SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my 07 V70, it had a wet, oily mess around the power steering pump shaft. Last summer I replaced the fluid and early last fall I cleaned up the mess when I replaced the alternator. Looking around this spring, I don't see any sign of a power steering fluid leak around the pump shaft. Did just replacing the fluid eliminate the leak? The old fluid was probably original, hence probably suffered from viscosity breakdown, possibly causing it to leak.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Possibly the new viscosity oil helped but my experience is those clamps on that "S" shaped hose need to be right... and by that i mean hose degradation has to be dealt with(cut off 1/2 inch or so) and good hose clamps.. rounded edges if possible and darn tight. You probably addressed all those areas without even knowing they were a problem.
I didn't know that the power steering builds pressure in the reservoir tank until recently and that pressure will push oil out at any point where hoses are clamped incorrectly.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Never touched the clamps or the hoses.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Mine has been weeping on/off for years, new fluid makes no difference. Not enough to warrant a new pump, but just enough to be annoying.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine has been weeping on/off for years, new fluid makes no difference. Not enough to warrant a new pump, but just enough to be annoying.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
Yes, that pretty much sums it up. I have the part number off the seal. Just haven't found one outside of the EU yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just curious then...How did you change the fluid without removing any hose clamps?

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
If the '07 V70's pump becomes noisy over a period of only a few days with no impact felt in steering, is it indicative of imminent failure, or will it just continue as a noisy pump? I was thinking of letting it make noise for another 5,000 miles 'til the next service.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious then...How did you change the fluid without removing any hose clamps?
Removed them at the reservoir end.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the '07 V70's pump becomes noisy over a period of only a few days with no impact felt in steering, is it indicative of imminent failure, or will it just continue as a noisy pump? I was thinking of letting it make noise for another 5,000 miles 'til the next service.
If it's making noise, it could be spreading contaminated fluid through the power steering system. How much crap do you want to circulate around?

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
If it's making noise, it could be spreading contaminated fluid through the power steering system. How much crap do you want to circulate around?
Well, that ship has sailed, since the car had been driven for three days before it was brought to my attention.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that ship has sailed, since the car had been driven for three days before it was brought to my attention.
You're still in for a power steering flush at this point. As long as the pump doesn't grenade itself, which is rare, there shouldn't be too much collateral damage.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You're still in for a power steering flush at this point. As long as the pump doesn't grenade itself, which is rare, there shouldn't be too much collateral damage.
What PS fluid these cars take? The book says ATF, but I've seen some people say the book is wrong on certain cars.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What PS fluid these cars take? The book says ATF, but I've seen some people say the book is wrong on certain cars.
I used the Pentosin CHF202, which is for 2002+. For 1998-2001 it's Pentosin CHF11S.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
Never mind. After I flushed the power steering fluid with no improvement, and before I ordered any parts, I bought a stethoscope and determined the noise was more likely coming from the alternator. This was confirmed by removing the serpentine belt and spinning the decoupler pulley, which was rough.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It's backwards compatible...
Thanks for info both of you, I topped it off with the 3309 Aisin ATF but when I do my coolant/brake flush sometime in the next year, I'll make sure to do PS with the CHF11S as well (it's a 2001).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts