SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flushed my transmission myself with 12 L of oil at about 100k miles (160k km). Last and first/only prior flush was at 60k miles (96k km). Transmission shifts much better. Haven't driven the car in 2-3 weeks since but I did on monday and noticed it sounded really "raw" under load when I gave it the beans on the highway. Sounds was awesome and I attributed that to a) having forgotten how good it sounds, and b) torque converter maybe engaging better or differently somehow after the flush?

It wasn't so awesome anymore when I noticed the same raw sound the next day when pulling away from a stop, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Sounds kind of as if there was a hole in the exhaust somewhere, except it doesn't sound bad - sounds really good. But there's also a minor associated vibration to it that has me worried together with the sound.

It only occurs under load. I thought torque converter because it happened at low speeds but it also happens if I drive it in manual shifting, slowly build some revs and then increase the load. So it also happens when it's using full lock-up which to me seems to indicate it might not be the torque converter?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it the torque converter or could there be something else that I could check and if so, what? I thought engine mounts too but I don't see why they'd go bad so quick. I haven't had a chance yet but I'm planning on checking the oil level again just in case, as well as checking for error codes (I've never had any on the transmission so why would I now though? No slip either, just this noise).

And my biggest concern is if it's fine to drive like this?

Registered
I flushed my transmission myself with 12 L of oil at about 100k miles (160k km). Last and first/only prior flush was at 60k miles (96k km). Transmission shifts much better. Haven't driven the car in 2-3 weeks since but I did on monday and noticed it sounded really "raw" under load when I gave it the beans on the highway. Sounds was awesome and I attributed that to a) having forgotten how good it sounds, and b) torque converter maybe engaging better or differently somehow after the flush?

It wasn't so awesome anymore when I noticed the same raw sound the next day when pulling away from a stop, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Sounds kind of as if there was a hole in the exhaust somewhere, except it doesn't sound bad - sounds really good. But there's also a minor associated vibration to it that has me worried together with the sound.

It only occurs under load. I thought torque converter because it happened at low speeds but it also happens if I drive it in manual shifting, slowly build some revs and then increase the load. So it also happens when it's using full lock-up which to me seems to indicate it might not be the torque converter?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it the torque converter or could there be something else that I could check and if so, what? I thought engine mounts too but I don't see why they'd go bad so quick. I haven't had a chance yet but I'm planning on checking the oil level again just in case, as well as checking for error codes (I've never had any on the transmission so why would I now though? No slip either, just this noise).

And my biggest concern is if it's fine to drive like this?
Check the exhaust, maybe there is a leak

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 - 3 of 3 Posts