SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our XC90 is making a kind of whooshing sound (only when you give it gas) after they just replaced the steering rack. It sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment. Anyone have an idea what it may be?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't know if its the same problem, but three times after they replaced the transmission or bevel gear seals, I had the same sound that seems to be coming from the driver/steering rack area. There seems to some sort of pipe or tube that they forgot to connect to somewhere on the steering column and it lets the sound into the cabin when you give it gas. It takes about 5 min. to fix.<p>

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: Noise after having steering rack replaced (baxteR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>baxteR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Our XC90 is making a kind of whooshing sound (only when you give it gas) after they just replaced the steering rack. It sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment. Anyone have an idea what it may be?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I just had the steering rack replaced on my wife's '05 XC90 last week at 35K. The only noticeable issue I have experienced since the repair is more noise going over bumps etc. I'll have to listen for the whoosing sound while giving it gas.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Noise after having steering rack replaced (enVious)

Is it a common thing to be replacing the steering racks in the XC90's with low mileage?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Re: Noise after having steering rack replaced (baxteR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>baxteR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it a common thing to be replacing the steering racks in the XC90's with low mileage? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>I think I had two replaced on the 2003 that was trade assist back to volvo at 42-43k <p>current at about 42k, no issues

1 - 5 of 5 Posts