SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You can always add an amp and then sub...

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My car does not have an amp in the trunk, so does it mean the subwoofer cannot be added?
Not necessarily. It may just mean that it is integrated to the head unit rather than a separate component. I know the two exist for our cars. The tricky part is how to plug it in if wiring has not been pre-installed...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not necessarily. It may just mean that it is integrated to the head unit rather than a separate component. I know the two exist for our cars. The tricky part is how to plug it in if wiring has not been pre-installed...
For sure, the amp is integrated into the head unit, so how can I figure out if it's prewired at the back? I have the basic performance sound system. Thx!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

I found this cable at the left side of the trunk. Is this the pre-wiring for the amp?
Pic does not show on my computer...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
That's not it. This is more like a drain hose for the sun roof or else... look for some bundle of cable wrapped in some black tape or plastic sleeve with some un-used connector on its end. Pre-wired wires have typically a pre-assembled connector.

. . . something looking like that (NOT ACTUAL CABLE)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks TG. Could it be found on the right hand side of the trunk? I believe I found a white adapter for the 12V outlet, and a green adapter for something else. But shouldn't it be on the left hand side?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about this. Do you think the connectors in these pictures (green and grey) are for the subwoofer? I found them on the right hand side of the boot.

The white connector is for the 12V outlet for sure.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You guys have me thinking about this upgrade now... I can't wait to check for wires in my trunk when I get back to my car.

So how much does the equipment cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about this. Do you think the connectors on these pictures (green and grey) are for the subwoofer? I found them on the right hand side of the boot.

The white connector is for the 12V outlet for sure.[/QUOTE]

I can't tell you if it's the one cable. There are a few accessory that can use a cable in the rear.
However one way to know for sure is that our systems uses fiber-optics. If you can see two fiber optic termination within the connector than you know that's what it is.
If you don't see it it does not mean it isn't the cable in question...

No idea on how much it cost.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't tell you if it's the one cable. There are a few accessory that can use a cable in the rear.
However one way to know for sure is that our systems uses fiber-optics. If you can see two fiber optic termination within the connector than you know that's what it is.
If you don't see it it does not mean it isn't the cable in question...

No idea on how much it cost.
Do these cables look like fibre optic to you? My car comes with the raised trunk floor, so I assume they put it in there for a purpose. Other than the 12V outlet and subwoofer, what other accessories could be installed at the back?

The cost for the subwoofer alone is around $500+ to $600, plus software download. So it's an expensive upgrade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My s40 did not come pre wired, and it is surprisingly not that hard to wire up an amp yourself. If you un hook the four clips on the left hand side of the boot you can slide off the trunk liner. Under that should be the black stock amp where you can find a bundle of wires wrapped in black tape, with a green connector on the end. This is what you need to hook into. If you go buy any audio shop you can pick up a high/low bypass filter which translates the normal frequency for the door speakers, to a level the sub can use. Follow the hook up instruction supplied with that (which color goes to left + an -, right + an -) Then plug your rca cable into the converter then you'll have your input. The green wire in that bundle is your remote (turn on) wire which you'll want to hook your amps remote wire to so that your amp will turn on whenever your stereo is on. Then you just need to hook up the ground and power wires, mount your amp wherever you'd like and hook your sub to it. Sorry that was kind of simplified, I just wanted to keep the post fairly short. It really is not to hard though. Hope I helped!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the advice. It seems it is doable.
I don't think my car has an amp at the back as you can see from the pics in this post. However, I do find the some wires wrapped up with a green connector at the end. This is found on the right hand side of the trunk liner. Is this the cable you are referring to?

Another concerns is the software - would it work for the performance sound system?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The green bundle I am referring to should be made up of 4 sets off wires with 2 wires in each set. If I get a chance I will try and maneuver my sub around and get a picture of the amp/wires your looking for. The software does not really affect it, the only problem is, unless you get a dealer to reflash your head unit, you won't have an independent sub control on the unit. But since it is just wired in with the feed from the door speakers, you can control it pretty well with the bass setting. I have my 1200W amp hooked up with an independent control so I can control it that way. But the two methods mixed together work pretty well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If you could send the pics of the wires, that would be very helpful. Thank you so very much.
It looks like the wires you are referring to are those that I have posted here. And it's also good to know that the software is only for control settings. Getting warmer and warmer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry I haven't responded yet. I've been pretty slammed with work. Im off this coming friday though, so hopefully I can get my trunk stripped out and take a picture because I have to get in there to do some more work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts