SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What am I missing? Just brought it home a little while ago. My daughter jumps into the back seat and asks where the buttons are. No rear seat heater buttons on the front console. The 2007 brochure says they are standard on the V8. I have front butt warmers, 4c Suspension, adaptive headlights, blis,

Teach me to not get a thorough PPI :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
A friend bought a new 2014 Volvo and despite inscription upholstery and Summum (highest spec in Sweden at least) rear heated seat were optional extras. If they're standard in NA, maybe the car wasn't ordered there but imported from elsewhere?

I think the integrated booster seats can't be combined with heated seats so if you have the former that might be the answer too.

Also, tommm, still waiting for pictures of your car. I think I'm not alone in saying that :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our '07 V8 doesn't have them either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think rear seat heaters became included in the Climate Package until MY 2008

·
Registered
223 Posts
The 2007 Climate Package included-
Heated Front Seats
Heated Windshield Washer Nozzles
High-Pressure Headlight Cleaning
Rain-sensor windshield wipers
(Heated Rear Seats were added to the package for 2008)

Here's a link to the 2007 S80 Brochure for your reference- 2007 S80

·
3,391 Posts
This is correct. Rear heated seats were first available in the usa in the 2008 model. In 2008 they were included with the climate package. I believe in some newer years they were then eliminated again, or offered as a standalone option. The same goes for the rear seat audio controls.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is correct. Rear heated seats were first available in the usa in the 2008 model. In 2008 they were included with the climate package. I believe in some newer years they were then eliminated again, or offered as a standalone option. The same goes for the rear seat audio controls.
Actually, it appears that the Heated Rear Seats have been included with the Climate Package consistently since 2008.

But the Ventilated Seats feature is a different, more confusing story. It was part of the Sport Package in 2007 and 2008. For 2009-2010, it was standard on the V8 and optional in the Executive Package on other models. The 2009-2010 Ventilated Seats were also shown to have a Massage feature....interesting. From 2011 to 2016, Ventilated Seats are included in the Inscription Package (but without the 'massage' function shownf or 2009-2010).

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for clearing that up. I could have sworn I downloaded a 2007 brochure. no biggie, I'm not sitting back there. The little princess on the other hand....
Also, tommm, still waiting for pictures of your car. I think I'm not alone in saying that :)
it's an electric silver/black S80. The PO painted the calipers red, and had the sport 18" wheels painted gray. I just put a set of C70 17" wheels on the car today, and Tuesday the 17s get winter tires. It is really a very boring car, not that the E39 540i with a manual was that exciting, but it was more fun to drive.

To do: Transmission flush. I'm not thrilled with the notchiness of the shifting.

When I swapped the wheels I noticed one of the front shocks was wet. It wasn't when I tested the car last week. I thought things got a little funky when I shifted from comfort to sport on the highway. I'm noticing something that feels like it is coming from the front left, which may be the leaking shock. Oh joy, $900 for two shocks on a 60k mile car.

·
3,391 Posts
Actually, it appears that the Heated Rear Seats have been included with the Climate Package consistently since 2008.

But the Ventilated Seats feature is a different, more confusing story. It was part of the Sport Package in 2007 and 2008. For 2009-2010, it was standard on the V8 and optional in the Executive Package on other models. The 2009-2010 Ventilated Seats were also shown to have a Massage feature....interesting. From 2011 to 2016, Ventilated Seats are included in the Inscription Package (but without the 'massage' function shownf or 2009-2010).
You're exactly right. The "executive" cars were only available in 09 and 10 in the USA, and executive was standard on the V8 and optional on the T6 and 3.2. Those got the heated/ventilated/massage seats with full sovereign hide. The 07-08s had the sport package which came with heated/ventilated seats but with standard leather. The 11+ cars got the heated/ventilated seats in the inscription package with full sovereign hide but no massage function. I've retrofitted the complete interior from a 2010 s80 executive into my 2008 sport and the massage function is my absolute favorite feature. The executive cars also have a switch where the rear seat passenger can move the front passenger seat forward for more leg room. That's also a nice feature. As a side note, the massage function can be retrofitted into any car, but you can't retrofit ventilated seats into a car which didn't come with them from the factory. People have tried by adding the buttons and the seats and they wont work. :( Since my 08 was a sport package car that had ventilation, all of the executive seat functions work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I could have sworn I downloaded a 2007 brochure. no biggie, I'm not sitting back there. The little princess on the other hand....it's an electric silver/black S80. The PO painted the calipers red, and had the sport 18" wheels painted gray. I just put a set of C70 17" wheels on the car today, and Tuesday the 17s get winter tires. It is really a very boring car, not that the E39 540i with a manual was that exciting, but it was more fun to drive.

To do: Transmission flush. I'm not thrilled with the notchiness of the shifting.

When I swapped the wheels I noticed one of the front shocks was wet. It wasn't when I tested the car last week. I thought things got a little funky when I shifted from comfort to sport on the highway. I'm noticing something that feels like it is coming from the front left, which may be the leaking shock. Oh joy, $900 for two shocks on a 60k mile car.
I'm just curious, are the 17s from a 2006-2013 C70? I think that wheel design is called 'Sirona' and they're not bad looking. How do you think they'll look on the S80? The whole concept of swappreing out wheels/tires for winter is completely foreign to me. We have so little frozen precipitation here in Georgia and I probably don't appreciate that enough. Although, when we do get snow in Atlanta, everything grinds to a halt!

Sorry to hear about the front suspension! So you think that both front struts may need replacing? I just did a quick search and it looks like you can get high-quality ones for around $260 each...then the labor to install them unless you plan to do it yourself.

Even though my vehicles allegedly have 'lifetime' transmission fluid, I am a stickler for changing the ATF at 50-60k and then every 30k thereafter. What can it hurt? I changed the ATF in my mom's '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee every 30k miles, even though it only called for it every 60k, and it paid off. The original 42RE (variation of Chrysler's TorqueFlite A500 piece of crap) 4-speed automatic was still working fine when we sold it a few years ago with over 260k miles on it! My mechanic said it was a 'freak of manufacturing' because he had never seen that transmission make it past 150k before...

So changing the ATF is definitely a good idea.

Otherwise, what do you think about how the S80, in general, and the V8, in particular, drives???

BTW, here are links to a few other things you might be interested in. One of a 2007 S80 press release detailing the primary standard features and all options available- LINK

And here's a link to some great photos of the 2007/2008 S80 V8, including quite a few in Electric Silver- LINK

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sirona it is. See the link on the other thread I started with a Volvo publicity picture.
Sorry to hear about the front suspension! So you think that both front struts may need replacing? I just did a quick search and it looks like you can get high-quality ones for around $260 each...then the labor to install them unless you plan to do it yourself.
Im not seeing less than 788 from Volvolisle for the pair plus shipping of $37.
http://volvopartslisle.com/part/OEM-Volvo-Part-31340317/Shock-Absorber

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Can you describe "notchy" a bit more?
But gut reaction is that this is actually normal. These cars have very aggressive torque converter lockup in gears 2-6 and the quick shifts can feel "notchy" if you're used to the much slower/slushy-er 5 speed from your XC90 2.5T!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you describe "notchy" a bit more?
But gut reaction is that this is actually normal. These cars have very aggressive torque converter lockup in gears 2-6 and the quick shifts can feel "notchy" if you're used to the much slower/slushy-er 5 speed from your XC90 2.5T!
I feel the shifts. you hit it on the head. But, ive read so much about the V8 transmission needing a flush to shift better that im thinking after 9 years, might as well have the dealer do the power flush.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Warped,
I paid more attention today. In a parking lot I gave it gas. it revved a bit, then I felt the downshift kick. I guess my concern is the time (maybe a second) that I felt it rev before it kicked in. maybe an analogy is that it felt like an old GM Powerglide as it was about to downshift.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The TF80 is a great gearbox, if you get a new enough model year Volvo. My experience somewhat leading up to buying my MY07 S80 was from behind the wheel of a MY14 T6 and what I loved the most was giving it about 50% throttle a bit swiftly and having it downshift 2-3 gears and hit you with the acceleration and it did it all very quickly. My S80 however behaves as you describe, if I give it a bit of gas it tries to accelerate on the current gear, realizes it's not enough, downshifts and in some cases realizes that's not enough either before downshifting again and THEN setting off.

The solution is unfortunately to learn how the gearbox works and what kind of stuff it reacts negatively to. Mine is flushed and I most of the time I drive very gently. Thanks to that it shifts very smoothly and more or less unnoticeably. I occasionally like to drive it a bit more actively though and what I've noticed overall is that it responds a lot better to swift gas pedal operations rather than successively giving it more and more. In the former scenario, jump from 10 to 50-75% throttle and it'll skip two gears straight away (mine didn't at first but sort of learned I think). In the latter case it'll probably behave more like I described previously, trying to accelerate and downshifting, accelerating and downshifting again. I think the key's to press quickly and hold basically, otherwise it'll just want to hold the gear for as possible which until you've figured it wont downshift it'll hit 5k RPM anyway and the power delivery will be the same. It'll just feel slower.

Err, sorry for the rant. I think it's a nice gearbox but leaves more to desire especially coming from a newer version of it. Great once you learn it, mostly. As for yours, tomm, report back after a flush. What's the mileage on it by the way? Mine had 90000 km (56k mi or so) when I flushed it and comparing shift quality at operating temperature they became near enough unnoticeable after the flush whereas all of them could be felt before.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm about to hit 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Warped,
I paid more attention today. In a parking lot I gave it gas. it revved a bit, then I felt the downshift kick. I guess my concern is the time (maybe a second) that I felt it rev before it kicked in. maybe an analogy is that it felt like an old GM Powerglide as it was about to downshift.
Again, sounds normal. It is slower to "react" as Schmoyoho mentions, but the shifts themselves happen very fast.

Try using manual shift mode and see if you can reproduce any problems. If so, describe them in detail here.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again, sounds normal. It is slower to "react" as Schmoyoho mentions, but the shifts themselves happen very fast.

Try using manual shift mode and see if you can reproduce any problems. If so, describe them in detail here.
That sums it up. Slower to react which feels like slipping, then the snap. I'll let the dealership change the quid if they do the big flush via the coolant hoses. Maybe let them flush the brakes too if they can assure me they are getting into the abs system too.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have rear heated seats in the back of my 07 V8. The buttons are located in the back of the center console.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts