SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Had some trouble with my stock stereo so I decided to install an aftermarket one, which ended up running fine. Since the stock volvo headunit has 2 connections of wires however, I failed to install the two dash speakers into the new stereo. I fear that I might have accidentally blew a fuse during this process, and so I checked in the box under the hood, and indeed the radio fuse needed replacing, and so I proceeded. After I replaced it however, I still had no power going into my stereo. From owning other cars, I'm sure there is another fuse attached to the constant v12 or another wire behind the dash somewhere, however I'm not sure where it may be. Does anyone know where it may be located? And if that extra fuse isn't there, does anyone have a clue as to what might have happened? Thanks.<br>1996 Volvo 850 N/A 5-speed

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you ever figure this out. The similar thing is happening with my 2006 v70.

Hey guys. Had some trouble with my stock stereo so I decided to install an aftermarket one, which ended up running fine. Since the stock volvo headunit has 2 connections of wires however, I failed to install the two dash speakers into the new stereo. I fear that I might have accidentally blew a fuse during this process, and so I checked in the box under the hood, and indeed the radio fuse needed replacing, and so I proceeded. After I replaced it however, I still had no power going into my stereo. From owning other cars, I'm sure there is another fuse attached to the constant v12 or another wire behind the dash somewhere, however I'm not sure where it may be. Does anyone know where it may be located? And if that extra fuse isn't there, does anyone have a clue as to what might have happened? Thanks.<br>1996 Volvo 850 N/A 5-speed

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No clue to be honest. I ended up feeding the wire a different way. Im assuming I must've fried something around the ignition for it to not respond when the key was turned.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
So it sounds like you elected to blow off the 6 bucks
for a harness adapter. They come prewired to deal with
all 8 speakers and would have saved you a pile of hassle.
And prevented the untoward hacking of your car's wiring.
It would have also given you both power leads, color matched.

There are indeed two feeds and two fuses for the radio.
If the old radio worked, you probably just blew fuse 31.
IMHO, it's always better to find and fix a problem than
kludge something in "just to make it work". Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mistapony
I'm having a prob with my stereo and power plugs to. A volt meter says I have 13 volts at the line going in but it won't turn on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
606 Posts
We need more info to be able to help. What is the year and model of the radio you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
6 Posts
2006v70 2.5t
Hu-650
The radio and power outlets started with a 1—2 sec flicker then got a little worse, now I have nothing. Checked the fuses all around can't find anything blowin. Got another unit from the wrecking yard and still dead. I'm wonder if it is the remote start for everything but the wouldn't control the outlets.

·
Registered
606 Posts
2006v70 2.5t
Hu-650
The radio and power outlets started with a 1—2 sec flicker then got a little worse, now I have nothing. Checked the fuses all around can't find anything blowin. Got another unit from the wrecking yard and still dead. I'm wonder if it is the remote start for everything but the wouldn't control the outlets.

In the late mode Volvos I have seen, the power is live to the unit and the "switch" is digital sent as data over the optical network. If by power outlet you are ferrying to the cigarette lighter socket, then I would start checking every fuse both in in the dash and engine area - some are well hidden. That is likely your problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
But is ther more than the owner manual shows in the v70 I have the engine, side of Dr dash, under driver dash by feet and in the rear drivers side.
And yes the cigarette lighter.
My serves gut said he can pull some code and read something from that?

·
Registered
606 Posts
But is ther more than the owner manual shows in the v70 I have the engine, side of Dr dash, under driver dash by feet and in the rear drivers side.
And yes the cigarette lighter.
My serves gut said he can pull some code and read something from that?

Sorry, don't have a v70 to provide the answer. However, if you are not getting voltage under load from the light socket there is a marginal fuse or a bad ground connection. If you have confirmed the fuses by swapping them, then I would bet it is a bad ground which could affect both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts