far but I'd buy another one in a minute. I've had Audis, Saabs, Hondas and Landrovers and this is the best of all of them.
Do you know if there is a TSB...not sure what a tech order is? Did he say why T6 but not T5? What does "fix" mean?

·
Registered
13 Posts
... he told me there was a standing tech order to fix the compressors on T6 engines as they come in for service or before they are sold but nothing on the T5.
I wonder if that's why when I brought my 2011 T6 in for the 15K service yesterday there was a big red "RECALL" scribbled across the paperwork... (I don't think the wire harness issue is present in 2011's) I guess I'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TSB and Tech Order are the same. The Tech thought the T6 recall had to do with the compressor being located right at the top of the drivers side of the engine where the noise is a lot louder. T5 compressors are located down low on the passenger side of the engine - location supresses the noise. The "fix" is replacement as I understand it. I didn't ask (but should have) if they are the same compressor for T5 and T6 engines.

With mine, the noise only lasts a few seconds before going away. The compressor still functions while the noise is present. (I'll still take a noisy compressor over runflat tires BMW so stop calling me) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious to know if any of the previous owners/users ever had this problem resolved?

I have a brand new 2012 T5 with just over 5K miles. My compressor started making noise around 2K miles and seems to be getting worse each time it decides to sound off. It's very intermittent and seems to be related to outside humidity and also gets louder/changes tones as the gears shift down almost every time I come to a stop or close to it. Yesterday, it was obnoxiously loud and made me feel like I was driving a 20-year old car with 200K miles and serious issues to fix. I could hear it consistently driving at 30-50mph and sometimes even over the radio. Toggling the A/C switch will make it stop/start ... but changing any of the climate settings bears zero effect on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2012 T6 bought in Jan. Has all the symptoms that people have listed. My dealer replaced my AC Compressor no questions asked on it's first oil change service. I am in Canada

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Curious, to the people that have noisy A/C compressors, do you leave the A/C on all the time in Auto mode?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone have this issue again? My car just hit 19,000 miles today. I was in a traffic light today and thought a diesel truck was next to me... then I hit another red light and the same noise, kept looking for the truck!... turned the AC off and the noise went away. It is my AC compressor and the noise is annoying. Can someone tell me: WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG WITH THIS PIECE OF CRAP????

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anyone have this issue again? My car just hit 19,000 miles today. I was in a traffic light today and thought a diesel truck was next to me... then I hit another red light and the same noise, kept looking for the truck!... turned the AC off and the noise went away. It is my AC compressor and the noise is annoying. Can someone tell me: WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG WITH THIS PIECE OF CRAP????
Has anyone had theirs replaced based on noise? I took it in to have some work done and they said the noise was normal. Maybe it's normal on a Mack truck but certainly not acceptable on the car.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Has anyone had theirs replaced based on noise? I took it in to have some work done and they said the noise was normal. Maybe it's normal on a Mack truck but certainly not acceptable on the car.
If they say it's normal ask them to show you the same "normal" noise in any of the 2012 S60s on their sales floor.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts