SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 XC60 T8. I almost always drive in EV mode.
Winter has started and I find I have no heat at all when in EV Mode (Pure or Hybrid). Heat works fine in any ICE mode.
I took it the dealer today and was told that the system is designed to NOT have heat in EV mode! Is that possible? Last winter, as I recall, it worked fine. They suggested that a software update installed last May might have changed the ability to have heat EV mode. This sounds very fishy to me.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Were you able to turn on parking climate and get warm air after 10 minutes while plugged-in?
If it fails, ask dealer to check the High Voltage Coolant Heater.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I have a 2020 XC60 T8. I almost always drive in EV mode.
Winter has started and I find I have no heat at all when in EV Mode (Pure or Hybrid). Heat works fine in any ICE mode.
I took it the dealer today and was told that the system is designed to NOT have heat in EV mode! Is that possible? Last winter, as I recall, it worked fine. They suggested that a software update installed last May might have changed the ability to have heat EV mode. This sounds very fishy to me.
Any thoughts?
Do not expect sufficient heat in PURE mode as that mode conserves electrical charge for driving - not heating.

You may create an Individual Mode with PURE that is set to use the additional (electric) heater in US and some other markets.

If you are using HYBRID mode with EV in use, are you getting any heat in the cabin? If not, your HVCH may be bad or failed. According to my dealer's techs, the T8 does not throw a typical error code through the OBD2 port. I cannot independently verify this and maybe others can.

Regardless, I have replaced my HVCH three times (all under warranty) over five years.

My suggestion is to make an appointment with your the dealer since your additional heater setting has been "on". Just verify that you test for heat in Hybrid mode.

Good luck.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The app shows it ON but the console display shows "Parking Climate temporarily unavailable".
Oh, then your HVCH (Fusion mentioned) is malfunctioning and won't provide electric heat when ICE isn't warm. Next failure - on-board charger.

Take it to your dealer for repair and mention the error message ("Parking Climate temporarily unavailable").

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the excellent and timely responses.

I did get a call from my dealer who decided, after checking with Volvo, that we need to "investigate" further, . Unfortunately, I am about 70 miles from the dealer and it may be a while before I can get it in again.

I had already mentioned a defective HVCH but they disregarded everything I told them. They kept assuming it was either operator error or designed that way.

I'll post again when (and if) it gets fixed.

Thanks again

Bob

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I had already mentioned a defective HVCH but they disregarded everything I told them. They kept assuming it was either operator error or designed that way.
My T8 had the first HVCH failure my dealer has seen too.

Be persistent and ask them to verify parking climate/preconditioning (heat) works. It will fail within 5 mins after requesting preconditoning from VOC app and display the above error on the console.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Thank you all for the excellent and timely responses.

I did get a call from my dealer who decided, after checking with Volvo, that we need to "investigate" further, . Unfortunately, I am about 70 miles from the dealer and it may be a while before I can get it in again.

I'll post again when (and if) it gets fixed.

Thanks again

Bob
70 mile is nothing. If it fails consistently, just let them make sure parking climate work, and give you a loaner....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the HVCH failure problem too. THe "additional heater" helped warm the car up in the winter, but the real clue was that parking climate from volvo on call would not work until the HVCH was replaced.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Take some pictures and present to the dealer.

I place a portable thermometer in my car near the Climate sensor.

After both preconditioning and driving for extended period, I would (safely) take a couple of sets of pictures of that thermometer, the dash with OAT and clock, and the Climate settings.

It did not take much effort with the dealer as the pictures were worth a thousand words. Just an idea.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update: My XC60 T8 has been in the shop now for a full two weeks. It took them several days to acknowledge that there was a problem. Now, they say they are in contact daily with Volvo to get a real diagnosis. Volvo sends them steps to try, they get the results (or with most recent steps,an error) and then they go around again. So, no diagnosis or fix yet. They did give me an XC60 loaner to use for the duration so I will just keep waiting for a fix. I'll post again if there is any real news.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Final Update - one month after I told the dealer that I thought the HVCH needed to be replaced, they finally finished the work. I though you might like to see the text messages I got throughout the process:

2021-01-19 08:23:02 - Steven here from Kiefer, Joe is still diagnosing, we need to gather as much information as possible and then reach out to Volvo to aid in the diagnosis. Currently we hooked up and scanned for codes, unfortunately we had software issues that hindered our ability to diagnose yesterday. I am hopeful that we will have a diagnosis today and order your replacement parts
2021-01-19 16:55:28 - Bob, still going strong on the diagnosis. I have moved dispatched jobs around to allow Joe time for on call diagnosis with Volvo tomorrow. Thank you
2021-01-21 17:26:01 - Bob, touching bases with you before heading home for the evening. We were able to duplicate the concern we are still communicating with Volvo techline as to which item they recommend we replace. I will update you again tomorrow. Thank you sir
2021-01-25 16:44:08 - Volvo is telling us to unlock the HVCH, clear all DTC's check software, perform total upgrade, then verify all uploads worked and then update Volvo. We will perform this tomorrow and then update Volvo
2021-01-27 16:58:55 - Bob, updating on the progress, we did not get as much time as we would have like to spend on the vehicle. I have time allotted tomorrow and I will update you again. thank you very ,much for your patience
2021-01-28 17:23:22 - Performed the procedure volvo requested, we received an error message and are awaiting our next instructions from volvo
2021-02-01 16:34:39 - Joe did the total upgrade Volvo told us to perform and we are awaiting further instructions.
2021-02-03 16:56:51 - Bob, Volvo will be remotely aiding us in the XC60 repair in the morning. We will have the vehicle hooked up and they will be performing the software uploads and diagnostics
2021-02-04 15:47:41 - Bob, Volvo is overnight shipping us a new High Voltage Heater Control Module. Apologies that we had to jump through this many hoops to get your part ordered. We are hopeful to get you back into your car middle of next week. Thank you for your extreme patience
2021-02-08 15:20:43 - Bob, your part is here, we are awaiting documentation from Volvo to authorize the warranty repair. Lots a blue tape on this and we want all the T's crossed and I's dotted
2021-02-08 15:21:28 - The hybrid vehicles require specific documentation to ensure everyone's safety when de-energizing and energizing the batteries
2021-02-09 15:16:11 - Bob, We will have to wait for the completion of your repair until our master technician's apprentice completes the required training to assist in the EV repair. I will continue to update you on the progress, again thank you for being patient
2021-02-09 15:20:22 - I am hopeful for a completion with in the next 10 days
2021-02-10 17:41:09 – Sent - Wow - 10 more days? Just how unusual is this problem that fixing it takes the better part of a month?
2021-02-11 07:07:03 -The problem is that we have never performed this type of EV repair. Our master technician is certified to perform the repair but Volvo requires an assistant to monitor the repair to ensure the safety of our technician. This requires specific training and tests that must be take before the warranty repair is performed. We are waiting for all of the required tests to be taken and passed and then we may resume the repair. This is a new policy set fourth by Volvo and must be done before a EV Volvo's high voltage system can be worked on
2021-02-15 17:20:36 - All testing has been completed by the technician and I am waiting for the go ahead from Volvo, I will update you tomorrow
2021-02-17 10:48:59 - Repairs are starting right now, I will update you on the progress throughout the day
2021-02-17 14:32:55 - We have heat, we will be doing final checks and making sure everything is operational tomorrow morning. I am hopeful you can pickup tomorrow. I will give you a pick up approval tomorrow
2021-02-17 14:36:54 – Sent - In addition to heat, please make sure the parking climate system works.
2021-02-17 14:37:29 - Yes, that is what we verified right now
2021-02-18 08:19:54 - Bob, you may pick your XC60 up at your convenience today

So after all that, I finally got my XC60 back and all seems to be OK - they did replace the HVCH after all. Fortunately, I insisted that they give me a loaner so did have an older XC60 to use for the whole month.

Bob

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
2021-02-09 15:16:11 - Bob, We will have to wait for the completion of your repair until our master technician's apprentice completes the required training to assist in the EV repair. I will continue to update you on the progress, again thank you for being patient
2021-02-09 15:20:22 - I am hopeful for a completion with in the next 10 days
💩

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like the HVCH is gone on our 7 month old XC60 Recharge too, and at least two weeks to get a new part from Sweden. Love the car, but not a good start for a first-time Volvo owner who has had some concerns about low reliability ratings on Volvos. Dealer at least seems to have diagnosed the problem quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like the HVCH is gone on our 7 month old XC60 Recharge too, and at least two weeks to get a new part from Sweden. Love the car, but not a good start for a first-time Volvo owner who has had some concerns about low reliability ratings on Volvos. Dealer at least seems to have diagnosed the problem quickly.
Update: Two weeks later part still hasn't shipped from Sweeden, so we are driving our 7 month old Hybrid around in Power mode and expensive premium gas cause its the only way we get heat. Not a very happy first time Volvo owner.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts