SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks I just received my R today and e brake no workie. Seller disclosed this issue and was reflected in sale price. Car has elevate slotted rotors. Seller says it may be beyond adjustment. Big deal or not?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Seller says it may be beyond adjustment. Big deal or not?
Well, depends if you need the parking brake or not :p
Try to adjust it first. If that does not work, check the condition of parking brake shoes. Make sure that you have OEM parts in there. I had to replace a set of new aftermarket parking brake shoes because of very same issue as yours.
If your rotors are two piece with aluminum hats, make sure that the surface where parking brake engages is not worn. If previous owner used the parking while moving, this may be your issue.

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
Not sure where you live but when I lived in NY it would not pass inspection without a functioning e - brake.

Yours not functioning could be anything from shoes delaminated, worn drum, or stretched cable. If it were me I would not drive the car until I knew it wasn't delaminated shoes as driving around with those rattling around back there can end in bad things.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx. I'm assuming it won't pass inspection as well, knew that going in. Well it will go to my Indy for a thorough going over. Hopefully he won't find anything else. Seller also mentioned because car was living at altitude (CO) I should reflash tune?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Thx. I'm assuming it won't pass inspection as well, knew that going in. Well it will go to my Indy for a thorough going over. Hopefully he won't find anything else. Seller also mentioned because car was living at altitude (CO) I should reflash tune?
it is probably a good idea to make sure flash matches where you are to ensure you aren't running rich/lean. Your tune can probably account for it but it all depends i suppose if it was a base tune or modified for that car/elevation in-particular.

As for e-brake i suppose it could be a rotor i issue if the adjustment of parking brake is outside the tolerances of drum portion of the rear disk where you can't get the pads to make contact. I'm sure a good mechanic could remedy that though with a little customization. It's probably more simple than that, where pads are delaminated or just need to be adjusted.

congrats on the new ride btw. 3rd isn't it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts