SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 S60r is having a number of weird electrical gremlins. Since last week it won't start, there aren't any lights on the dash when I turn the key and nothing changes when I turn the key but the siren goes off constantly. Nothing will make the siren stop no matter what I do, I've tried everything in the manual and tihngs people have suggested. The only thing I haven't pulled that people have mentioned is the CEM, mainly because I don't know were it is located. When I asked Ipd they said it probably needs a software update so take it to a dealer. Anyone have any idea before a go to a dealer and pay an arm and a leg to have it looked into?

·
Registered
701 Posts
What kind of shape is the battery in? Sounds to me with what you have said that the battery is shot.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
175 Posts
What Bill Said, but also possibly the “Alarm Siren Module”.

It had a “rechargeable battery pack” built into the alarm siren module, and it can immobilize the car as well.

My 04 V70R just started giving me “Alarm Service Required” messages on start up. I know it’s the internal memory battery gone bad, and I have read how to replace it for $10 versus the $275 it cost for a complete module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your battery is good? For alarm you may check fuse 8, under the steering /driver side cover.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 2005 S60r is having a number of weird electrical gremlins. Since last week it won't start, there aren't any lights on the dash when I turn the key and nothing changes when I turn the key but the siren goes off constantly. Nothing will make the siren stop no matter what I do, I've tried everything in the manual and tihngs people have suggested. The only thing I haven't pulled that people have mentioned is the CEM, mainly because I don't know were it is located. When I asked Ipd they said it probably needs a software update so take it to a dealer. Anyone have any idea before a go to a dealer and pay an arm and a leg to have it looked into?
First off, when you said the car wouldn't start last week, what were the symptoms? Did you get any error messages then? Dead battery, immobilizer triggered, bad CEM, wiring break, bad starter, bad connection to the starter, etc.- there are so many possibilities that you need to narrow this down significantly or you're not going to get anywhere.

Can you lock/unlock the car with the buttons on the key or do you actually have to use the lock cylinder? If you have an issue with the key, it's possible that your remote locking has gotten out of sync with the car- you need to consult the manual, but it's a combination of opening the door with the key, using the lock button on the door and using the buttons on your key to get it to re-sync. Also, if your key battery is dead, that can cause sync issues. It's a CR2032.

Look at the simplest causes first. Make sure your battery is in good condition and fully charged, and that you don't have a condition that is causing the battery to discharge (current draw, bad alternator, etc.).

FYI, the CEM is under the steering column in the driver's footwell. Unless you're an electronics expert, looking at the CEM will most likely not tell you anything- it's not something you can bench-test without specialized equipment.

As for software updates- any time you take the car in for service at the dealership, software updates are free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My 2005 S60r is having a number of weird electrical gremlins. Since last week it won't start, there aren't any lights on the dash when I turn the key and nothing changes when I turn the key but the siren goes off constantly. Nothing will make the siren stop no matter what I do, I've tried everything in the manual and things people have suggested. The only thing I haven't pulled that people have mentioned is the CEM, mainly because I don't know where it is located. When I asked Ipd they said it probably needs a software update to take it to a dealer. Anyone have any idea before a go to a dealer and pay an arm and a leg to have it looked into?
First off, when you said the car wouldn't start last week, what were the symptoms? Did you get any error messages then? Dead battery, immobilizer triggered, bad CEM, wiring break, bad starter, bad connection to the starter, etc.- there are so many possibilities that you need to narrow this down significantly or you're not going to get anywhere.

Can you lock/unlock the car with the buttons on the key or do you actually have to use the lock cylinder? If you have an issue with the key, it's possible that your remote locking has gotten out of sync with the car- you need to consult the manual, but it's a combination of opening the door with the key, using the lock button on the door and using the buttons on your key to get it to re-sync. Also, if your key battery is dead, that can cause sync issues. It's a CR2032.

Look at the simplest causes first. Make sure your battery is in good condition and fully charged, and that you don't have a condition that is causing the battery to discharge (current draw, bad alternator, etc.).

FYI, the CEM is under the steering column in the driver's footwell. Unless you're an electronics expert, looking at the CEM will most likely not tell you anything- it's not something you can bench-test without specialized equipment.

As for software updates- any time you take the car in for service at the dealership, software updates are free.

It's hard to diagnose anything because the car is completely unresponsive, there's no indication on the dash that the car has any power except for the siren constantly blaring, last week when it did this the siren didn't come on. And when the car sat for a while it would have power again and turn on just fine. And when the car run it run with no warning lights. And five minute later and get in and turn the key and it like someone unplugged the battery. But I can hear the relays click and the trunk and footwell lights come on. It's so random and ever since the siren added itself to the mix the car hasn't "worked".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Might want to find someone local that has VIDA software and see if you get any fault codes that point you in the right direction. Sometimes the factory VIDA software will show pending faults or problems with a system that can be very helpful tracking down issues like this. The paperwork that came with my V70R shows the dealer disabled the alarm in my car but didn't state an exact fault with the system. Once I get my suspension working right this will be my next project as I would like to have a working alarm because I've had people attempt to get into my car in the past.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Remove the right front tire. Remove (possibly drill) the rivers that hold the plastic inner fender to the metal lip of the fender.

Pull the plastic out of the way and unplug the Alarm Siren Module.

Easiest fix I can think of without VIDA/DICE.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It's hard to diagnose anything because the car is completely unresponsive, there's no indication on the dash that the car has any power except for the siren constantly blaring, last week when it did this the siren didn't come on. And when the car sat for a while it would have power again and turn on just fine. And when the car run it run with no warning lights. And five minute later and get in and turn the key and it like someone unplugged the battery. But I can hear the relays click and the trunk and footwell lights come on. It's so random and ever since the siren added itself to the mix the car hasn't "worked".
Well then pull the fuse for the alarm, first, then let the siren battery run down, then see what's going on. Did you check your battery level?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Remove the right front tire. Remove (possibly drill) the rivers that hold the plastic inner fender to the metal lip of the fender.

Pull the plastic out of the way and unplug the Alarm Siren Module.

Easiest fix I can think of without VIDA/DICE.

This is what the notes that came with my car said the dealer did along with some sort of software reflash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts