SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free :thumbdown:

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

Please DO NOT ASK WHY/HOW. I DO NOT KNOW ANYMORE SPECIFICS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free :thumbdown:

So now we have two things to look forward to:

1. Our oil changes just got more expensive (now who knows how much they will charge for software updates)

2. We can tear up the Service by Volvo Umbrella, because they will change whatever they want at any time. I hope people are grandfathered in.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Where does it say oil change cost increase?

LOL ..... it doesn't!

Right now the free software updates are done when you go in for regular maintenance service, such as an oil change. Apparently after Aug 1st, you can add the cost any software updates to the regular service.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't spread misinformation. It was never free with an oil change.
worth repeating.
Copied and pasted from other thread (May 2019 Software update notes ....)

I use CarPlay with my iPhone everyday in my xc40.
Would it be appropriate to schedule a software update with the dealership based on this software update?

@Gunshow:- Software is ONLY updated during a regular service (10k-20k-30k-ect) or a repair that warrants the update.
A dealership usually wont just update it because you ask.

Me:- Is it true that once the warranty has expired Volvo will charge you for updates?!
@Tech:- Yes. Unless you are having your maintenance service performed (50k, 60k, 70k, etc).

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Copied and pasted from other thread (May 2019 Software update notes ....)

I use CarPlay with my iPhone everyday in my xc40.
Would it be appropriate to schedule a software update with the dealership based on this software update?

@Gunshow:- Software is ONLY updated during a regular service (10k-20k-30k-ect) or a repair that warrants the update.
A dealership usually wont just update it because you ask.

Me:- Is it true that once the warranty has expired Volvo will charge you for updates?!
@Tech:- Yes. Unless you are having your maintenance service performed (50k, 60k, 70k, etc).
I dont really need to respond to such stupidity but I will.

Oil changes does not equal service.

10k/20k/30k no equal oil change

oil change not same thing as a yearly maintenance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
really? are we playing with words now? Cuz every receipt from every car maintenance I EVER got, including a simple oil change says: "Service done" and then lists parts and labor for everything that was done.

If I misquoted or misunderstood something then just say so. You don't need to call people stupid.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I would imagine that newly purchased vehicles, as well as those that are still in factory warranty, would still receive the software updates upon factory scheduled services. If not I foresee numerous lawsuits in the future.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
really? are we playing with words now? Cuz every receipt from every car maintenance I EVER got, including a simple oil change says: "Service done" and then lists parts and labor for everything that was done.

If I misquoted or misunderstood something then just say so. You don't need to call people stupid.
Get a price for an oil change. And get a price for a service. They are not the same. Software was never free with oil changes.

I would imagine that newly purchased vehicles, as well as those that are still in factory warranty, would still receive the software updates upon factory scheduled services. If not I foresee numerous lawsuits in the future.
Nope. Because Volvo isn't paying us for them. I wish there wasn't 5 threads about this. I explain it in the one in the XC90 forum.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My XC40 works great right now, I’ve recieved software updates in the year I’ve owned it, but besides my Dynamic mode changing to Polestar, I haven’t noticed any changes.

If you don’t get software updates, what happens to the car?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My XC40 works great right now, I’ve recieved software updates in the year I’ve owned it, but besides my Dynamic mode changing to Polestar, I haven’t noticed any changes.

Did you get that last software update as a stand alone issue or along with a service call?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Did you get that last software update as a stand alone issue or along with a service call?
I thought the last update was part of a recall. My vehicle was in to replace the center armrest under warranty and they did the update.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Was the Armrest due to noises?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
Yes, it creaked if I put my arm on it. It took a couple of tries to fix it, but the problem was that every time they adjusted it so the creaks went away the armrest would slowly go back out of alighnment. Replacing the armrest has worked perfectly.

·
Registered
46 Posts

The Polestar optimization upgrade is not the same as software updates.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription, 2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country T5
93 Posts
The Polestar optimization upgrade is not the same as software updates.
Correct, what he meant was that with the software update in May, the drive mode "dynamic" was renamed "Polestar" in the vehicle if you have the polestar optimization.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts