SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would let you know. Heard it from a Volvo trainer last week. Our only guess is you are supposed to use the Tune in app.. which makes you use data.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Doesn't surprise me, all the EV's I've owned didn't have AM enabled due to the AC motor wreaking havoc on the AM band reception.

Tune-in app seems to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is there any way to have the built-in apps like TuneIn utilize your phone's hotspot, or are you forced to use the car's own interent connection?

·
Registered
559 Posts
This only applies to the T8 hybrid mode rightl? The SC/TC T6 still has AM Radio?

I often turn on am radio to catch traffic updates and/or news updates from the local news channel -- and occasionally to listen to sports play-by-play if I'm driving home and missing a game. It'd be a big PITA to have to deal w/ an app for something that should be as simple as hitting a preset button on my stereo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
AM radio works fine on my Tesla, so not sure about the AC motor issues as an excuse.

Tune-in is good though, guess i'll be using that on the T8.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have AM radio on my Kia Soul EV, which is also fully electric, and it seems to work OK. Seems like a pretty silly thing for Volvo to cut out.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
maybe Volvo knows that AM radio is a dominant source or "road rage" in America, so they have deleted AM radio to make us all safer.....

·
Registered
580 Posts
maybe Volvo knows that AM radio is a dominant source or "road rage" in America, so they have deleted AM radio to make us all safer.....
Yup, I smell a vast left wing conspiracy here. Or maybe, Swedes don't understand conservative talk radio...

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Yup, I smell a vast left wing conspiracy here. Or maybe, Swedes don't understand conservative talk radio...
or maybe there just aren't any good baseball games to listen to in Sweden....

(that's probably 90% of my AM radio listening)

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Is there any way to have the built-in apps like TuneIn utilize your phone's hotspot, or are you forced to use the car's own interent connection?
Yes, you can use your phone as a hotspot while listening to TuneIn.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Anyone try to get the local radio stations on Tuned In. Such as a local small college football team?
The best way to find out is to set up a free account, through the TuneIn app, from a computer or mobile device. It is much easier and faster to search by genre, language, location, etc. Then, set them up as favorires and log in to your TuneIn account from Sensus.

Many local stations, that allow free streaming on the Internet, appear in TuenIn but not all.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The best way to find out is to set up a free account, through the TuneIn app, from a computer or mobile device. It is much easier and faster to search by genre, language, location, etc. Then, set them up as favorires and log in to your TuneIn account from Sensus.

Many local stations, that allow free streaming on the Internet, appear in TuenIn but not all.
Do you have any technical reason why they are not using AM radio? Some of the areas which my customer live in do not have an internet signal.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Do you have any technical reason why they are not using AM radio? Some of the areas which my customer live in do not have an internet signal.
does the "why" really matter?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I can understand a mechanical or technical reason why not. I can't except on this a marketing reason.
I only meant that it doesn't matter. No matter what the reason is, Volvo is not going to change course and put AM into the car you or I are going to buy.

And to be honest, I can understand a marketing reason to not put AM in the new XC90 (though I might disagree), but I could NOT understand a technical or mechanical reason, since that would be complete bull.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts