SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right after I got my car, I noticed this noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJiiXvz5zBk

I posted it here and arrived at the conclusion that it was likely the timing belt tensioner that had not been changed when the belt was changed.

So I changed that and the idler pulley, and also did the serpentine belt while I was in there.

Fast forward to last night. I noticed almost the exact same noise.

My tensioner was surely on the way out, so I really thought that was the issue, and the new belt isn't walking or anything, so I'm a bit perplexed.

I can't think of anything that it would be that could be catastrophic to the engine...maybe a serpentine belt pulley?

Maybe I'll hit the serp with a bit of belt anti squeal and see what happens?

I'm going to go take the timing cover off and see how the tensioner is looking.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You may want to check the waterpump.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bearing shouldn't go on the water pump, should it? There is no play in it whatsoever, btw. Seems solid, not leaking...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought one of those Mechanic Stethoscopes today, the source of the noise seems to be the drive shaft pulley for the serpentine belt. I hit it with some belt dressing and went for a drive, seems to have cleared up.

That's the entire crank shaft, just attached to the pulley, so I can't imagine there's any sort of bearing in there that could be replaced easily. Is that something that could go bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts