SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free :thumbdown:

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

Do NOT ASK ME WHY.... I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ELSE!!

I recommend writing Volvo Cars USA and express your concern/anger/disappointment as I feel the same as you

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hopefully this does not apply to Volvo Canada.

I know at my local dealership, there are a few large poster in the Service Department listing services offered during the annual maintenance visits - and Free Software Updates is listed there. If it does apply to Canada - looks like they will need to redo all of their marketing material and these posters.....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Wow, just wow. Not a customer first move by breaking promises.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
My response from the XC90 post about this, before I saw it in several areas...

If less than half the cars are updated, I suspect this is a failure on VCUSA to push this down the pipe toward dealers.

Again, the VCUSA dealer network seems ... at best ... half-arsed. (No offense to the good techs posting or reading here). I've got like 5 dealers in my area. Every single one of them suck for various reasons and I'm left with opting for the best of the worst.

However, I am seeing one of them start to shine again.

That said, the issue is this is a failure on the part of VCUSA to make the Volvo brand better.

I don't know what the software was like prior to the recent major update (on my 2019 XC60) but I can say that it isn't bad at all. We've seen Doug Demuro comment about the software being really good recently (S60 Pole* review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQzEKHI2Tw ).

Did this go to their head and give them pause about software updates?

The logic seems... to be lost here.

Color me confused. :confused:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully this does not apply to Volvo Canada.

I know at my local dealership, there are a few large poster in the Service Department listing services offered during the annual maintenance visits - and Free Software Updates is listed there. If it does apply to Canada - looks like they will need to redo all of their marketing material and these posters.....
This applies to Volvo North America... I assume entire world/company worldwide.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Idiotic move by Volvo.

Good companies are able to understand that there is real value in customers being happier with better performing (and safer) vehicles.

The logic seems... to be lost here.
I imagine the only attempt at logic here is "saving" money.

I recommend writing Volvo Cars USA and express your concern/anger/disappointment as I feel the same as you
Precisely what I have done.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don’t understand, so how am I supposed to get software upgrades going forward? Pay for them as an entirely separate item?

·
Registered
417 Posts
As far as I'm concerned this was part of what I purchased and isn't an optional 'complementary service'. It's like the 10k services. I for one will fight to continue to get what was part of my purchase. Is there a place that it is documented that this was part of the previous policy. If it's online we need to save it so it doesn't just disappear and we have nothing to point to in writing.

If Volvo chooses to eliminate free updates for new purchases moving forward that's their prerogative but is very short sighted and would have made me about twice about my purchase. Service revenue over customer satisfaction and safety is a losing business model in the long term in my book.

Also, I would have thought that having the Volvo fleet on the same software version would save Volvo time and money for under warranty fixes but I guess the idea is they plan on trying to pass these costs on to their loyal customers.

Also, the fundemental business model between Volvo corporate, dealers and service techs needs revamping. That's partly what Tesla has/is doing.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If Volvo chooses to eliminate free updates for new purchases moving forward that's their prerogative but is very short sighted and would have made me about twice about my purchase.
I agree. Do not break/remove a 5 year promise for current customers.

·
Registered
684 Posts
After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill.
There may not be that much upside, but I can guarantee that there will be a substantial downside to this move.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
There may not be that much upside, but I can guarantee that there will be a substantial downside to this move.
What I would like to know from Volvo is what research went into this decision. We own an 18 and and a 19 Volvo and I have never received a questionnaire, phone call, email or text asking me if I was either satisfied or not satisfied with any related software updates. How can they make a statement that there is no upside if they don't ask their customers. As other have said this is backward logic. If they think there is no upside just wait until Volvo dealers start telling customers they have to pay for software updates to fix problems. A firestorm will ensue and as typical Volvo they will back track. We are on our 10th Volvo since 2001. Crap like this is what makes me think our next purchase may be something else. ARGH!

·
Registered
997 Posts
This like Apple telling you no more free OS updates. If this is true I'm cancelling my order and not buying any more Volvos. BAD idiotic move! This tells you all you need to know about this company.

·
Registered
687 Posts
this is not the company i've bought my several volvos from.
when companies like tesla upgrade the firmware for free and wherever the car finds a secure network connection, for volvo corporate to blindly say their dealers haven't been doing their job in keeping our cars up to date and safe so the answer is to start charging for it. that just means fewer owners will have the updates.
it's corporate think.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
BTW, I think we should thank Tech and gunshow for their communication here.

Regardless of the message, many of us appreciate the communication that's happening.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No mention of it on Volvo Canada's webpage or in press releases... yet.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I cant make it more clear.... its released on our internal website portal. You can be skeptical but its fact.

This like Apple telling you no more free OS updates. If this is true I'm cancelling my order and not buying any more Volvos. BAD idiotic move! This tells you all you need to know about this company.
I recommend emailing Volvo and telling them this. You will be cancelling your order if you are serious.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No mention of it on Volvo Canada's webpage or in press releases... yet.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Volvo’s Service 2.0 is the package that we offer to our customers as a complimentary enhancement when they service their Volvo. Service 2.0 consists of the same software that can be found in our PDS or Total Upgrade software. This was developed as a no cost tool to create a differentiator from the independent workshops. Due to low installation of Service 2.0 it was determined in March 2018 Customer Service would compensate dealers in the U.S. for their labor to grow installation rates in an effort to increase customer retention and lower warranty expense for Volvo Cars USA.

However, after careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm sure the fundamental logic here and the bigger upside for dealers is that the fewer cars that have the latest software the greater the apportunity for dealers to scam their customers not just for the software updates but for other services. If a customer has a problem they have to come in and get upsold vs having things proactively addressed thru regular updates. Definitely a dinosaur business model and not one to promote custom satisfaction and loyalty.

Volvo is undermining its fundamental company reputation for safety, quality and loyal customers. Well done Volvo!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
My dealer just did the right thing and just told me they will be offering free updates to their customers when in for service. Only problem is if I move out of that area...

"after careful analysis VCUSA", ... whoever did that analysis should be run out of the auto industry entirely!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My dealer just did the right thing and just told me they will be offering free updates to their customers when in for service. Only problem is if I move out of that area...

"after careful analysis VCUSA", ... whoever did that analysis should be run out of the auto industry entirely!
That is a good dealer and may be paying their techs internally to perform the updates.

Due to the gamble of SW crashes and cars going "upside" down, I/we will not be doing anything for free.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts