SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I learned something new this morning with my 5 year old car. There's no headlights on warning. I usually leave the switch in "0" position, which to Volvo means automatic mode. Having recently started a new job, this morning I switched off the headlights as I approached a security gate, as they request you do, but I guess there was enough light outside that I forgot to switch them back to auto mode. I just looked out my window and noticed my parking lights were on!! SO a $40k+ car not only does not have real automatic headlights but also offers no warning when you've left them on!?! C'mon, this is simple programming Volvo!!

Registered
0 doesn't mean automatic. It is however programmable in VIDA and can be set to a) no lights b) park lights c) low beams. In the case of the latter two they'll work the same as if you'd set the knob manually to either of those, except the park light would've turned itself off automatically in that case.

But on the other hand, yes it does have automatic headlights as far as the low beams go. I assume you switched it to the parking lights setting which is designed to stay on regardless of the key position for occasions when you'd want the car to be visible e.g having stopped at the side of the road.

Edit: but no you're right. Even though the parking lights worked as intended I think there should be a dashboard message or a reminder or something when you remove the key, or exit the car or anything much like the way the car chimes if you in a keyless drive car exit the drivers seat with the ignition in mode I. I don't think such a reminder is available on any Volvo since they removed manual low beams which is like, what? 20-30 years ago?

Registered
Actually, the proper setting according to Volvo is that you can't turn the headlights off.
Living in a DRL-mandatory country, what really annoys me are all the cars (Fords, Koreans, many Japanese) that turn on the low beams but nothing else except the dash lights, and then don't have auto headlights or a headlights off warning. Then they are blithely driving around town or even worse a dark country road practically invisible from the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
O is off, not automatic. Don't worry, though. I believe Volvo has the rear running lights lit at all times for safety reasons, so you don't look like these idiots driving their Asian cars around at 1AM with the back of the car completely dark. Plus, the high beams work in the off position on your car, so you never had to actually realize that O means off.

The cars with AUTO headlights have the word on AUTO in the 12:00 position on the dial, and this is where you set it for automatic. With DTRL's active (US/Canada) this simply enables Tunnel Detection and Active High Beam. On 2014+ models where you can shut off the DTRL lights, O actually means off and all the lights go off.

And parking lights are designed to be left on when the car is off and unoccupied, so why would there be a warning?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O is off, not automatic.

And parking lights are designed to be left on when the car is off and unoccupied, so why would there be a warning?
So I don't come back to my car 10 hours later or the next morning to a dead battery..

On MY12, O is off only if DRL are disabled. Otherwise O is all lights on when the engine is running which is effectively a poor mans automatic headlights. Why would anyone not want a simple "ding" with a message stating "Lights are On" when you leave the car with the lights on?

Registered
So I don't come back to my car 10 hours later or the next morning to a dead battery..

On MY12, O is off only if DRL are disabled. Otherwise O is all lights on when the engine is running which is effectively a poor mans automatic headlights. Why would anyone not want a simple "ding" with a message stating "Lights are On" when you leave the car with the lights on?
It's poor implementation not to have automatic headlights especially since they have the light sensor that changes the display brightness even if the headlights are off.
They should have proper DRLs and auto function. My 2001 Toyota had that and I never had to worry about switching on my headlights.
I'm not whining about it but they should have had the auto function all along starting in 2011.
As for the parking lights, I agree, it should warn you about them even if there is a legitimate reason why you'd want them on.
BTW, I've forgotten them on overnight one time and they did not drain the battery. I think since they are LEDs they don't use that much power.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, I've forgotten them on overnight one time and they did not drain the battery. I think since they are LEDs they don't use that much power.
Except for the license plate lights. There's 10 watts right there. Whether the battery dies in a given time frame is dependent on its state of charge and age. I've been greeted with the "Low Battery" warning for no reason on a few occasions. A simple headlight reminder has been around since the 80's. Just surprised Volvo does not implement one.

Registered
What if I told you that instead of warning you that you left the lights on, the car was programmed to shut off the lights and go into a power saving mode when battery voltage gets too low.

Edit: Also, the battery should be able to power those lights for well over 24 hours.

Registered
Except for the license plate lights. There's 10 watts right there. Whether the battery dies in a given time frame is dependent on its state of charge and age. I've been greeted with the "Low Battery" warning for no reason on a few occasions. A simple headlight reminder has been around since the 80's. Just surprised Volvo does not implement one.
Right!
I replaced those with LEDs a while ago. They look great . Which,again, is one of those things Volvo should have done in the first place. There's a lot of small details like this they missed in the first 3 years or so.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Registered
Instead of turning your headlights on with the switch why not just put the high beams on when you approach the gate. They come on even if the lights are off right?

Registered
Instead of turning your headlights on with the switch why not just put the high beams on when you approach the gate. They come on even if the lights are off right?
He needs to switch the lights Off not On at the gate. Turning on the high beams will be the opposite of what they want.

Registered
So I learned something new this morning with my 5 year old car. There's no headlights on warning. I usually leave the switch in "0" position, which to Volvo means automatic mode. Having recently started a new job, this morning I switched off the headlights as I approached a security gate, as they request you do, but I guess there was enough light outside that I forgot to switch them back to auto mode. I just looked out my window and noticed my parking lights were on!! SO a $40k+ car not only does not have real automatic headlights but also offers no warning when you've left them on!?! C'mon, this is simple programming Volvo!!
Our '13 was setup this way, and as it turns out there was an option missing in Sensus to turn DRL's off. It doesnt help your situation because there still is no alert, but if you had truly automatic lights they probably would have been off with that much light.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right!
I replaced those with LEDs a while ago. They look great . Which,again, is one of those things Volvo should have done in the first place. There's a lot of small details like this they missed in the first 3 years or so.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Agreed, a lot of missed opportunities with this car. I remember installing a headlight reminder in a 1980 pinto I once owned. I wonder if I can find one of those devices at the auto parts store to add to my $40k car lol.

Registered
To the title of this thread, I think you mean "parking lights on warning" as the headlights would not stay on when the car is off. I have caught myself a few times with that but after driving these cars for 20 years I've gotten used to it.

Registered
Except for the license plate lights. There's 10 watts right there.
One of the first modifications I did on my V60 was replacing those license plate lights with LED ... looks so much better.

I do agree there should be a warning light on the dashboard when the lights are on ... the DRL on my V60 are on all the time, but I have no idea when the headlights and taillights are on during twilight hours or when in rain ... in the latter case I could receive a ticket from the police of the lights are not on. My previous cars had auto lights too, but also a light on the dashboard, and when the wipers came on all the time (no interval) the headlights would always turn on automatically too ... not on the Volvo however, so I usually turn the switch to have the headlights on when it rains ... and forget to turn it back to 'auto' when I park.

I have the DRL at the front, which means my taillights are not on all the time when driving, only when the headlights turn on too.

Registered
One of the first modifications I did on my V60 was replacing those license plate lights with LED ... looks so much better.

I do agree there should be a warning light on the dashboard when the lights are on ... the DRL on my V60 are on all the time, but I have no idea when the headlights and taillights are on during twilight hours or when in rain ... in the latter case I could receive a ticket from the police of the lights are not on. My previous cars had auto lights too, but also a light on the dashboard, and when the wipers came on all the time (no interval) the headlights would always turn on automatically too ... not on the Volvo however, so I usually turn the switch to have the headlights on when it rains ... and forget to turn it back to 'auto' when I park.

I have the DRL at the front, which means my taillights are not on all the time when driving, only when the headlights turn on too.
This must be a YMMV, in Canada when DRL's are on the rear taillights are on (the only manufacturer I know of that does this).

Registered
A warning indicating your parking lights are on? Is there a car manufacturer that has engineered such a thing, other than the obvious...?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts