SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 08 XC90 V8 that is making a noise AFTER I release the brakes. Best I can describe is the car is making a squeal (kind of like the sound wet brakes will make when stopping, but not real loud). Its a low pitch and happens after driving for a while, so assume brakes are hot, and after I have stopped and release the brakes to accelerate. The brakes aren't siezed, I know what that sounds like. ALmost seems like air is being released and making the noise or vibration? Its a CPO and I'll have the dealer take a look, but any thoughts as to the cause would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We have the same problem on our 2004 XC90. Dealer could not diagnose the problem accurately, for they just kept throwing various remedies at it. If you find out what the problem is, please post it here! It is quite embarrassing to drive up and have people cover their ears

·
Registered
564 Posts
Could it be a squeaky brake pedal?

A rental Xterra I had years ago did the exact same thing; some testing brought up the fact that it was the brake pedal itself making the squeak, right upon release.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would bet that you have the same noise that my XC90 had... Check your front rotors. Do they have a lip around the outside edge? If so, it's the brake pad vibrating in the caliper as it rubs on the lip of the rotor. My dealer took the pads out, chamfered the edge adjacent to the lip and the noise stopped. I believe there is an older technical bulletin about this noise.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have to agree, I have the same issue with mine. It started out on one rear wheel then progressed to both. When I had my brake lines replaced the tech said he put some brake lube on the pads... I didn't think any into to (didn't ask why) but the noise went away BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY. It's back and I'm fairly convinced its the pads. I did think, at one time, it might have been the shroud around the top half of the rear rotors in that I thought the rotor might be rubbing somehow. I also thought it might have been the emergency brakes deteriorating, at one point. I think I'll take a shot at 'doing my rear brakes' when I get up enough gumption...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the same, every time I release the brake pedal, I heard squeal sound (seems like from the pedal), I try to lubricate the pedal joint, but could not locate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts