SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought my V50 (2005) and the RTI navigation system is not working correctly because of no GPS connection.

I thought this will be a simple fix by buying a new GPS antenna with fakra connector, so I bought this one at eBay:

Unfortunately this is not the solution. I still don't have any GPS connection.
When I go into the hidden menu and check the GPS information, I only see everything at zero. How can I fix this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody with the same problem?

I'm now using my smartphone navigation but it will be nice if the original system also works.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't have your problem but I can only advise you against wasting time or money on it. Factory gps can hardly hold up on par with over 10 years old aftermarket ones, not something that is really usable.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time is not the problem when I can fix something by myself, but of course I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. That's why I'm looking for a DIY solution.

It's an old system but it may be useful in other countries where I don't have any internet connection or when my smartphone has some problems. Maybe I can try to switch the whole GPS unit with one from a scrap car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Time is not the problem when I can fix something by myself, but of course I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. That's why I'm looking for a DIY solution.

It's an old system but it may be useful in other countries where I don't have any internet connection or when my smartphone has some problems. Maybe I can try to switch the whole GPS unit with one from a scrap car.
Well, main problem with factory GPS is being outdated - maps from 2007 hardly hold up today. If you want DIY then maybe you could build a garmin or tomtom unit in there anf make lid open/close like on factory unit with wheel buttons.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a year without car navigation I tried today another GPS module from a scrap car. Still no GPS signal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Today I worked again on this issue. I cleaned the lens of the DVD unit and updated the maps.

What I already tried:
- External GPS antenna
- Another GPS module
- Checked all cables
- Cleaned the lens of the DVD unit
- Updated to the newest 2015/2016 maps
- Latest RTI firmware

It looks like the hardware is ok. Do I need a service update maybe?

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
did you ever figure out what the issue was on this? I have a similar problem but its in an S80. I do get MMM codes in VIDA that the antenna has an open signal and to replace the antenna....but it looks like you did to no resolve.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I wonder if the OP ever solved this. My only thought would be that the
A) main board itself on the GOS unit is broken
or
B) the wiring for the GPS cable itself has broken somewhere.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Does anyone what GPS comm standard was in the car? Could it have gone dark to make room for more updated communication standards?
Nevermind, I looked it up, that ebay receiver is for the L1C platforms and should work as it's backwards compatible. That's weird...wonder if the connector is the issue...I'd pop those guys out of the connector and see if power was coming out of the connector or not...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Does anyone what GPS comm standard was in the car? Could it have gone dark to make room for more updated communication standards?
Nevermind, I looked it up, that ebay receiver is for the L1C platforms and should work as it's backwards compatible. That's weird...wonder if the connector is the issue...I'd pop those guys out of the connector and see if power was coming out of the connector or not...
Yeah, I'd definitely check to see if the connector is supplying any power at all to the unit.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely check to see if the connector is supplying any power at all to the unit.

I went and got the same antenna and like the OP still no signal.

When you all said check the connector, are you talking about the one on the back of the MMM?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yes, check to see if there is voltage coming out of the connector where the GPS cable plugs in at. If there is no voltage coming from the connector, you know the module itself is bad and not the GPS.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Yes, check to see if there is voltage coming out of the connector where the GPS cable plugs in at. If there is no voltage coming from the connector, you know the module itself is bad and not the GPS.

Not sure I know how to check voltage on this type of connector.

Sent from my obamaphone.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Can you post a pic of it?

It's a fakra connector. I'm not sure what if any voltage it gets

Sent from my obamaphone.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
It's a fakra connector. I'm not sure what if any voltage it gets

Sent from my obamaphone.
Not sure exactly how to connect to it with a multimeter. Does the GPS connect with one wire? Or is there a data and power wire?

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
nah I'm pretty sure these antennas aren't supplied a voltage.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
nah I'm pretty sure these antennas aren't supplied a voltage.
Types of GPS antennas

Active

What defines an "active" GPS antenna is the inclusion of a Low Noise Amplifier (LNA). The LNA is necessary to make up for the signal loss that is inherent in all antenna cables. Active antennas require power from the GPS receiver to power the LNA. This power is obtained through the receiver's external antenna jack.

Because active antennas run off of the GPS receiver's power, this puts extra drain on the receiver's batteries. Most receivers detect the presence of an active antenna by the load (current drain) and automatically switch off the internal antenna providing the load is above a certain point.

Passive

Passive antennas (also called substrates) do not include an LNA and therefore do not require power. Because this type of antenna is not powered, cable length usually cannot exceed one meter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts