SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Solved! Gates wp went bad in 40k miles - noise - cvvt hub or water pump?

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out this noise. I removed the serpentine belt and it didn't change. The water pump is a Gates I installed 40k miles ago when I replaced the timing belt, etc.
I first thought it was the CVVT hub but once I removed the timing covers I noticed the pump is leaking coolant. Also, I had replaced the seals on both hubs and cams since I had an oil leak 7 months/5k miles ago. The hubs had about 2mm play...not ideal but I left them alone.
Could you please watch this video and let me know what you think?

Thank you in advance!

2005 XC90 2.5T AWD - 160k miles

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, I just replaced the water pump (and a few other things since I was already there). Sounds great again. The bearings on the GATES WP were in terrible shape. Thankfully I didn't let it run like that for long...It had only been a week since I heard the noise.
Those of you with GATES water pumps keep a close eye on it. Looks like a lot of people had issues with them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
FYI, I just replaced the water pump (and a few other things since I was already there). Sounds great again. The bearings on the GATES WP were in terrible shape. Thankfully I didn't let it run like that for long...It had only been a week since I heard the noise.
Those of you with GATES water pumps keep a close eye on it. Looks like a lot of people had issues with them.

Appreciate the update! Was any brand marked on the water pump ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts