SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '86 240 is sporadically giving absolutely no power at the ignition switch. I had a non-Volvo techs shop install a new ignition switch and now it won't show any power on key at all. They are diagnosing the plug on the wiring harness is bad and the only way to change this out is replace the entire harness. I somewhat suspect something else was blown while they were in there like a fuse or ground of some kind.<br>Any suggestions or other diagnoses? Can I cut a plug out of an old harness from a parts car and splice it in here to avoid entire harness replacement?<br>

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: No power at ignition key (kodiakrain)

IF....... your electrical maladies are due to Sweedish Wire Insulation Crayonitis....... and that vintage Volvo seems very suspectible to this syndrome<p>you''ll be wailing and gnashing your teeth for many miles to come if you don't replace the harness....... if it's needed<p>I've seen and replaced more than I can count that you could scrape the insulation off the wires with your fingernails<p>I'd recommend a proper diagnosis before considering any bandaids

·
Registered
636 Posts
Did they replace the electrical socket on the back side of where you put your key in? The switch that turns into a male plug. That seems to have been a malady in the past for the older 240s.<p>Too re-wire the car is a task and a half. I have done this my self.<p>Username is right about the insulation being not that grate, it dry rots, cracks and will get stiff inside the engine compartment due to heat. <p>There is a wireloom that goes through the firewall some where between the master cyl and the fender (if I remember correctly ) You may want to probe the red wire on the ignition switch and ground the clip ( on a test light) and have some one move that loom in the engine side of the firewall to see of the light flickers. If so you may have to replace the wire harness inside the engine comparment or the whole kit and caboodle. ( just replacing the component will likely cause a failure in the older wires ).<p>Just some thoughts. I replaced my 80 242 with an 83 242 to update my electrical system after shorting out the emergency light circuit. I fried it after installing two wires on a different insterment cluster.<p>Just some thoughts on this.<p>Username is 100% correct....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (DVolvoguy777)

Thanks, and yes, they did replace the switch that turns into a male plug, first. I even tried another one to be sure. The socket that plugs into the switch is what I am wondering about . is that included in a new wiring harness found in a parts catalog? I've seen pictures of the wiring harness online and it looks like the interior wiring under the dash is not part of this, so I was thinking of trying to just replace that plug alone. As username suggests about insulation and due to the age of the car and the history of these as a weak point i am figuring on replacing the wiring harness next. Hoping not to have to rewire the entire car. Thanks for testing details<br>

·
Registered
636 Posts
It would be best to get a new harness as it will not be brittle. At any rate I think that the loom that runs down the steering column merges into the wireloom that goes through the fire wall. If it does you may have to replace the complete under dash harness.<p>Did you check the pesky wire that goes between the alternator and the engine block? I think that could cause issues with ignition as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts