SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

No Loaner cars for dealer service?

13K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  sol 
#1 ·
I was supposed to take my 2005 XC90 V8 in today for warranty work on my front park sensors. They said the repair would take 4-5 hours and arranged a loaner car for me as they have done for all services since I bought the car from them in Oct 2005. It now has about 45K on it. They called my yesterday and said Volvo had canceled the Volvo loaner program and they no longer provided loaner cars. The Volvo dealer is about 45 minutes from me and it is a major pain to have my wife drive me there and then drive back the next day and have only one vehicle for a day. The dealer told me when I bought the vehicle that they provided loaners for service. Is the dealer trying to pull a change or did Volvo corporate really change the rules? I called my salesperson today and said I probably wouldn't buy another Volvo if they didn't provide loaner vehicles due to the major pain of getting to the dealer. She is going to talk to the owner tomorrow. I love the car and have had no major problems with it. The dealer is a combo Volvo/BMW dealer and they are still providing loaners for BMW. Has Volvo fallen futher down the food (car) chain? I was thinking of buying an XC60 down the road when I didn't need the size/seating of the XC90.
Comments?
Em

#2 ·
one of our local volvo dealer charges $130 for 7500 mile regular service. loaner car available for $60.

another volvo dealer a few miles into town charges $200 for the same service.

Its all a matter of perspective, imho. BMW, Lexus, Infinity, Benz's provide loaners because they probably charged for it some other way..

#3 ·
Re: No Loaner cars for dealer service? (em xc90 v8)

Volvo of Calabasas generally does not provide loaners. They pay for Enterprise rental during major services and warranty repairs.
I was able to get a loaner a couple of times, when no rental was readily available.
It was different 5-6 years ago, when getting loaner would not be an issue. It seems that the policy has changed franchise-wide.

#5 ·
Re: No Loaner cars for dealer service? (gascos80)

If one books in advance (usually a week), Boston Volvo provides new Volvo loaners free of charge, which I have found to be a huge rarity. My Mercedes dealership uses Enterprise and they charge for it (and sometimes only have A to B econo boxes).

I think I read this here but I could be wrong: VCNA allocates loaner cars to its dealerships based on sales and service volume as well as customer surveys. I used a Volvo dealer in NY that had no loaner cars and I never received a survey from them. Each time I get back from going to Boston Volvo, there is an email survey from VCNA in my inbox.

#6 ·
Re: No Loaner cars for dealer service? (Cabot)

We provide loaners, unless they are all loaned out.

#7 ·
Wow...this is disappointing to hear. I am currently on my second Acura from my local dealer, and I can get a loaner car any time I need. I have even requested particular vehicles (i.e. the new RDX when it first came out) as loaners and they have always complied.

#8 ·
Re: No Loaner cars for dealer service? (em xc90 v8)

Most of the dealerships in my area will provide a loaner with advance notice. They do encourage folks to wait for simple maintenance (oil changes). One dealership keeps loaners for folks who bought the car from them, but they loosen that up a bit after you've done some service visits with them.

#10 ·
Beasley Volvo is still providing loaners (as of last week, at least).

I had a nice, black C30. They even apologized because it was a bit dirty.

If Volvo stops providing loaners I wouldn't likely buy/lease another.

#13 ·
Superior Volvo here in KC still gives out loaners. They did change policy where you have to pay $9 now instead of filling it up with gas upon returning it. Although I think I've had 6 loaners or so and they've only actually charged me the $9 once, they are pretty nice.

They do it to promote the other cars in the lineup. I ended up purchasing a XC90 Sport largely due to driving another 90 and liking it so much. When I told my service adviser that, he told me that was exactly the reason they continue the loaner program.

#14 ·
Re: (dmd)

Quote, originally posted by dmd »

Getting a loaner is nice, but it isnt a factor for purchasing one vehicle over another.

IMHO I believe it's a major factor. This easily determines if you can get to work or not after dropping off your car. Sure, you can take public transportation, but you certainly would be late. Who wants to wait 4-5 hrs. or longer at a volvo dealer? I guess I should take a vacation day each time my car needs service.

Looks like Stillman Volvo still has the best service, too bad it's too far me now.

#16 ·
Re: (reinnie)

Quote, originally posted by reinnie »

IMHO I believe it's a major factor. This easily determines if you can get to work or not after dropping off your car. Sure, you can take public transportation, but you certainly would be late. Who wants to wait 4-5 hrs. or longer at a volvo dealer? I guess I should take a vacation day each time my car needs service.

Looks like Stillman Volvo still has the best service, too bad it's too far me now.

An interesting twist, but not having a loaner and providing random rental cars is the best advertisement for Volvo in my opinion. I crave my S80 so much, when I drive a Corolla or Caliber, or even Camry to/from work on the day of my service.

Calabasas Volvo has an Enterprise desk right at the service lobby, so getting a rental takes just as much time as getting a loaner, and the low-end rentals or "daily specials" are free and reimbursed by the dealer.

#17 ·

So you would buy a KIA if they had a loaner over your Volvo?

No, but I would totally drive a Kia loaner! I don't care if it's a Malibu or an S80, I like to drive myself to work. I've ridden (and waited for) enough dealer shuttles in my time to know that I'm not going back.

Let me put it another way; canceling the loaner program won't make me trade my current Volvo but I wouldn't be considering a new one either. If Lexus is the last manufacturer providing a car to get me to work when mine is in the shop then I'm driving a Lexus (possibly two).

#18 ·
Re: (nat_tex)

Quote, originally posted by nat_tex »

No, but I would totally drive a Kia loaner! I don't care if it's a Malibu or an S80, I like to drive myself to work. I've ridden (and waited for) enough dealer shuttles in my time to know that I'm not going back.

Let me put it another way; canceling the loaner program won't make me trade my current Volvo but I wouldn't be considering a new one either. If Lexus is the last manufacturer providing a car to get me to work when mine is in the shop then I'm driving a Lexus (possibly two).

My understanding is that when and where loaners are not available, V dealer reimburses the rentals for scheduled maintenance and warranty repairs.

So, it not the dillema - la oaner or a bus, but rather - an S40 or a Ford Focus.

#19 ·

Just get a rental car at the place, it isnt that difficult and doesnt need to be.

What I'm finding is some dealers don't even have any rental, even if I want to pay for it.

So you would buy a KIA if they had a loaner over your Volvo?

sorry, but that's a very bad comparison. If I'm paying over $50k, the dealer should provide another way of transportation during service.

and to answer your question, no I would not buy a KIA, but a MB or BMW which still provides loaner, regardless of what brand loaner (just give me a freaking car for me to get to work!).

#20 ·
Re: (gascos80)

Quote, originally posted by gascos80 »

An interesting twist, but not having a loaner and providing random rental cars is the best advertisement for Volvo in my opinion. I crave my S80 so much, when I drive a Corolla or Caliber, or even Camry to/from work on the day of my service.

Agree, I also crave my car while it's in service, but hey it's only a few hours on the Corolla, Explorer, etc.

#22 ·
Re: (Pinstripe)

Weiss Brentwood Volvo in ST Louis still provides a loaner car and it is marked on the Service/bill that it is Volvo who pays for it.

This is the case as of last week, but my car is till under factory warranty and I was doing the 30,000 check.

#23 ·
Re: (reinnie)

Quote, originally posted by reinnie »

Always been like that. I have known of quite a few MD Volvo owners who made the trek to West Chester...

#25 ·
Re: (gascos80)

I expect nothing for a loaner, never have especially in a large met area.

I try to see if I can bring my car in when they have a loaner at the dealership that gives out loaners.

At the other one, they have an onsite rental car rep, if they run out of cars and they promised me one, they cough up the dough.

If I come in without a loaner that was promised, I rent one cheap from the same onsite person

All I care is that I have a driveable car when I leave mine for service visits

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.