SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm driving home from work yesterday in my 05 V50 T5 AWD.
Suddenly the car just stops and coasts to the shoulder. I'm stunned
as I've had this car for 7 years / 97,000 virtually trouble free miles.
(Actually I bought is as a CPO car with 9000 miles on it; but you get the point).

Long story short. I just heard the timing belt broke!!!! :facepalm:
I asked the dealer where I service to the car to request that Volvo cover
part or all of the repair seeing the belt failed 23,000 miles and 3 years early.
(The change interval for the belt is 120,000 or 10 years). Obviously I'm a year
out of the 6yr/1000,000 warranty but the belt didn't even come close to the service interval.

Has anyone ever heard of Volvo doing something like this? I buddy had a transmission fail
out of warranty but under 100,000 miles on his Honda and Honda covered the new tranny but he paid labor. He was thrilled that they stepped up like that. Seeing I've bought three Volvos in the last 10 years and have had them all impeccably maintained, I'm hoping to have a similar experience.

If not I'm guessing I'd be looking at $5k - $7k for a complete tear down and rebuild or a new engine.
Would that be correct.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
*Gulp* my '05 V50 T5 AWD has 95.5K on it and original belt... Now you've got me worried!

Please let us know how you come out in regards to getting Volvo to assist in the costs. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
uggggghhhhhhh. start with dealer. if they stonewall you - call volvo NAHQ.
i really hope they at least can split the difference.
i think a rebuild would be less than $5k but idk.....

with your ownership history hopefully volvo will make it right.

man, these timing belt horror stories always seem to hit on Friday.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'd be shocked if the dealer's service department doesn't go to bat for me.
I've come to have a very good customer/service relationship. I and all other owners
always received top notch treatment. However, I've gone out of the way to point out to the service manager
what an exceptional crew and operation he has. I came to really apprieceate it after having the polar opposite
service experience with my Audi I previously owned. The service reps were down right rude and insulting. The
manager never wanted to hear about it or make time for you. Several times I called Audi USA to complain and told
them I was jumping ship for BMW or Volvo.

Anyway I've digressed. I'm hoping to hear from the dealer on Monday as they said they started assessing the damage yesterday and would report it to Volvo USA as soon as they knew the full extent.

Fingers crossed.

M

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
So sorry mate! Keep us posted! I'm at 92k and am starting to think about changing my timing belt...

Sorry for the thread jack... but... What's a decent Indy shop price for a TB change?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
not sure what the book time is on it but i had a volvo tech do it as a side job for $400.

·
Registered
658 Posts
See my sig.

In the back of my mind, I think these belts should be done earlier. Depends on the user of course, but I have to question the timing belt manufacturer and the quality of this belt, and whether certain cars got different belts (even within the same year).

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
whats the deal with the viva kevlar belt? does that last longer?

·
Registered
207 Posts
That sucks big time! That is the worst nightmare. I'll hope you can get it fixed for a good price.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, I hate to chime in, but I doubt they will do anything. The 05 S40 I am working on for the last 6 weeks or so, broke the belt at 106..Volvo's answer to the original owner was "oh well". Way too many of these breaking early..I would do them at 80k at the most. You will need a rebuilt head or rebuild yours. If you do the work yourself, figure about $1000 for parts and special tools. Just my $.02..Rich

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The problem is usually an aux belt taking out the timing belt....

and good luck getting Volvo to pay for it if you are out of warranty....sorry :(

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
That sucks, I hope you get a little help on this. 10 years or 120,000 miles seems like pushing it. I changed mine at 7 1/2 years and 38k only because cams were being changed and it was an easy time to change timing belt and aux. belt. Labor was already paid for in the cams swap, all I paid extra was for the belts. That's way overkill, but since they were already in there and had the old belt off, why not swap it out early?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Looking forward to the response from Volvo. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I'd be shocked if the dealer's service department doesn't go to bat for me.
I've come to have a very good customer/service relationship. I and all other owners
always received top notch treatment. However, I've gone out of the way to point out to the service manager
what an exceptional crew and operation he has. I came to really appreciate it after having the polar opposite
service experience with my Audi I previously owned. The service reps were down right rude and insulting. The
manager never wanted to hear about it or make time for you. Several times I called Audi USA to complain and told
them I was jumping ship for BMW or Volvo. Anyway I've digressed. I'm hoping to hear from the dealer on Monday as
they said they started assessing the damage yesterday and would report it to Volvo USA as soon as they knew the full extent.

Fingers crossed.

M
Ouch : :eek:

Hopefully a Compression Check done the correct way , shows only a few slightly bent Valves , and those can be had - Viva for $20.00 a pc. , the Intakes are Larger seems like those would be doing
the Hitting First , It depends on How many Rev's You were Turning and how Hot the Motor was ( Exhaust Valves being Hotter ) might bend easier .
Wish Volvo would Go over to - Valves that were Fired by Wire as it seems anything going wrong with the Motor the Valves would just - Stay Closed !

Hope You get some : Customer Courtesy and They do a - RR Head Job ! ( $2800.00 ) approx .

I'm @ 6 yrs. and around 64K , but I'm starting to think 8 Yrs. is Enough Period - What - ever miles are on it - It's being changed .

·
Registered
658 Posts
whats the deal with the viva kevlar belt? does that last longer?
Well, I wasn't looking for a belt "lasting longer", like 120K+, but more like...My OE Volvo Timing Belt is utter-F'in crap so I'm replacing it with something else that will take the torque kind of belt. Could be wrong but why replace these belts with the same brand when everyone has had issues. I'll be replacing this belt in 60-75K, anyway.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
There has been some back and forth on the Blue Belt , some it's way better , others say it's is Only very Marginally better .

Others have Noted that it is also - how long the belt has been laying around - like old Tires , the Treads could look great , but If there 6 yrs. old already
and You threw on Your Motor - what might happen . I Believe there has been started some sort of Time Dating - Process . :beer:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wow that sucks! Glad I saw this thread though. I just bought an 06 V50 on saturday with 77k miles on it. Was wondering what the change interval was on it. Guess I'll be changing it by 90k at the latest. Kinda sucks they use an interference fit engine on these. I'm used to Isuzu 3.2s which are none interference fit.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Well, I wasn't looking for a belt "lasting longer", like 120K+, but more like...My OE Volvo Timing Belt is utter-F'in crap so I'm replacing it with something else that will take the torque kind of belt. Could be wrong but why replace these belts with the same brand when everyone has had issues.
good point. actually....excellent point.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts