SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving around today with the temp reading at 99, I decide to park and leave the car running for about 3 mins. I get out of the car and I hear what seems to sound, as best as I can describe it, like an air leak in a tire. Checked all the tires, and they were fine. Traced it to the engine bay. I have never heard this noise before and I checked the fan and it was off. I tried to trace the sound, but my face was burning off from all the heat in the engine bay. I took a video, but I can't even use that to trace it. But you can still hear the sound. Any idea what it could be? (please excuse the phone video)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Re: noise while engine is off. (o2k)

Was it the interior climate fan that you heard? There is a function called "afterblow" which runs the climate system fan for a few minutes to dry out the evaporator to prevent moisture causing odor. It sounds like a loud whisper from outside the car. Inside you can feel air blowing out of the dash vents. That's the only thing that jumps to mind.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Re: noise while engine is off. (cdauerer)

Loud Whisper? Last time I walked up to my car and heard the fan I thought someone started my car.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: noise while engine is off. (cdauerer)

Quote, originally posted by cdauerer »
Was it the interior climate fan that you heard? There is a function called "afterblow" which runs the climate system fan for a few minutes to dry out the evaporator to prevent moisture causing odor. It sounds like a loud whisper from outside the car. Inside you can feel air blowing out of the dash vents. That's the only thing that jumps to mind.

Afterblow doesn't activate until at least 1/2 hour after the car is shut off.

it is most likely the ECM cooling fan.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: noise while engine is off. (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »

Afterblow doesn't activate until at least 1/2 hour after the car is shut off.

it is most likely the ECM cooling fan.

The ECM has a cooling fan? Did not know that. Well, it was coming from that area.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: noise while engine is off. (mjaffe)

Quote, originally posted by mjaffe »
Loud Whisper? Last time I walked up to my car and heard the fan I thought someone started my car.

Yeah, I've had that happen. Usually it's very soft. But since the weather has gotten so hot, the fan has been very loud.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: noise while engine is off. (o2k)

Quote, originally posted by o2k »
I have never heard this noise before and I checked the fan and it was off.

It is hard to imagine that the engine cooling fan was not operating, since the car is stopped, and at an idle, it is 99 degrees ambient, and I assume at that temperature, the A/C is on.

Could be the vacuum pump located under the air box. If the ECU fan, you should hear it run for a few seconds after engine shutdown.

Afterblow, if it really is enabled, begins 50 minutes after engine shut down, and runs for 7 minutes.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: noise while engine is off. (rogersampson)

Quote, originally posted by rogersampson »

It is hard to imagine that the engine cooling fan was not operating, since the car is stopped, and at an idle, it is 99 degrees ambient, and I assume at that temperature, the A/C is on.

Could be the vacuum pump located under the air box. If the ECU fan, you should hear it run for a few seconds after engine shutdown.

Afterblow, if it really is enabled, begins 50 minutes after engine shut down, and runs for 7 minutes.

Doh, I mis read the initial post. I thought he had shut the car off.

Not the ECU fan, then. You only hear that when the car is off.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: noise while engine is off. (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »

Doh, I mis read the initial post. I thought he had shut the car off.

Not the ECU fan, then. You only hear that when the car is off.

The car was off. Not idle. I had it idling for 3 mins to cool down the turbos. Then I shut off the car. When I got out, that was when I heard the noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.