SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to hear this clang clang sound.
I hear it not all the times. It is more noticeable at slow speed, and the frequency on clang is directly proportional to the speed of the car. Below is a video for the sound only while drive about 5 or 10 mph.
https://vimeo.com/153337310
My guess is either the propeller shaft or the rear differential.
I put the car on stands but couldn't see anything unusual.
Any idea of what is going on?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
That's sounds like the angle gear... Get under there and see if there is excessive slop. Also see if the angle gear yoke has in out or radial play.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My angle gear is welded and 4wd works perfectly. The sound appears to be coming from the rear of the car also.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
My angle gear is welded and 4wd works perfectly. The sound appears to be coming from the rear of the car also.
No I mean actual angle gear pinion bearing failure... not the collar sleeve. Welding the angle gear won't prevent this. And until it catastrophically fails it will continue to work... When my angle gear went last week it sounded similar. It could be the center driveshaft support. Go under the car and check for play in the driveshaft, angle gear and rear diff (not quite sure how to check a rear diff)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Do you hear the sound only from the rear or sometimes you feel it's coming from the center or from the front? Sometimes I have a similar noise, mostly under low engine load, means as soon as I floor the pedal then noise is gone.
Rear diff oil replaced 7k miles ago, no AWD issues, no DTCs. One garage told me the propshaft bearings needs to be replaced, another garage said all fine and the exhaust was touching the propshaft.
To check the shaft, I believe it needs to be unbolted and each bearing checked separately, which you can't do while it is on the car. Before you take it off, make sure, you mark each bolts and their location and put them back to the exact same place. Some said, the bolts have some role in the balancing. Maybe it applies only to the P1 cars, I can't remember, but adding some precautions, won't hurt.

As for the bearings: Volvo has the front bearing repair kit for 2xx Euros, no kit for the center and for the rear bearings. The other solution from our 'dear dealers' and Volvo to purchase the entire shaft for a very steep price. I can't recall the name of the US company, but they're offering complete refurbishment for a reasonable price. Other options are, XC 70 propshaft from salvage/ebay etc or contact to a driveshaft center and purchase the bearings from them ( but please keep in mind the shaft still needs to be balanced at the end)

@Hound
Would you know what should be considered as normal play on the angle gear? My one has a play ex can push the propshaft towards to the engine and towards to the trunk too a bit. No play once trying to move it to left or right horizontally. Also able to twist/rotate the shaft by a hairline bit.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I welded the angle gear 3 years ago, I opened it to reseal and the gears were not worn inside. Since then, it always had oil. It was out again 9 month ago and appear in good condition. Also the noise really seems to come from the center rear.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
In out play in the angle gear output isn't great... Rotational you can have a little slop... The output shouldn't move in any direction... It should only rotate.

I kept mine topped with fluid and it still went... Bearings wear...

Colorado Driveshaft remans prop shafts for like 450 with shipping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts