SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started a couple days ago. Sound was working fine, then silence. I get crackle sounds every couple seconds.

I've pulled the stereo out and checked and reconnected all interconnects, but no change.

A couple times it has given a deep pop, then started working again for a few minutes.

Not sure if this is head unit side or amp side.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The head unit powers the center speaker so if you have a center speaker and no sound in others, its likely an amp. If no sound in any, it could be the head unit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Had the EXACT same problem, replaced the whole head unit. Works great.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The one thing I can think of checking is to see if one of the speaker leads is shorting to ground some where in the car and pissing off the factory amp.

All you need to do is pull the headunit or even amp and test each speaker lead for continuity to ground with a DMM with the harness unplugged.

I have seen aftermarket decks show those same symptoms once a speaker lead is shorted to ground.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the head unit apart. Looks like overheating. Going to try reflow in some leads.

·
Registered
2006 XC70
1 Posts
Had the EXACT same problem, replaced the whole head unit. Works great.
sorry I’m new here, but I have been having this problem for the better part of 6 years. Only for the last four months have I stopped the popping by pulling the fuse. Crazy I had to listen to the popping all that time. I am driving a Volvo XC70 2006 and I would love to replace my head unit as well. My car has a subwoofer and park assist, is there a certain model i need? Does anybjdy know where I can get one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts