SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I start my car, I hear a loud popping sound from the speakers and all sound is dead in my car. Even parking sensors won't make a sound.
When I lock/unlock my car and start again, all sound is back. Vida says there is an open circuit at the speakers. Maybe some ground issues? A month ago I talked to a customer who had the exact same problem.

We both have Premium Sound. Mine is a 2011, customer has a 2012.

Is there a permanent fix for this?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have the premium sound in my 2015 S60 and my car is back in the shop again for the same type of issue. Back in November 2018, the audio system would kind of reboot after a pop was heard in the speaker. Volvo replaced the IAM under warranty and that seemed to fix it.

A month ago I brought it back to Volvo after the issue returned with a vengeance - sometimes the system would short out 10 times in a 20 minute trip. Volvo said they couldn't fix it again under warranty even though it's clear the problem wasn't resolved or, at worst, the IAM was faulty. They bypassed the satellite radio thinking that would fix the problem, and gave me my car back. It didn't fix the problem at all. So it's back in the shop again.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
A month ago I brought it back to Volvo after the issue returned with a vengeance - sometimes the system would short out 10 times in a 20 minute trip. Volvo said they couldn't fix it again under warranty even though it's clear the problem wasn't resolved or, at worst, the IAM was faulty.
I may be out to lunch, but doesn't your Volvo dealership warranty the parts they replace? If the replaced part is faulty, why are they not ordering a new one?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I may be out to lunch, but doesn't your Volvo dealership warranty the parts they replace? If the replaced part is faulty, why are they not ordering a new one?
I'm almost certain they do, especially within a year. That's assuming they say the IAM went bad again. Seeing as how they've had my car since Monday (over 3 days) and haven't called me to say what they think is wrong, I have a feeling they will try to say it's anything but what they've already fixed. We shall see. I'm going to call them today and see what they have been up to.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my IAM, fixed it for good and actually somehow improved the sound volume.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Update (of sorts) on my situation: Volvo of Charlotte still has my car. They say they have difficulty diagnosing the new IAM they installed in November, whatever that means. I'm thinking they don't want to replace it under their parts warranty. So my car has been sitting there waiting to be worked on by the foreman. The service writer I've been dealing with says they've only been able to replicate the shorting out twice, but they don't know what to do.

I'm at my wit's end. I know the IAM is bad, but they don't want to replace it to see if that fixes the issue, despite the fact they replaced it less than a year ago which fixed the problem then. I've had my car a grand total of 3 days in the last month, and they either need to fix my car or give it back to me.

Will contacting Volvo of NA directly do any good for me?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have the same issue. 15 xc60 r design. I thought it would be the amp. I'm pretty sure that's what is actually doing this. What exactly does the iam do? And where is it located?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Update (of sorts) on my situation: Volvo of Charlotte still has my car. They say they have difficulty diagnosing the new IAM they installed in November, whatever that means. I'm thinking they don't want to replace it under their parts warranty. So my car has been sitting there waiting to be worked on by the foreman. The service writer I've been dealing with says they've only been able to replicate the shorting out twice, but they don't know what to do.

I'm at my wit's end. I know the IAM is bad, but they don't want to replace it to see if that fixes the issue, despite the fact they replaced it less than a year ago which fixed the problem then. I've had my car a grand total of 3 days in the last month, and they either need to fix my car or give it back to me.

Will contacting Volvo of NA directly do any good for me?

I would just go to a different dealer and explain the situation.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would just go to a different dealer and explain the situation.
I'm tempted to, but I highly doubt I'll get the IAM replaced under another dealer's warranty. And I'm really sick of not having my car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Another update: surprise surprise surprise it's the IAM that needs replacing.

Here's the infuriating part: since the IAM was originally replaced while the car was under warranty (November), when the car's warranty expired (this April) the part warranty expired. If I had the IAM replaced out of warranty, it would have a lifetime part warranty. If I replaced the part one day before the car's warranty expired and the part went bad the next day, I'd be expected to pay for its replacement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No sound in V60 after popping sound from the speakersr

Keeping your expectations tiny results in a life less whiny!

Did you read the car warranty and repair parts warranty?

Hold that fury in check, it’s little help.

And thanks for your posts, our S60 just last week did the pop then no audio trick.

Glad we have the extended VIP warrant to save our bacon financially.

Anyone wondering if the VIP warranty is worth the money - with Volvo cars reliability, such as it is, one cannot afford to NOT have it!

·
Registered
7,825 Posts

Here's the infuriating part: since the IAM was originally replaced while the car was under warranty (November), when the car's warranty expired (this April) the part warranty expired. If I had the IAM replaced out of warranty, it would have a lifetime part warranty. If I replaced the part one day before the car's warranty expired and the part went bad the next day, I'd be expected to pay for its replacement.

I'd reach out to Volvo NA / executives. Explaining the problem was diagnosed under warranty but not corrected. And supposedly the part used was faulty. Can't hurt to ask for good will.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'd reach out to Volvo NA / executives. Explaining the problem was diagnosed under warranty but not corrected. And supposedly the part used was faulty. Can't hurt to ask for good will.
When I spoke to the service manager today it sounds like they've put in a request with Volvo corporate for just that. Hopefully Volvo approves the repair.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
When I spoke to the service manager today it sounds like they've put in a request with Volvo corporate for just that. Hopefully Volvo approves the repair.

Sounds good. You never know until you ask and your case sounds like a prime example for good will.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

I'm sorry, but that sounds like BS from the dealership. Regardless of when a part is replaced, does Volvo not warranty their parts when they replace them? It shouldn't matter of the car is under CPO or not. An authorized dealer replaced a part with a genuine Volvo part and that should be covered. I would be contacting Volvo corporate and asking for their explanation of this and for some help.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm sorry, but that sounds like BS from the dealership. Regardless of when a part is replaced, does Volvo not warranty their parts when they replace them? It shouldn't matter of the car is under CPO or not. An authorized dealer replaced a part with a genuine Volvo part and that should be covered. I would be contacting Volvo corporate and asking for their explanation of this and for some help.
While I agree with your logic, apparently Volvo only offers lifetime warranty on replacement parts if the customer paid for them out-of-pocket.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9411/~/volvo-lifetime-parts-%26-labor-warranty

" This warranty does not cover parts replaced under your Volvo New Car, Certified Pre Owned or VIP Warranty. For repairs completed under these warranties you will be covered for the balance of the remaining warranty or 90 days, whichever is greater. "

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
While I agree with your logic, apparently Volvo only offers lifetime warranty on replacement parts if the customer paid for them out-of-pocket.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9411/~/volvo-lifetime-parts-%26-labor-warranty

" This warranty does not cover parts replaced under your Volvo New Car, Certified Pre Owned or VIP Warranty. For repairs completed under these warranties you will be covered for the balance of the remaining warranty or 90 days, whichever is greater. "
Yep, which is why asking for good will is in order.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yep, which is why asking for good will is in order.
I put in a case with Volvo corporate Thursday the 19th. Here's to hoping that they give me some good will. Otherwise this is likely my last Volvo.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do any of you know where the IAM module is located? Mine needs replacing as it keeps cutting out upon start up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts