SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free :thumbdown:

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

I HAVE NO MORE INFORMATION, DONT ASK!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free :thumbdown:

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

I HAVE NO MORE INFORMATION, DONT ASK!!
Is there an easy way to tell if we already have the latest Updates applied? You would think they would just let these updates be OTA at this point, being that they were free to begin with! Especially since we can update everything else from the Sensus Display and a USB Flash Drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, the Volvo Car USA Support site still indicates that software updates are complimentary, just like it did when I leased my S60 on June 1. That section was last revised in April 2018 and does not even include any boilerplate language like "...Volvo reserves the right to change this policy/feature at any time" so as far as I'm concerned it is part of my S60 as much as the steering wheel is: https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9218/

This type of benefit may well have been a reason one went with a Volvo rather than a competing brand in the same way the "free maintenance" is a benefit that distinguishes it from other brands (though now it's more like every luxury brand has to include it to be competitive). If I brought the car in for an oil change and they told me that "Volvo eliminated that benefit so that will be $250 please!" At the very least it should be grandfathered as a benefit for any new Volvo acquired before this announcement (was this a TSB?). It's not going to be ok with me if they try to charge me for updates in the future...but I'm also glad mine was fully updated last week when I had it in for a new window regulator.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Are software updates considered necessary? Would these be performed free of charge under warranty coverage?

·
Registered
282 Posts
My Service Adviser tells me he is unaware of any plan to end complimentary software updates during service visits.

I suggest owners contact their dealers to confirm.

Volvo and dealerships have every right to discontinue providing complimentary software updates during service visits, but only for future buyers. Discontinuing it for current owners to whom it was offered would be no different than informing them that they now only have a thirty day warranty.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
My Service Adviser tells me he is unaware of any plan to end complimentary software updates during service visits.

I suggest owners contact their dealers to confirm.

Volvo and dealerships have every right to discontinue providing complimentary software updates during service visits, but only for future buyers. Discontinuing it for current owners to whom it was offered would be no different than informing them that they now only have a thirty day warranty.
Him being unaware simply means he has not read the announcement. I don't know what's benefit gunshow and I would have to lie about this, but we aren't.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I reached out to my dealer, Ferman Volvo in Tarpon Springs FL, and they stated it will be business as usual for customers and the regular updates. He did not deny there was such an announcement, so my guess so like so many others it will be dealer to dealer on how they address it. Thanks for keeping us up to date Tech!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
It will certainly be dealer to dealer. The announcement specifically says "if you would like to continue to offer the updates to customers, we will still be offering it at $0.01". So the dealer of course has the option to provide it, but not the obligation. And they have to figure out who does it and how they will (or won't) be paid.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
The thread about this in the XC90 forum was the most active, so if you have questions, check there. But I'll update this one as well.

As of today, Volvo has a new policy for the Service 2.0 software update.

Program Eligibility & Parameters

· Dealers must have VIDA Wi-Fi installed to be eligible for reimbursement.

· The program will be effective from November 1, 2019 – December 31, 2020.

· Service 2.0 must be performed with a scheduled maintenance service .

· Reimbursement is for labor only, software is delivered at no charge.

· Retailers will be reimbursed for ONE Service 2.0 software update per vehicle within a 12 month period.

· Punch time is not required for software downloads and Factory Scheduled Maintenance claims.

· Service 2.0 is only applicable to SPA and CMA vehicles. (P3 vehicles are excluded)

· Can be performed 1 time during the course of the program when performing a scheduled maintenance service.

· Vehicle inquiry must be checked prior to performing to confirm vehicle eligibility.

· Software 2.0 is not claimable with a workshop visit performed as a result of a customer complaint and/or when a total upgrade is claimed to address a customer concern.

· Service 2.0 does not replace PDS Software and cannot be claimed prior to the customer taking new car delivery.

· Service 2.0 can be installed during the reconditioning/inspection process outlined within the Certified by Volvo program guidelines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts