SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here hoping someone can help. AC started dying a few weeks ago when it would work fine in the morning when cooler but at noon or going home when warmer it would work a few minutes and quit. Warmer it got worse it was and compressor was clicking a lot like it was trying to engage. Had the system checked and everything checked out, good levels and pressure with no leaks. Then it would not work mornings until I drove for 10-15 minutes and would work the rest of the day until the last couple days when it would not kick in at all. One thing I noticed is the outside temp on the dash had always read a little low, but since this started it has been farther off. Today was close to 90 out and it never read over 17. Could that sensor be telling the system it is too cold out and it doesn't need the AC? Looks like a new compressor may be in my future since the gap measures ok for what I have read here. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I can't vouch for it. But I heard something similar happens concerning the shims on the AC Compressor's pulley. I read people using zip ties to compensate for it.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the zip tie fix and had my mechanic I fully trust check the gap and he said it was within the range I saw in the posts. Just out at noon temp on dash read 11 with no air after driving ten minutes it was up to 37 and AC was blowing ice cold. Sat a bit got back in at 16 with no AC got back around 30 and blowing cold again.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Well 37C is pretty warm. Are you sure its displaying in Fahrenheit not Celsius? Where are you?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I saw the zip tie fix and had my mechanic I fully trust check the gap and he said it was within the range I saw in the posts. Just out at noon temp on dash read 11 with no air after driving ten minutes it was up to 37 and AC was blowing ice cold. Sat a bit got back in at 16 with no AC got back around 30 and blowing cold again.
The gap varies. reread the thread.

"Compressor clutch is electro magnetic and gets weak with age. Some times you can shim it a bit to reduce the space that the has to be closed by the electro magnet and it will continue working for a long time "

There's no set gap. Over time the magnet will get weaker and it won't be able to connect like it should. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

Do it with a bread tie and test it. it's easily reversible if you don't want to do the zip tie.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just a heads up, the bread tix fix works on the 850/x70 series compressor. They are different than the P2's which work best with zip-ties.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't checked back in a while but it seems like the ambient air sensor is throwing things off. It will only read 9-12 F with no ac until it rains or gets washed. Then it will read in the 50-60 range and ac will come on around 30 and work fine for a few days. I know the sensor is not expensive and I am willing to buy one to try but have not found an answer on which mirror it is in. Some say drivers side and some say passenger. Anyone know for sure?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts