SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems when I'm driving down the road there is a oscillating noise from the back of the car that increases and decreases when the speed goes up and down. I tried the wheel bearings but they seem to be ok with no groaning or play when pulling on the wheel when lifted.

Can anyone suggest what it could be ??

A out of balance wheel ?
A damaged tyre ?

Help please?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
When rear wheel bearings start going bad its not unusual for them to start making noise long before there is detectable play or noises they will make when you spin them by hand up in the air due to the lack of heavy loading.

I'm currently in that boat if I'm not just being paranoid about tire noise. Will be jacking and inspecting soon as well.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Does it sound like metal on metal?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
What I've found is that wheel bearings don't tend to make as strong of an "oscillating" noise -- that's almost always tires. Wheel bearings are more of a constant growl or howl. What tires do you have?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It didn't sound like metal on metal. I had to replace the tire on one of the rears with what I could get hold of in the middle of nowhere as I had a blowout. I think my shocks are shot too, there is some feathering on the tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I have an oscillating noise then the wheel is turning at speed 30 mph upwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So back to this, I had my local Volvo stealership inspect the car for the whine, they said it was miss aligned rear wheels. They corrected the angles and said the tires would wear back and the noise would go. Well I have changed my tires fro Snow tires and surprise surprise the whine is still there.This is now more than 1500 miles later.

Can anyone tell me what else I could be looking for and cost ? Rear Axel ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh changed the oil in the DEM but not he filter also

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm not so sure about tires "wearing back." I would assume the snows are not brand new? It does sound a lot like tires except for the fact that you mention it is a whine. Tires are more of a roar or a growling usually. However, if it were anything in the drive line, it would most likely not oscillate.

Start with the easiest and cheapest first. Try moving the front tires to the rear and vice versa. See if the noise changes. If it does, you know it is the tires. If you have non-directional tires, you can even try changing sides to see if that changes the noise.

If it doesn't affect the noise you know you are looking at the drive line. You can try disabling AWD by lifting the hand brake one or two clicks till the light comes on and see if the noise goes away, but the best would be to get it on a lift and get under it while rolling to see where the sound is coming from.

The fact that you had to replace one rear tire due to a blowout is not good. Mismatched tread depth can put extra strain on the AWD and diff. I hope for your wallet's sake it isn't that.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
If the sound remains no matter what tires are back there chances are high that its a wheel bearing or CV. It took my rear wheel bearing a while to progress from what sounded like tire noise from an inside out rotation I did to a full on drone several thousand miles later.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after getting back in the R I tried to pull on the Parking brake, the sound did not change. We also have a lot of Snow on the ground. I floored the car in a parking lot and front and rear drive ok with no wheel spinning from the front. This shows that the Haldex is working OK.

So CV or Wheel bearing or something else ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts