SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VR in for service and dealer offers free nitrogen for my tires. Do I want this and why/why not?:confused:

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
If you keep a close eye on your tire pressures you should be just fine with regular air. Also it's much easier to make adjustment at home if you have a compressor.
I think a better investment is a GOOD accurate pressure gauge.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
If you keep a close eye on your tire pressures you should be just fine with regular air. Also it's much easier to make adjustment at home if you have a compressor.
I think a better investment is a GOOD accurate pressure gauge.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm happy with my 78% nitrogen blend. Best of all, its free

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Sold tires for a living back in the day... we sold nitrogen too...

It's... ok. It does no harm. It does stay more stable. But if O2 were that bad INSIDE your tires, your car would be sitting on the rims with rusted out steel belts...

I completely agree with what Our R said, spend $10 on a GOOD tire gauge and fill your own air.

I'm happy with my 78% nitrogen blend. Best of all, its free
+2 :D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The only argument I could make for N2 is that it is good for vehicles with TPMS. TPMS sensor failures (other than at the hands of uncaring tire techs) are from moisture intrusion. N2 is dry.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
VR in for service and dealer offers free nitrogen for my tires. Do I want this and why/why not?:confused:
Yes. More stable than air, little to no water content. The basic idea is to reduce the tire from expanding under hot conditions or high performance conditions where water molocules expand the tire. This translates to longer tire life and better handling. All the Costco's I go to do it and some of the other tire stores do it. I've used it since CloakedS60R recommended it to me about 4 years ago. I also believe this is the only thing the Nissan GTR uses.

also adding: another thought that Cloaked gave me at the time was that when you fill your tires at a tire dealer, they should have a water catcher, which should limit the amount of water in the tires. However, when you use a road side pump or personal pump, those do not have water catchers and water is added to the tire pressure. At each fill up, you'll be adding to the percentage of water that is already there... which in turn effects heat and the expanding of the tire in high performance conditions.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I repeatedly must put air in the XC-90's Pirellis because I buy 'me at Discount Tire (Costco doesn't sell size for 19"). I never ever have to make adjustmen to the Michelins on the R...bought at Costco with Nitrogen. I'd buy where I could get nitrogen if I could.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nitrogen only makes a difference under extreme condition ie track events when u can have over 10 psi difference.
Street driving won't make much difference and may be not even under spirited driving.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yes. More stable than air, little to no water content. The basic idea is to reduce the tire from expanding under hot conditions or high performance conditions where water molocules expand the tire. This translates to longer tire life and better handling. All the Costco's I go to do it and some of the other tire stores do it. I've used it since CloakedS60R recommended it to me about 4 years ago. I also believe this is the only thing the Nissan GTR uses.

also adding: another thought that Cloaked gave me at the time was that when you fill your tires at a tire dealer, they should have a water catcher, which should limit the amount of water in the tires. However, when you use a road side pump or personal pump, those do not have water catchers and water is added to the tire pressure. At each fill up, you'll be adding to the percentage of water that is already there... which in turn effects heat and the expanding of the tire in high performance conditions.
Speak for yourself. My air compressors (both at the house and at the shop) have moisture traps on them (and installed correctly, far enough down line to actually catch the water after it condenses out from the heat of compression)

I have mine set up so I can paint with either compressor. Dry, clean air is imperative, and the added bonus is good air in the tires and keeps the other air powered tools happy.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Speak for yourself. My air compressors (both at the house and at the shop) have moisture traps on them (and installed correctly, far enough down line to actually catch the water after it condenses out from the heat of compression)

I have mine set up so I can paint with either compressor. Dry, clean air is imperative, and the added bonus is good air in the tires and keeps the other air powered tools happy.
And I agree with Capt Hook, if you maintain your compressor ( drain it often, and filters) it will keep the moisture out of your lines, tools, tires etc. Most shops, service station don't keep up on it.

As I said before, regularly check your pressures and spend the few bucks for a good gauge. If you don't have room for a compressor, even a small 12v one will allow you to add air as long as you have a gauge that is accurate.
Here's 2 links of places I use for tire gauges:
QuickCar Blue gauges

LongAceRacing

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

So what your point is, that everyone is welcome at your place to fill up or they need to use your station for fill up? I think you missed the point which is majority speaking.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I used to work at a dealership (not volvo) and for the years I was there every benz came from the dealer with nitrogen. Yet when the cars came in for service we just tops the tires off with 02 out of the hose... Not saying everyone does this, but going downstairs and setting up the hydrogen machine to add .5 to 1 psi to one tire on a car was not happening... Just keep that in mind when you pay extra for nitrogen. Though for a free vacuum of the air out and fill (a promotion we had going in the shop) is a no brainer. Why not do it?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I used to work at a dealership (not volvo) and for the years I was there every benz came from the dealer with nitrogen. Yet when the cars came in for service we just tops the tires off with 02 out of the hose... Not saying everyone does this, but going downstairs and setting up the hydrogen machine to add .5 to 1 psi to one tire on a car was not happening... Just keep that in mind when you pay extra for nitrogen. Though for a free vacuum of the air out and fill (a promotion we had going in the shop) is a no brainer. Why not do it?
You actually had an Oxygen tank fill the tires? Or just air from the atmosphere (which is like 78% nitrogen)?

As many have already alluded to, the benefit of an "N2" fill is the fact there is zero water vapor in your tires. If you just had really dry atmospheric air, that would be nearly as good as N2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts