SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
parked my car, went in the store 10 minutes tried to restart and key will not turn all the way to a crank position. had someone bring me the spare key and same thing. when i turn the key i get a relay clunk type noise in the area around the console around the drivers side seat area.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Stupid question, did you try jerking the steering wheel each direction?

If that didn't work, it's entirely possible that your ignition switch is in need of cleaning or replacement.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm fairly certain that you will get an immobilizer warning message in the instrument panel message center if the immobilizer is defeating your ignition request.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's not uncommon to hear a relay or two click when switching the ignition on to the first position or so, perhaps the ignition switch is only mechanically allowing you to turn the key just far enough to start sending power to a circuit (fuel pump?)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
parked my car, went in the store 10 minutes tried to restart and key will not turn all the way to a crank position. had someone bring me the spare key and same thing. when i turn the key i get a relay clunk type noise in the area around the console around the drivers side seat area.
You have to jerk the steering wheel around while attempting to turn the key to position III (crank position), mine had this issue a while back, so did our old 2002 2.4T S60, a good cleaning with some MAF cleaner and a thin brush solved the issue.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You have to jerk the steering wheel around while attempting to turn the key to position III (crank position), mine had this issue a while back, so did our old 2002 2.4T S60, a good cleaning with some MAF cleaner and a thin brush solved the issue.
Thank you for writing that in a clearer way than I did, I was really tired when I was posting that last night.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for writing that in a clearer way than I did, I was really tired when I was posting that last night.
yes it was the ignition switch, luckily I have a volvo tech who instructed me on how to get it started and home until it could be ordered. who knew you could start these cars with a plain ole screwdriver?

·
Registered
329 Posts
yes it was the ignition switch, luckily I have a volvo tech who instructed me on how to get it started and home until it could be ordered. who knew you could start these cars with a plain ole screwdriver?
Glad to hear you got it home and are in the process of getting it straightened out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts