SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, the titles says it all....i got no boost pressure... 0, nada, death, muerto.

i give some gas and in first gear i doesn't feel that lazy (even without boost building) then when changing gears the car feels even more and more like a transexual cow...i bought the phuzzy TCV and replaced my old worn tcv with the phuzzy one....

my turbo died or something like that ?? or what the heck happened to my tcv...??

No CEL, 71K

what to do? :(

i hate when little stuff like this happen, its been a love, hate relationship with my car right now...

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Couple thoughts here, was it right after switching the TCV? Did it work at all after changing the TCV? Have you swapped back to stock TCV? Any other major repairs lately? Intercooler pipes off? ( clamps loose? rag in pipes?)

You can run it with the WG vac line disconnected but you must be very careful not to overboost in this way. just to see if it makes any boost.

If all else fails you can try to measure boost coming right out of the turbocharger rather than at the manifold....maybe some blockage.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the phuzzy worked for a while, sometimes it spiked to like 15 PSI (scary boost spikes) but it was working intermittently but hitting 10 psi

the worn tcv didn't let me pass from 6 psi, have to change it back.....

gonna check pipes, clamps etc.... maybe tomorrow

could it possibly be a bad turbo ? :S

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I had insane boost spikes with the Phuzzy TCV, so I switched back to my iPd one and it was silky smooth again. Did you replace the vacuum lines to the TCV when you swapped it?

My first step would definitely be to switch back to the original TCV just to see if it goes back to normal.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didn't replace vacuum lines they looked fine (i know eventually i will need to change them)

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
To test whether it's the turbo, you should first check whether the wastegate is operational, reach back there and try to move the rod and see if it swings. Assuming it does, then try bypassing the servo. Here's the marked-up photo from the TCV install thread - the servo is the silver cylinder at the left, and the "yellow" port goes to it.

Pull the line off the servo and bend it over on itself with a piece of wire, to close it off. This means the wastegate can't be controlled by the ECU, and in theory it should be pretty much closed (full boost full time). Then, start the engine and CAREFULLY bring the revs up while watching the boost. It should rise. If it doesn't, then push on the wastegate rod and see if you can get it to boost. If no-go, then it may be the turbo. I think this is unlikely, you'd have seen oil everywhere, or some other physical indication/noise.

If it does start boosting, then look to the controls. Zero boost means the wastegate isn't ever closing. That means the servo is stuck, or the TCV and/or vacuum plumbing is wrong. That can be an adventure.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it common on this car wastegate going bad?

hopefully gonna try that today

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
is it common on this car wastegate going bad?
Pretty much unheard of, so far anyway. I'm hoping it's a stuck actuator, either the rod is jammed or the cylinder is bad.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry for being a noob, but how to check the actuator and/or if it is stuck??

btw replaced the tcv with the old one, nothing....No Turbo yet....

btw my mechanic told me i need new struts.....(sport ones since im lowered)

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
If you lean over the engine and look down at the exhaust manifold,you will see a silver rod with a knurled nut on it. This is the wastegate actuator rod. It is pushed to the right (as you face the engine, i.e. it moves toward the driver's side) by boost pressure acting on the servo cylinder, which the TCV meters to it under control of the ECU. When it moves this way, it pushes the wastegate open, thereby "wasting" exhaust flow by letting it go to the downpipe without going through the turbo.

Do not, under any circumstances, turn this nut. But, try moving it left and right to see what happens. In theory, with the engine off the rod should move right but not left. If it moves left, that means something is stuck and the wastegate is being held open. If it doesn't move at all, that's bad too. If it's flapping around that's another possibility.

Assuming it's intact and not frozen, then disconnect the vacuum line (actually, pressure line) from the silver cylinder and close it off as I described in the earlier post. Then start the engine and measure the boost response. Don't do anything else until you check back here. :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If you lean over the engine and look down at the exhaust manifold,you will see a silver rod with a knurled nut on it. This is the wastegate actuator rod. It is pushed to the right (as you face the engine, i.e. it moves toward the driver's side) by boost pressure acting on the servo cylinder, which the TCV meters to it under control of the ECU. When it moves this way, it pushes the wastegate open, thereby "wasting" exhaust flow by letting it go to the downpipe without going through the turbo.

Do not, under any circumstances, turn this nut.
What are you talking about ?!? Turning this nut is the first mod many people do with their cars. It makes the turbo spool up lower in the RPM range (also can make it cut out if turned too much)

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
He's trying to diagnose a serious problem. He shouldn't touch a thing until the root cause is understood.

Even if were working fine, touching that adjustment is very risky, unless you know exactly what you're doing. Sounds like you do, in which case, great!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Do not, under any circumstances, turn this nut. But, try moving it left and right to see what happens. In theory, with the engine off the rod should move right but not left. If it moves left, that means something is stuck and the wastegate is being held open. If it doesn't move at all, that's bad too. If it's flapping around that's another possibility.

Assuming it's intact and not frozen, then disconnect the vacuum line (actually, pressure line) from the silver cylinder and close it off as I described in the earlier post. Then start the engine and measure the boost response. Don't do anything else until you check back here. :)

ok so i try to move the rod to the right, and it does move with some force (it was hot as hell lol)

the only thing remaining its that i need to remove the vacuum hose that comes from the servo?

what do i do with the vacuum hose hanging when removed from the servo do i cover the hole with something in order to be sealed until i test the turbo?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Ok, if the rod moves that's good, and the force is normal because the servo is holding it back since there's no pressure.

Sorry if I was being terse - what I'm suggesting you do is to pull the vacuum line off the servo and pinch it off. I suggested you fold it over on itself and hold that way with a pieve of wire. But you could also use a clamp, or a plug, anything that can hold back a few psi. Actually, for the test you're about to do, you could leave it hanging altogether, it might hiss and flap around a bit though.

I'm assuming you know what to do when testing. You sound a little uncertain... if you aren't clear, then be careful. Without the servo connected, don't drive it! You could overboost easily, if the turbo is working.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now i understand, i am certain ...its just that sometimes i don't understand things very clearly since english its not my strong language lol

but going to try that in a couple of hours....

p.s i accidentally reverse my car into parking security stoping pole $%@%^! :(

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
did the last thing about the servo, still no boost.....

what your final guess is ?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Ouch. If the wastegate is closed, there's no boost and no CEL (which would indicate an air leak), then the impeller isn't spinning. The next step is, unfortunately, to look into the turbo... :(

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah thats what im going to do, i ordered a rebuilt kit from ebay for this turbo...ill let you know how this goes...

thanks anyways man

1 - 18 of 18 Posts