SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an estimate on having my door repainted yesterday, and let me tell you, there is no respect for trying to take care of a 240. Had one rep ask me why I was bothering, and had another make a smarta$$ comment about checking to make sure they could still get parts for the car. Everyone I talk to about the reapint simply asks why I don't just buy a new car. I'll admit, she's not much to look at, but she still starts right up and runs smooth, but I guess that means nothing to most people.<p>Anywho, quote I got for just the door was $448, and for fun I asked about a full car repaint, and the guy said it starts at $5,000. Does that seem waaay over the top or is that normal for a full car paint job?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: No Respect (gdill2)

I painted to door myself, which is kind of the problem.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: No Respect (swimmer240)

What kind of people are in these shops that make that kind of a comment? <p>Funny story, but about ten years ago, a friend of mine in L.A. wanted to get his 84 240 two door turbo painted. At the time, while visiting the dealer, they only had two left... a red one and a silver one. I got the silver. He was running into all kinds of problems with getting his car painted, just like you... lots of attitude problems. Not only that, he only wanted the car painted in the original color but not the door jambs along with a couple of other places masked off and left unpainted, like the center post right behind the doors, and of course didn't want the black trim painted around the windows. After removing all of the trim and door handles, he took his car down to Tijuana and spoke to a guy at the first shop that he stopped at. Long story short, they did a spectacular job, and ten years later, that paint is holding up spectacularly and not chipping off anywhere and the sides of the car still look smooth as glass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts