SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Re: no boost & no water temp gauge ([email protected])

The engine temperature coolant sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. It's telling the ECU that the engine is overheating, and thus the ECU sets the vehicle into limp-home mode.

Resetting the ECU may help . . . but then you're running the risk of potentially erasing a stored DTC that is there for a reason. If you erase it, the vehicle may run properly, but on a faulty signal from the ECT. In other words, there is the potential that the engine could be overheating, but the ECT is telling the ECU it's not . . . and that would obviously be a VERY bad thing.

Sometimes DIY isn't the best way to go. Take it to your retailer and let them fault trace it.

· Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Re: no boost & no water temp gauge (JimLill)

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
The fact that there is no idiot lights at all points to something other than a sensor. I'd look at the CEM connectors.

Although this is typically true (when a sensor fails, a warning light comes on), I've personally seen this situation occur on R's several times. So from previous experience with situations like what was described in the initial post, my educated guess is that it's the ECT sensor.

Also, it's entirely possible that a code has been stored, but it isn't something that the vehicle passes on to the consumer as a warning light. I see DTC's stored all the time that aren't visible to the consumer.

Anyways . . . we'll find out what the problem is soon enough.

· Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Re: no boost & no water temp gauge (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
You're a noobie who speaketh without knowledge of Volvo

Actually, I believe there is a software patch that works in concert with the new ECT sensor. We experienced this exact same problem with one of our lot cars . . . vehicle only had 5 miles on it at the time.

· Premium Member
3,113 Posts

I doubt it's repairable by software alone. Otherwise, Chris' car would be done already instead of sitting there waiting on a PART to come in.

· Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Re: no boost & no water temp gauge (pizzapizza)

Yeah, that part. That part that on our car set a permanent fault code. That part that AFTER we downloaded software STILL stored a permanent fault code. That part that would ONLY let us erase the DTC and keep it erased AFTER that part was replaced.

Yes, THAT is the part I'm talking about. Capiche?

And before you even think about responding, yes, we did the proper fault tracing, and YES, it was THE PART that was faulty. Otherwise, had software alone resolved the issue, then the DTC would have been able to have been erased, thereby indicating that replacing the part was not necessary. And, thus, we would not have replaced the part.

You are incredibly inexperienced if you actually think that VCNA's TNN's are 100% correct all of the time. Don't go there with me.

· Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Re: no boost & no water temp gauge (pizzapizza)

Quote, originally posted by pizzapizza »
which part?

The engine coolant temp sensor was what we determined was faulty. Told the ECU the vehicle was running hot, and thus the ECU went into limp-home mode.

I tell you, it's amazing how much of an absolute DOG the R is when it's in limp-home mode. I think a 240 DL would be faster.

· Premium Member
3,113 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Hmph

Ok, new one on me. Guess we were both wrong

Yeah, I guess so. In our instance, it definitely was the part.

Nevertheless, it's interesting to know that the 06's have different software.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.