SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2002 2.4T for 9 months now (picked it up through TDS) w/ about 13,000 miles on it. I am very happy w/ it so far (performance is great, 24 mpg city, love the seats, geartronic, etc.). Have noticed several things that while are not major, are annoying. One of these is that there is a rattle/clicking sound in the rear head rest/roof/speaker area when going rough surfaces. This is much more noticeable when it is hot outside (my car is parked outside in 90+ weather all day). I have not been able to pinpoint the noise, therefore have not asked Volvo to check it. Any suggestions?

Also, since this is my first post, I'll mention that I got taken to the bank by a Volvo dealership for my 7,500 (8,000 for me) service.... $287 (reg service: oil/filter change, check/re-set computer, check fluid, rotate and balance tires).... I had decided that I would change oil every 4-5K and rotate tires every 8-10K instead of the regular 7,500 mile intervals for both. Any experiences? Couldn't believe that Volvo would make a car that required this $$$ every 7,500 miles. Know this is not required... but come on!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Noise in back... (goldswede)

Welcome to the fray! Nice to see another fellow NoVAer here.

As for the noise all I can think of is a loose speaker and/or cover. Perhaps the rear seat isn't all the way latched and locked from the last time it was folded down? Maybe those plastic covers (three of them) are loose that cover the harness points?

Still at 4500 miles, so I hope my first service isn't so expensive!

·
Registered
128 Posts

Wow, $287 is a bit extreme for the 7500 service. I paid ~$210 which was with full synthetic oil, it would have been ~$175 with regular oil. I can only suggest that you call and ask what the price would be in advance, at least you will know going in what you are up against. Or another dealer if that is an option for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts

My 7500 mile service was $109 with tax. I have noticed that the price is quite variable, and it seems to be regional in nature. My 15,000 mile service was about $220, which was done in a different part of the country than the first, but still seemed a little bit high for me.

Chad.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I haven't gone in for my 7,500 service yet but called and got the price from the Annapolis, MD dealer (one closest to me). I have a V70 but I'm assuming that should not make a difference really. Price is $140 and it covers what you had done with our 7,500 mi service. Oil changes there run $29.95 for non-syn oil or $55.50 for synthetic.

I would say that cost was extreme. You might want to check around for prices.

I did not ask about 15,000 prices yet so can't provide you that info but I believe it costs more since they change the air filter with that service.

Good luck.
dgriffith

[Modified by dgriffith, 4:48 AM 10-2-2002]

[Modified by dgriffith, 4:49 AM 10-2-2002]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Noise in back... (dgriffith)

Hey, that service bill is way too steep. Since you are in Fairfax, try Viking Automotive in Chantilly. They only service Volvos and do a great job. http://www.vikingautomotive.com. They are Volvo certified for maintenance, and will stamp your book for you. I am not in any way affiliated with them, they've just done a great job for me and were recommended to me by several people.

I paid something like $110 for 7500 mile service with synthetic oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts