SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had my drl's turned off and now when in the 0 position the fog lights dont come on.

is there more than one code when turning off the drl's?

anyone work around this, like wiring the fogs themselves?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I did not think they ever came on when on 0.
I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hmm, the new xc90 I had as a loaner had the drl's disabled. The fog lights did not display when the lights were on 0.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Fogs on at position 0 (by themselves) has never been an option.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
With DRL enabled, you can have the fogs on. But if you get DRL disabled, no lights are on when in position 0. Only option is to turn the headlights on or use the parking lights.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Why they use the low beams for DRL and not the "city light" (small bulb in the high beam reflector) just baffles me. Burning up the bulbs that you need to use at night for DRL is kind of a safety issue I would think. Thats why I always run the high beam during the day on motorcycles, so I dont burn out the low beam.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Fogs on at position 0 (by themselves) has never been an option.
With DRL enabled, you can have the fogs on. But if you get DRL disabled, no lights are on when in position 0. Only option is to turn the headlights on or use the parking lights.
Going along with what they said, when you get your DRLs deactivated, the 'euro" spec lighting software is programmed. When using this, no exterior lights are on a position 0, other then your turn signals.

Why they use the low beams for DRL and not the "city light" (small bulb in the high beam reflector) just baffles me. Burning up the bulbs that you need to use at night for DRL is kind of a safety issue I would think. Thats why I always run the high beam during the day on motorcycles, so I dont burn out the low beam.
Wouldn't you rather have your low beam burnt out on a bike at night rather than your high beam? Just seems more logical to me. But my bikes are not riden at night so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what i thought thanks.

i think i will look into wiring the fogs another way. it also annoys me that you have to turn the fogs on EVERY time you start the car.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wouldn't you rather have your low beam burnt out on a bike at night rather than your high beam? Just seems more logical to me. But my bikes are not riden at night so I wouldn't know.
No, its best if the high beam burns out. You NEED low beam. If you only have high beam at night you are going to blind everyone in on coming traffic.

·
Registered
320 Posts
No, its best if the high beam burns out. You NEED low beam. If you only have high beam at night you are going to blind everyone in on coming traffic.
Believe it or not, it is also very noticeable during the day when motorcycles have their high beams on, coming towards you.

But like I said, my headlight doesn't serve any purpose when I ride

·
Registered
939 Posts
+1

i alway put the parking lights during the day... but the stupid car doesnt turn them off when i turn off the car. even my "cheap" toyota does this!

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
i think i will look into wiring the fogs another way. it also annoys me that you have to turn the fogs on EVERY time you start the car.
As said many times before: Volvo considers fog lights to only be used in fog. Not as added aggressive visual enhancements for overcast and nighttime driving.

+1

i alway put the parking lights during the day... but the stupid car doesnt turn them off when i turn off the car. even my "cheap" toyota does this!
They're parking lights, theoretically lights for when you're out of your car and it's parked.

I wish we could have the parking lights on in the front with the fogs (like the 2012 C30s DRL set up), but without the taillights.

I think Volvo is just literal with their lighting labels.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
i am going to try and find the "constant power" wire that controls this and re wire it up to a source that turns off with the key out.
Theoretically... It's all at the switch. I used a wire from the headlight switch as my "on when the car is on" power source for my gauges. You should be able to disconnect the fog light wire from the fog light button and splice it into the headlight constant power wire.

I think... It makes sense in my mind, but maybe this wouldn't work.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I believe that this is true with all manufacturers and may be law in the US that the fog lights don't operate with out the other light on (tail lights, side markers etc.). I think it comes from the days of running booze during prohibition. You wanted to see where you were going but didn't want to be seen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts